Author Topic: The War of the Hearth Right  (Read 69007 times)

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
Re: Sorraine
« Reply #45: June 03, 2012, 08:22:02 PM »
Is it just me, or did Sorraine suddenly become lesbian central?

Did you get lost and end up in Aenilia?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: June 03, 2012, 08:57:00 PM »
Oh, get over it. This isn't a call for hate crimes. We just went from nothing to, apparently, two seemingly unconnected characters starting up the same things.

And, I don't want things going down the same path as the magical-wolf-riding, cookie-baking, tackle-hugging, anime lesbian schoolgirl duchesses of Aenilia.

I can deal with any topic as long as it's handled maturely. But I don't have great faith that the player base at large will do that.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: June 03, 2012, 09:24:14 PM »
And why should this even warrant a comment? As a bi-sexual myself, I find it worrying if that was an issue at all.
So am I, but I think we should be mindful of the time period BM is set in.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: June 03, 2012, 09:26:16 PM »

Hmm, the word "lynching" springs to mind upon seeing this post. Now that would make for some great RP!  :P

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #49: June 03, 2012, 09:33:24 PM »

Yes, but this isn't Dwilight. And while I don't mind it IC, the forums are OOC.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: June 03, 2012, 11:07:27 PM »

I'm refusing to read anything that isn't either short or written by Caspius/Selene. What's going on?
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
  • Current family: Sussex. Old family: Octavius.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51: June 03, 2012, 11:47:06 PM »
Hold one, I haven't seen *any* lesbian RPs. So what's everyone talking about?

Madigan

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: June 04, 2012, 03:04:46 AM »

Wait, is this not the lesbian character realm? False advertising!

Hold one, I haven't seen *any* lesbian RPs. So what's everyone talking about?

Belruel's RP touched briefly on her sexuality - which is just a facet of her character and won't be flaunted about.

Hmm, the word "lynching" springs to mind upon seeing this post. Now that would make for some great RP!  :P

I'd love to see someone try and lynch Belruel. They'd find themselves missing a few inches off the top  ;D
Silverfire: So who married Alice?
Woelfy: She's married to Hendrick Madigan
Silverfire: How much would it cost for someone to assasinate Hendrick Madigan for me

Arundel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: June 04, 2012, 08:21:03 AM »

Here are some interesting facts on that topic. Specifically to section 4 on homosexuality. I will quote a section of it:

There is, however, evidence of highly placed figures that were homosexuals. King Richard I (the Lionheart) of England was thought to be homosexual; it is rumoured that he met his wife Berenegaria while in a sexual relationship with her brother, the future King Sancho VII of Navarre. It is also reported that he and King Philip II of France were sexually involved. An historian of the time said they “ate from the same dish and at night slept in one bed” and had a “passionate love between them”.

Yes. I googled medieval sexuality. Get over it.

EDIT:

I just joined Sorraine (Sir Yarvik). Thanks for the welcoming words @King Caspius!

The RP is pretty heavy to digest, not knowing what's going on though :) I'll get into it

No problem :P. On the RP, I agree. Currently, its a little hard to digest especially with the walls of text and the fast pace between characters. I'm aiming to implement something more moderated and much more manageable to participate in. What I could do is make message groups for different locations in the palace/feasting areas. The people in those message groups could interact with each other, and should they wish to move, they post their 'transitional' RPs (which I hope are brief) realm-wide so I can move them. This obviously takes some dedication from me, and perhaps some organization by the players, but a possibility. If anything requires the entire audience, or more nobles than a message group can fit, then it can be posted realm-wide as well.

Just brainstorming right now.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 08:31:06 AM by Arundel »
The adherents of different religions in a realm should compete for power, influence, and fresh converts. They don't even have to be killing each other to do so. I wish people promoted the prosperity of their religions the same way they promoted the growth and prosperity of their realms. - Geronus

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #54: June 04, 2012, 09:05:47 AM »
Does not sound like a bad idea, I've never seen message groups used in that way :)

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #55: June 04, 2012, 02:16:20 PM »
By the way, player of Caspius, Henzo sent Caspius a personal letter a couple days ago.

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #56: June 04, 2012, 05:45:55 PM »
Here are some interesting facts on that topic. Specifically to section 4 on homosexuality. I will quote a section of it:

Yes. I googled medieval sexuality. Get over it.

Oh, certainly people had homosexual sex with each other in the middle ages . . . however, they probably didn't identify as homosexual as such (though there is some debate over this).  Regardless, it was not generally well looked upon and didn't happen out in the open, since as that same section points out, it was viewed as being wrong and had strong punishments attached to it (though tolerance did vary from time period to time period and place to place, but to my understanding, it was never completely 'in the open').

My objection stems not from it happening in BM, but from how it is usually portrayed in BM.  If you're going to do it, sure, but do it right.

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #57: June 04, 2012, 06:55:48 PM »
I usually avoid the subject in RP because it's tough to do right and invites more meta-conversation about the RP than it invites RP, but it seems to me that if you subtract the Catholic church, even your ignorant medieval noble is probably not going to care too much what his neighbors take to bed. A little bit closer to pre-Christian Roman views on the subject.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #58: June 04, 2012, 07:34:57 PM »
Romans wouldn't really care who you would bed, it's all about the way you do it. For instance, the mouth is closely related to honour/speaking the truth. Let's just say you wouldn't want to be on the receiving end :P Someone on Reddit did an AMA on Ancient Sexuality recently :)

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #59: June 04, 2012, 08:44:07 PM »
I just came to Sorraine with one character and I like what I'm seeing so far. Actually, I just paused him so I could unpause my priest character from EC (who was a priest of CoI of course) that I wrote a couple really nice RPs for. I plan on bringing him to Sorraine to join the Church of Sartan. Could make for some interesting plot lines if he tries introduce the other three gods from the CoI pantheon into the Church of Sartan...

Unfortunately the game won't allow me to emigrate a priest, even though my religion is dead. I got an IG message that I would be returned to the Warrior class, but that was a lie. I'm still a priest. So then I tried to change classes and found I couldn't do that because I wasn't in my similarly dead realm. So I joined the realm whose region I am in. And now, of course, I can't change classes because I haven't been in the realm long enough. Stupid restrictions.

If any of these are bugs, let me know and I'll file bug reports.