Author Topic: A Matter Of Honour // This-Is-How-You-Declare-War.  (Read 73830 times)

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
That's not the impression you give people when you send those kinds of messages. If you wanted to say "I won't let it enter my realm", then you can just say that. When you say you want to "abolish it's very existence indiscriminately", that doesn't sound anything like "We don't want it in our realm".
No, that would be completely different. Because none of those are what was said, nor even remotely close to what was said. If you had said "abolish [republicanism's] very existence indiscriminately", then it would be similar.

If you really are intending to just say "We don't want it in our realm, we don't care what you do in your realm", then you're not getting your point across very well. Pretty much everyone outside your realm (and, judging by the Madina situation, quite a few people inside your realm) takes your meaning as wanting to destroy all religion period. Perhaps you should try to say what you mean in a different fashion. Or at least recognize where the misunderstanding comes in, and accept that it's a natural consequence of the way you're saying things.
If no one took interest in what other people were doing, then the game would be pretty boring. We'd all be better off playing single player games. The whole point of an MMORPG is interacting with other people. Being interested in what they are doing, and them being interested in what we are doing.

You also completely avoided this question: "You say "we simply don't allow unauthorised religious buildings in Aurvandil". Therefore, you already define authorised and unauthorised religious buildings. I would like to know Aurvandil's definitions of authorised and unauthorised."

Well, I am quite sure you've taken the quote "Abolish it's existence indiscriminately" out of the context it was in, which was on how Aurvandil handles religion in its own realm, which was the discussion I was having with the D'Haran PM at the time. Perhaps I should have added the addendum "Abolish it's existence indiscriminately within Aurvandil" but whatever.

Aurvandil's definition of authorised, and unauthorised is simple - that which the High Sovereign has given permission to construct.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Well, I am quite sure you've taken the quote "Abolish it's existence indiscriminately" out of the context it was in, which was on how Aurvandil handles religion in its own realm, which was the discussion I was having with the D'Haran PM at the time. Perhaps I should have added the addendum "Abolish it's existence indiscriminately within Aurvandil" but whatever.
That would, indeed, give that message a completely different meaning.

Aurvandil's definition of authorised, and unauthorised is simple - that which the High Sovereign has given permission to construct.
Has he ever given anyone permission to construct a religious building? If so, what kind was it? A temple, or just an RP'd building that has no game-mechanics significance?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Has he ever given anyone permission to construct a religious building? If so, what kind was it? A temple, or just an RP'd building that has no game-mechanics significance?
Or a shrine?
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Well, there is the Colossus of Mendicant in the Palais, if idolatry is your game, or the multistory fountain complex gardens in the Palais, if sacred groves are your deal, or then there is the Throne Room if magnificent temples and prostration gets your religious juices flowing, then we have things like the Joyeuse (coronation sword) if holy relics is what you're looking for, then there is the Imperial War Pyramid, which can only be considered a mobile shrine to the majesty of the High Sovereign.

But for actual temples/shrines built using in game mechanics, yeah we haven't so much... done that. At best we've tolerated the temple in Panabuk without persecuting it.

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile
Well, there is the Colossus of Mendicant in the Palais, if idolatry is your game, or the multistory fountain complex gardens in the Palais, if sacred groves are your deal, or then there is the Throne Room if magnificent temples and prostration gets your religious juices flowing, then we have things like the Joyeuse (coronation sword) if holy relics is what you're looking for, then there is the Imperial War Pyramid, which can only be considered a mobile shrine to the majesty of the High Sovereign.

But for actual temples/shrines built using in game mechanics, yeah we haven't so much... done that. At best we've tolerated the temple in Panabuk without persecuting it.

Still not sure why you guys aren't making this into an IG religion... Seems like it would be pretty boss.
When Thalmarkans walked through the Sint land, castles went up for sale.

Zakilevo

Probably don't want to distract people with it. Also you will lose nobles as some will choose to become priests.

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
I was tempted, but we've never had the time, or the gold, from constant military expeditions to take/keep/protect the Madina duchy, which as soon as that ended we started fighting Barca. And we're constantly spending every gold piece we get on infrastructure or our armies, maintaining/recruiting an army of the size we keep takes a lot of coin, and Mendicant cares a lot more about having an army to defend Aurvandilan interests against the power blocs that surround him than having a load of priests dote on his majesty.

But another reason as Zakilevo said is that we'd lose Chevaliers to priesthood, and Mendicant doesn't like people who shirk their military dues to the realm.

Though I've entertained the notion of a string of roleplays where Mendicant later declares himself to be a God later in his political career. Or even a Futurama style Amalgamated Church, where we believe everything so long as you believe in Mendicant.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 08:16:42 PM by NoblesseChevaleresque »

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
So... what religious buildings *are* allowed in Aurvandil?

So only stuff about Mendicant/Monarchism/Religion-but-we-aren't-going-to-make-it-because-then-there-will-be-less-warriors is allowed in other words.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Zakilevo

I was tempted, but we've never had the time, or the gold, from constant military expeditions to take/keep/protect the Madina duchy, which as soon as that ended we started fighting Barca. And we're constantly spending every gold piece we get on infrastructure or our armies, maintaining/recruiting an army of the size we keep takes a lot of coin, and Mendicant cares a lot more about having an army to defend Aurvandilan interests against the power blocs that surround him than having a load of priests dote on his majesty.

But another reason as Zakilevo said is that we'd lose Chevaliers to priesthood, and Mendicant doesn't like people who shirk their military dues to the realm.

Though I've entertained the notion of a string of roleplays where Mendicant later declares himself to be a God later in his political career.

A mad king coming soon? :)

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
So only stuff about Mendicant/Monarchism/Religion-but-we-aren't-going-to-make-it-because-then-there-will-be-less-warriors is allowed in other words.

No, that isn't why.

There are multiple reasons behind it, not just because there will be less warriors. For a start we already have some decent enough cult of personality/hero worship/imperial cult/cult of reason stuff going on and we don't have the RP basis to start a religion just yet, not to mention the fact Aurvandil doesn't have the time or resources to create a new religion, and if we made a religion now, it'd seem too much like we were just trying to keep people quiet on the forums, or to try and avert a religious war (which I bet would happen anyway if we made a cult around Mendicant). I haven't ruled out the possibility of a religion in the future, but we have to build up suitably towards it first.

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile

Mad?

Think Tiberius/Nero mad. But this would all be in the works for later.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
Mad?

That is still quite mad  :)

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile

No wonder Glaumring likes him.

Ozymandias.  ;)
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
Great minds think alike... 8)
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Lanyon

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
I think if Medicant ever dies/leaves his successor would HAVE to make him into a religous figure. Anyways, I would 100% support a medicant central religion as drage has became quite infatuated with the whole Aurvandil/monarchism thing.  Being in/ around Aurvandil is so interesting right now i just don't see how the northerners can keep away!