Author Topic: Luria  (Read 367489 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Luria
« Reply #705: January 15, 2013, 04:44:46 PM »
Falkirk isn't weeks away from the Lurias.

I didn't say weeks: I said a week.

And a war with D'Hara will involve just as much sailing and wandering through starvation-ridden deserts.

The former isn't true: it doesn't take as long to sail to D'Hara as it does to Falkirk.

The latter, even if it were true, isn't particularly relevant: provisions are much easier to come by now, and we would only need them while we were in the Desert of Silhouettes itself.

At least for a time, the war against D'Hara would be happening directly on our western land border. Yes, after that it would require sailing, either along an old sea route or on the new sea zones, but only to embark in Sallowtown, arrive in the sea zone, and then make landfall somewhere on the D'Haran coast.

LN has no simple border conflicts. Its why the Lurias have managed to have their own, mostly-isolated politics.

While, strictly speaking, that's true, it's very incomplete.

The Lurias have only had internal politics for so long because until relatively recently, they were entirely surrounded by rogue regions. Pian en Luries was utterly, completely isolated for a very long time. The only conflict that was even possible was against Fissoa, and they were relatively pathetic enemies. If they had been a greater threat, the history of Luria would have played out very, very differently. (Possibly shorter, depending on how able we were to band together against an external threat.)

By the time other realms were close enough for it to be even a remote possibility, the culture of politicking and infighting was just too ingrained.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan