Author Topic: What makes an SMA Religion?  (Read 14722 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: What makes an SMA Religion?
« Reply #30: July 03, 2012, 07:27:53 PM »
Well, besides what was said was going to be changed, what else do you think should no longer be?
If the religion encompasses some higher power or supernatural being/force that they worship, and use the Bloodmoon fruit as a conduit to that power, IMO that would fit the bill for SMA. If the religion is like that Nomudou thing that used to be in the south somewhere, where the "religion" is really just a thin mask over big joke about drinking yourself into oblivion (or in CoB's case it just glorifies taking psychedelic drugs and uses the "religion" aspect as a thin cover to try and claim IC legitimacy (Edit: This is for comparison's sake, I am not claiming that's what CoB really is...)), then no, it's not SMA.

In case you name worshiping fruits, do you consider Astroism to be SMA?
Well that's a pretty silly question, isn't it?

Know that the worship of plans implies, as all Shamanic traditions, there are spirits that manifest themselves through the plants (specifically through their consumption). In case of the Ayahuasca, for example, there is a large myth on the two plants used in making it, one being the Father and the other the Mother. It's not just saying "this cucumber is my god, and that is all".
Looks to me like they're not worshiping the plant itself, are they? The plant may be sacred, and they use it to prepare their drug, which they use in religious rights. But they don't *worship* the plants. (Unless I read the Wikipedia page wrong...)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 08:21:57 PM by Indirik »
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.