Author Topic: What makes an SMA Religion?  (Read 14826 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: What makes an SMA Religion?
« Reply #15: July 03, 2012, 02:19:29 AM »
I didn't really have anything specific in mind in regards to an "anti-religion". I suppose perhaps a religion that specifically targets another, and is bent on destrying them.

Bad example, I guess.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: July 03, 2012, 04:00:26 AM »
I went back looking through the old threads, but I couldn't find the one talking about tMP. I know we talked about this back then. Or maybe it was one of the threads about giving religion some punch...
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: July 03, 2012, 04:07:29 AM »
You should interpret "anti-religion" more as "replacement religion." One dedicated to destroying the other, yet ready to assume the power and functionality the former had. It may have a similar god/pantheon, beliefs, traditions, etc... This is perfectly SMA and obviously not metagaming.

Again, if somebody founds an IG religion and their reason is to opposed some other religion, and that is clearly their intent, I'd say it's abuse.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: July 03, 2012, 04:30:47 AM »
I went back looking through the old threads, but I couldn't find the one talking about tMP. I know we talked about this back then. Or maybe it was one of the threads about giving religion some punch...

May have been in the General Discussion forum. I remember which one you are talking about.

Arundel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: July 03, 2012, 04:42:04 AM »
I think he's more talking about the Aurvandil anti-religion thing they have going on there. It isn't formed as a religion, I don't think, but they are basically against any kind of religion.

This is evidently against the rules... Against SMA... And they should all be banned for it... Why hasn't that happened?

Again, if somebody founds an IG religion and their reason is to opposed some other religion, and that is clearly their intent, I'd say it's abuse.

Again, if somebody founds an IG religion - a reformation of their old church - and is opposed to the old church, and that is clearly their intent to replace and destroy it, I'd say that's perfectly fine, realistic, and SMA. Circumstance should be taken into account for this kind of thing.
The adherents of different religions in a realm should compete for power, influence, and fresh converts. They don't even have to be killing each other to do so. I wish people promoted the prosperity of their religions the same way they promoted the growth and prosperity of their realms. - Geronus

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: July 03, 2012, 04:56:17 AM »
Again, if somebody founds an IG religion - a reformation of their old church - and is opposed to the old church, and that is clearly their intent to replace and destroy it, I'd say that's perfectly fine, realistic, and SMA. Circumstance should be taken into account for this kind of thing.

No.

If you found a schismatic sects with different beliefs, that's fine. You can convert peasants to a different theology; that's a religion.

If you found a schismatic sect solely aimed at destroying the other IG religion, that's not fine. You don't convert people to the religion of anti-Astroism, or whatever.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: July 03, 2012, 05:11:05 AM »
No.

If you found a schismatic sects with different beliefs, that's fine. You can convert peasants to a different theology; that's a religion.

If you found a schismatic sect solely aimed at destroying the other IG religion, that's not fine. You don't convert people to the religion of anti-Astroism, or whatever.

I think you misconstrued it; similarly to the antipapacies in medieval europe, you can form another religion with identical (not nonexistant) theologies, based on a political schism with the main faith.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Daycryn

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: July 03, 2012, 05:29:37 AM »
I too don't think an "anti religion" would work; it should be a religion in its own right, providing the basic things a religion might provide in BM: temples, shrines, priests, and a framework or context in which these three things make sense, descriptions of appearances and functions thereof.

Worshiping a human *as* a god could well be done.

I would focus on the "serious" aspect of it. Ask oneself: could this be a real religion? Could people really do this, if the world was like it is in BM?

Given that we have things like: undead, monsters and daimons, these too should be accounted for somehow. There should be an explanation for their existence, or at least where they stand cosmologically. The Adgharhin Way in FEI did this fairly well, if I do say so myself.

With regards to gods or goddesses, I don't think its necessary that they exist in name. They could be unspecified nameless gods, or spirits of ancestors, or Bloodstars. But in any case there should be someone or something that one could offer prayers, worship or devotions to, something that could roughly (though maybe not specifically) called divine. Even if such prayers, worship or devotion is borrowed from other religions or from pagan/folklore/superstition.

These are just my thoughts.
Lokenth, Warrior of Arcaea, former Adventurer
Adamir, Lord of Luria Nova

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: July 03, 2012, 06:15:53 AM »
To me it's quite simple:
1) Have at least one object of worship.
2) Have at least one meaningful superstition.
3) Be serious.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #24: July 03, 2012, 06:27:42 AM »
No rules have ever been made on this, simply because the question has never come up. Given that there have probably been real cults that broke either or all of these, I would say two things:

One, it appears that so far it's never been a problem, so why worry?

Two, not being obviously silly is the only real requirement I can think of.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: July 03, 2012, 06:34:22 AM »
No rules have ever been made on this, simply because the question has never come up. Given that there have probably been real cults that broke either or all of these, I would say two things:

I think the discussion is more "what makes a good religion" than "What makes a religion tolerable". I think it's a discussion worth having.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

DamnTaffer

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: July 03, 2012, 08:43:04 AM »

How about Philosophy, or idol based faiths not focusing on gods? Or religions using a karma style system?

Kellaine

• Noble Lord
  • Honor in Service
    • View Profile
    • Thatcher  Family
« Reply #27: July 03, 2012, 12:20:47 PM »
Well, even if I can't remember what #3 was, I would still like to know what other people think makes an SMA religion. What should it have? What should it not have?

Can you have a "godless" religion?

I do not see why not if you can make it logical and show that something similar existed, what about druidism? did they have a "GOD"?

Can you have an "anti-religion" dedicated to wiping out another specific religion?

Sure, say a religion splits in two and a sort of civil war ensues where some break away and wish the destruction of the "false" faith. or even where someone or more are kicked from the religion and start their own to get even by destroying the other.

Can you have a religion that worships a person, and not a god?

Wouldn't that be called a cult. lol  but seriously, yes, I can.  Dwilight has big egos all over the place. lol
Dexter - Principality of Zonasa, Telgar - Principality of Zonasa, Wil - Morek Empire, Crom- Adventurer - Kabrinskia-paused

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #28: July 03, 2012, 12:27:35 PM »
How about Philosophy, or idol based faiths not focusing on gods? Or religions using a karma style system?

I am not discussing hypotheticals on the forum. There is no profit in doing that, and past experience has shown that my comments are taken out of context and used in ways I never intended.

If someone wants to know my opinion on a specific actually existing (in-game) religion, I'll give it, but I won't discuss theoretical scenarios above pointing out basic no-gos.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: July 03, 2012, 02:19:18 PM »

Er, didn't you or someone nix Chenier's idea of creating an Aztec-style religion on Dwilight due to SMA concerns? That may be why there are so many questions...