Author Topic: Remove Scout Report Popup  (Read 6832 times)

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
Re: Remove Scout Report Popup
« Reply #15: May 30, 2012, 02:37:55 PM »
I doubt it would. We have more than 10 years of experience with realm chatter, and there has always been duplication and beyond. People will read the "I want..." message and reply with a copy without checking if someone else has already done so.

What we would need is a scout reports blackboard, where people can both post and request scout reports.

People do check right now, just that they check the message log rather than "shared scribe reports".  I don't see duplicate reports when someone already sent the links to the realm.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

egamma

« Reply #16: May 31, 2012, 07:03:05 PM »
I doubt it would. We have more than 10 years of experience with realm chatter, and there has always been duplication and beyond. People will read the "I want..." message and reply with a copy without checking if someone else has already done so.

What we would need is a scout reports blackboard, where people can both post and request scout reports.

Yes, something similar to the marketplace, but instead of "buy" offers, you have "scout x region" requests.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: May 31, 2012, 07:21:41 PM »
I can't say that I care for the idea of a "scribe note marketplace". It would require people to learn a new interface. And then remember to check it every turn to see if someone had requested a scout report. More busywork. Which means that it will be a lot of programming effort for something that I don't really foresee being used. Just like shared scout reports aren't really used. Because it's not convenient, and doesn't work with the way people play.

I still think that the best way to deal with this "problem" is simply to have the "share" link automatically send the report to the character's army via an actual, honest-to-goodness, real message, as well as posting them on the scout reports page. It's the best of both worlds. The reports are shared so that they are available to the army even if you don't actually open it. The people in the army know that a region was scouted. And this is very important: You have a time stamp on the scribe note so you know *when* in the turn it was done. It's not like we have a problem with too many messages in-game anymore. Outside of the SA full-members channel, I can't remember the last time I heard someone complain about receiving too many messages.

Actually, while I'm thinking about it, why are the scribe notes split into three tables? That's really inconvenient. I don't care where a scribe note comes from. All I care is whether or not I have it. Can these three tables be merged into one single table?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: May 31, 2012, 08:01:14 PM »
i use share reports.. and then send to realm.

which is a bit redundant... shared reports needs working on anyway... quite simply because no one knows a new report has been made! as indirik says. simplest thing would be... a report message. no one goes around looking up scribe notes page for new things. they use that page for the sole purpose of archived reports.

but the thing with the pop up is.. it doesn't really affect desktop/laptop people... yes.. there's a small pop up which is a bit annoying for a few seconds.. but harmless.

phone? i don't use phone... how many people play with phone?

3 tables.. well.. battle reports and scout reports should remain separate. there's not much need to split the 2 scout sections though...

firefox

Darksun

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Bucksplace
« Reply #19: May 31, 2012, 08:17:52 PM »
but the thing with the pop up is.. it doesn't really affect desktop/laptop people... yes.. there's a small pop up which is a bit annoying for a few seconds.. but harmless.

Lots, and it is growing. If you want the game to grow then it needs to be accessible to this emerging demographic. The original request is not a major change, and would bring this functionality into line with the rest of the application. The additional add-ons being requested - reworking the scout report tables, automated messages, etc can all be added independently of removing this window. I hope their discussion does not amount to this request being rejected as, in my mind, it is an entirely different request.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: May 31, 2012, 08:24:28 PM »
I do. I know several others who do. There are even people that use the mobile site on their desktops, preferring the layout. And the numers will continue to grow as more and more mobile devices become prevalent. It's no just phones. iPods, tablets, book readers, etc. All these have web browsers that can access the game. And the touch screens are just not conducive for a lot of the game.

3 tables.. well.. battle reports and scout reports should remain separate. there's not much need to split the 2 scout sections though...
Isn't it split into four sections: Foreign scribe notes, your scribe notes, army scribe notes, and battle reports? Scribe notes you share are in both your scribe notes and foreign scribe notes. And when you open an army scribe note, it is duplicated into the foreign scribe notes table as well. So you end up with many duplicates that are not labeled or identified in any way as duplicates. This whole system needs a revamp.

The additional add-ons being requested - reworking the scout report tables, automated messages, etc can all be added independently of removing this window. I hope their discussion does not amount to this request being rejected as, in my mind, it is an entirely different request.
You are correct. Sorry, my fault.

I concur that the original request, removing the popup, makes sense and should be done.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: May 31, 2012, 08:38:48 PM »
well... however many scribe notes sections there are... they should simply split into type.

eg..
battle
scout
misc (ie.. anything else)

it sort of doesn't matter who scouted what... and the only reason why currently the own scout report section is useful... is simply because you can go there and copy/paste it and spam it realmwide...  that said, people might still want to do that unless there's a share with realm option (as opposed to share with army only) because people basically will just share it with realm again anyway.

... for me, a non-coder, the only reason for the popup that i can think of... is basically you don't move away from the scout report page when you click the link. is that correct? would a fix mess that up?
firefox