Author Topic: The War of the Hearth Right  (Read 68687 times)

Ender

• Noble Lord
  • Neill Family
    • View Profile
Re: The War of the Hearth Right
« Reply #210: October 14, 2012, 09:33:27 PM »
When you threaten to betray an ally with the help of yet another ally, people tend to get weary. However, you're lucky that they were hesitant, or else maybe things would be much worse for you than they are now.

What now?

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #211: October 15, 2012, 02:50:23 AM »
As Bill O'Reily says:

I don't know what that is, I haven't seen that.

Ender

• Noble Lord
  • Neill Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #212: October 15, 2012, 03:02:29 AM »
As Bill O'Reily says:

I don't know what that is, I haven't seen that.

;D

Arundel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #213: October 15, 2012, 09:54:59 AM »
What now?

The whole P.O.Z wanting to attack GA - prior to this war - with help from Kindara thing. That being a big decision maker for GA. That was a thing, right?
The adherents of different religions in a realm should compete for power, influence, and fresh converts. They don't even have to be killing each other to do so. I wish people promoted the prosperity of their religions the same way they promoted the growth and prosperity of their realms. - Geronus

Ender

• Noble Lord
  • Neill Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #214: October 15, 2012, 02:46:05 PM »
The whole P.O.Z wanting to attack GA - prior to this war - with help from Kindara thing. That being a big decision maker for GA. That was a thing, right?

It was, though more so in P.O.Z then in Kindara. Just before the current war it was more a thing that could possibly happen then anything that was seriously being planned. Popular opinion was not as against GA then as it is now that Arella seems to have stopped listening to anything resembling reality. Either that or Galiard is just that convincing, and I have to admit, he is charismatic.

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #215: October 15, 2012, 02:52:20 PM »
Something I've always wanted to know.

Whom is the Lord Regent the Regent on behalf of in POZ? Is there a Prince somewhere that everybody is waiting for? A drooling old man in a closet who is the actual ruler, but the regent runs things?

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #216: October 15, 2012, 02:54:49 PM »
They used to be the Regent for Duchess (Princess?) Hoshi, but now that she's gone I don't know.

Ender

• Noble Lord
  • Neill Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #217: October 15, 2012, 02:57:11 PM »
According to their wiki: "It was founded by the late Prince Zhao Ziyang during the desegregation of the Svunnetland Empire"

So I guess the Regent technically is the stand in for Prince of the long, lost Svunnetland Empire?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #218: October 15, 2012, 02:57:41 PM »
Something I've always wanted to know.

Whom is the Lord Regent the Regent on behalf of in POZ? Is there a Prince somewhere that everybody is waiting for? A drooling old man in a closet who is the actual ruler, but the regent runs things?

Zhao Ziyang was the Prince of Zonasa. He was killed in battle some time in...2005? 2006? Quite a while ago, anyway.

His daughter is Zhao Hoshi, formerly Zhao Hoshi Eiryn, Queen of Svunnetland. She is the rightful heir of the Principality. However, when Ziyang died, Hoshi was still Queen of Svunnetland, and did not wish to see Zonasa destroyed by coming under her rule. Thus, the regency was created. When Svunnetland was destroyed, Hoshi could not bring herself to take over for those who had been ruling Zonasa (partly because her player was, and is, somewhat inactive).

However, Hoshi is getting married now. By the ancient laws and customs of the land, that means that her husband will be a male heir to Ziyang...
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Ender

• Noble Lord
  • Neill Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #219: October 15, 2012, 03:11:42 PM »
It's impressive that Zonasa has recognized that tradition for so long. I'd have thought many realms would have switched things up after a few years.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #220: October 15, 2012, 03:17:59 PM »
It's impressive that Zonasa has recognized that tradition for so long. I'd have thought many realms would have switched things up after a few years.

Well, I dunno how much they would have stuck to it if a few of us who remembered Ziyang hadn't joined recently ;)

...Actually, that's not fair. Morgan has been pretty staunch in his support of the principle that he is a regent for the House of Zhao, at least verbally.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #221: October 15, 2012, 03:39:49 PM »
It was, though more so in P.O.Z then in Kindara. Just before the current war it was more a thing that could possibly happen then anything that was seriously being planned. Popular opinion was not as against GA then as it is now that Arella seems to have stopped listening to anything resembling reality. Either that or Galiard is just that convincing, and I have to admit, he is charismatic.

I believe I may or may not have something to do with that. <.<

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #222: October 15, 2012, 05:11:56 PM »
Zhao Ziyang was the Prince of Zonasa. He was killed in battle some time in...2005? 2006? Quite a while ago, anyway.

His daughter is Zhao Hoshi, formerly Zhao Hoshi Eiryn, Queen of Svunnetland. She is the rightful heir of the Principality. However, when Ziyang died, Hoshi was still Queen of Svunnetland, and did not wish to see Zonasa destroyed by coming under her rule. Thus, the regency was created. When Svunnetland was destroyed, Hoshi could not bring herself to take over for those who had been ruling Zonasa (partly because her player was, and is, somewhat inactive).

However, Hoshi is getting married now. By the ancient laws and customs of the land, that means that her husband will be a male heir to Ziyang...
Actually, it was more that Einar, ruler of Svunnetland, claimed that as Hoshi's husband, he should become prince.  Zonasa said 'no way,' since we didn't like him very much, and it was a war with him that killed Zhao and brought us down to one or two regions.  After a couple of different proposals, including if I recall one by Morgan that either Hoshi join Zonasa and rule it as a separate realm from Svunnetland, or else select a regent to do so . . . Hoshi actually gave up all claim to any inheritance going through her, and told Zonasa to select their own prince, after which Morgan became Zonasa's second prince.

Those were some fun times, unfortunately Morgan did not do well as prince and then I got severely ill and had to stop playing for a while, and it was about two years before I came back.

Well, I dunno how much they would have stuck to it if a few of us who remembered Ziyang hadn't joined recently ;)

...Actually, that's not fair. Morgan has been pretty staunch in his support of the principle that he is a regent for the House of Zhao, at least verbally.
Morgan also definitely counts as one of those who remembers Ziyang, though, given that he was basically his protege.  Morgan owes his political career to him (and to his servant, who was ennobled after Zhao's death -- the player's next character, who was Regent when I returned, and again gave me a leg up), and so if generally going to be nothing but respectful to the family.

The whole regent tradition started after I left, though (mostly -- I called myself regent for the first couple weeks I ruled after Zhao's death, but then I became prince), but Morgan is mostly happy to forget he was a prince at one point, because he didn't do terribly well . . . and he wants to eventually bring some reforms to have Zonasa just elect princes for life, and then he would be happy to return to being Duke . . . provided he can find someone he thinks would be good to push into the position of prince.  He likes to rule from behind the curtain more, really.

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #223: October 15, 2012, 05:36:26 PM »
Sort of, but probably not as much of a thing as you think.

I think there were actual plans a while back when Aenilia had a different ruler and they simply would not talk to us, and we were trying to figure out how to get their attention, but lately it's mostly been grumbling at one thing or another they've done, and talk of how 'well, if they give us a real reason, we'll just have to go in there,' but no actual real invasion plans.

Aenilia's belief that we're going to attack them seems to mostly be a self-fulfilling prophecy as far as I can tell, they think we're going to invade, so they do annoying things, which makes us more upset, so they think we're going to attack more, so they do more things to piss us off. . . .

Ender

• Noble Lord
  • Neill Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #224: October 15, 2012, 06:19:06 PM »
Yeah, that's a much better way to put it. They never gave us a real reasons, but they've certainly given us plenty of small ones lately.