Author Topic: Priest/Trader?  (Read 10248 times)

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Priest/Trader?
« Topic Start: June 14, 2012, 03:47:38 PM »
With the new trade system being introduced will the option to be a Priest/Trader be available?
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Priest/Trader?
« Reply #1: June 18, 2012, 02:42:55 AM »
With the new trade system being introduced will the option to be a Priest/Trader be available?

Pretty please?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: June 18, 2012, 07:21:20 PM »

I was actually thinking about this as well, wondering if it would be implemented.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: June 18, 2012, 09:09:31 PM »
Priest movement would still give priests a marked advantage over non-priests. I'm not sure, myself, if this is enough of an issue to prevent it from being allowed.

Would there be any *disadvantage* to being a P/T? A warrior switxhing to Trader incurs some serious disadvantages. If there are none for P/T, then will we see a rush of priests headed to Trader class? While that wouldn't necessarily hurt anything, it would turn the priest class into something not intended.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: June 18, 2012, 09:20:15 PM »
I can't comment on the coding, but would it be possible for the P/T to be able to broker deals, but have reduced trading range compared to a normal trader? I suspect that would balance things out somewhat.

I can't think of anyway that being a trader would disadvantage a priest.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: June 18, 2012, 10:10:28 PM »
It would not be hard to code a different range for P/T as opposed to W/T.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: June 18, 2012, 11:47:03 PM »
Priest movement would still give priests a marked advantage over non-priests. I'm not sure, myself, if this is enough of an issue to prevent it from being allowed.

Would there be any *disadvantage* to being a P/T? A warrior switxhing to Trader incurs some serious disadvantages. If there are none for P/T, then will we see a rush of priests headed to Trader class? While that wouldn't necessarily hurt anything, it would turn the priest class into something not intended.

priest/hero gets all of the hero's benefits (like being able to escape prisons) and none of the drawbacks (mortality). Priest/ambassadors get more hours to modify loyalty and sympathy.

Priest/trader seems like a much more balanced combo than these two.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: June 19, 2012, 12:04:13 AM »
priest/hero gets all of the hero's benefits (like being able to escape prisons) and none of the drawbacks (mortality). Priest/ambassadors get more hours to modify loyalty and sympathy.

Priest/trader seems like a much more balanced combo than these two.
I disagree with the reasoning of it being ok for priests to have an advantage over regular traders is that they get advantages with other subclasses without drawbacks. With the trader subclass you would be the ultimate trader since you get all advantages and 0 disadvantages from being one. Hero subclass from my knowledge their only benefit would be the prison escape like you said so its not some huge unbalance. And on the ambassador note it makes sense in a roleplay sense though since you bring it up I think it should be changed because that allows for a massive advantage.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: June 19, 2012, 12:08:24 AM »
I disagree with the reasoning of it being ok for priests to have an advantage over regular traders is that they get advantages with other subclasses without drawbacks. With the trader subclass you would be the ultimate trader since you get all advantages and 0 disadvantages from being one. Hero subclass from my knowledge their only benefit would be the prison escape like you said so its not some huge unbalance. And on the ambassador note it makes sense in a roleplay sense though since you bring it up I think it should be changed because that allows for a massive advantage.

Being able to actively escape dungeons is a great advantage to a class that is relatively easy to put there to begin with. Priests are much more likely than heroes to be captured.

Lordly priests can already take advantage of the beneficial travel times to go trade with others. So can priest stewards.

Psyche

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: June 19, 2012, 01:32:31 AM »
If you have to balance the class combo, hit them where it hurts- in the pockets.

Any profit from trade brokering goes into religions global treasury.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: June 19, 2012, 03:15:40 AM »
If you have to balance the class combo, hit them where it hurts- in the pockets.

Any profit from trade brokering goes into religions global treasury.

lol, I really wouldn't mind this, as a priest. Doesn't seem like at drawback at all. xD

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #11: June 19, 2012, 04:11:09 AM »
^
None of my characters are priests to get rich.  They want to spread the Faith, save souls and lives, etc.  The global treasury thing would actually be something I would -want-. lol

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: June 19, 2012, 04:25:02 AM »
Well, the priest game being so different I'm not sure it really matters - I mean what sort of advantage can you really derive by being a P/T versus a W/T or a C/T? Does more hours or instant travel really benefit a P/T when food now moves instantly and doesn't have to be carried from place to place?

As far as it being a better combo than W/T or C/T since the drawbacks don't kick in, who cares? I mean, I sincerely doubt you'll see people becoming priests just to avoid the drawbacks of one of the other two combos. "Ha-HA! I'll avoid the troop restrictions of becoming a trader by switching to a main class that can't lead any troops at all! Take that, Game Balance!" See what I mean?

Besides, you've got to have some commitment to being a priest - you give up pretty much half the game when you do. No troops, no battles or wars, no looting, no civil or police work. Virtually no H/P gain for the class means you may actually not even have enough H/P to gain some positions (I have seen this happen to a couple priests). You get a lot in return, but I don't think that a P/T combo creates a ridiculous combo the way that, say, P/I would.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: June 19, 2012, 04:26:40 AM »
Well, the priest game being so different I'm not sure it really matters - I mean what sort of advantage can you really derive by being a P/T versus a W/T or a C/T? Does more hours or instant travel really benefit a P/T when food now moves instantly and doesn't have to be carried from place to place?

As far as it being a better combo than W/T or C/T since the drawbacks don't kick in, who cares? I mean, I sincerely doubt you'll see people becoming priests just to avoid the drawbacks of one of the other two combos. "Ha-HA! I'll avoid the troop restrictions of becoming a trader by switching to a main class that can't lead any troops at all! Take that, Game Balance!" See what I mean?

Besides, you've got to have some commitment to being a priest - you give up pretty much half the game when you do. No troops, no battles or wars, no looting, no civil or police work. Virtually no H/P gain for the class means you may actually not even have enough H/P to gain some positions (I have seen this happen to a couple priests). You get a lot in return, but I don't think that a P/T combo creates a ridiculous combo the way that, say, P/I would.

Plus you can be arrested easily by realms with which you are at war.

Priests have a lot of restrictions that warriors don't have. This is true.

feyeleanor

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: June 19, 2012, 07:27:20 PM »
What's more medieval than a wealthy priest/abbess profiting from the trade which flows through their market? Or is that just an English thing?