Author Topic: Abuse of Vulgarity  (Read 27825 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Re: Abuse of Vulgarity
« Reply #45: July 20, 2012, 05:23:31 AM »
Come on Vellos... you know better than this. That statement is blanket justification to report every message you receive for vulgarity, because, hey, you never know if nobles will generally look down on it until you report it...

Fair enough. I'm assuming we're all agreed that spamming, or reporting when you don't have at least a reasonable intuition, is bad. Yes, I think you should only report things (as I said to Dante, I believe) that you have a reasonable suspicion are vulgar: but I don't see why we all need the same definition.

I'm talking mostly about cases that might fall under one broadly reasonable definition of vulgarity, but not another: not about merciless spamming or use of the tool for harassment. Those would seem, as I said earlier, to be reasonably excluded by any interpretation of the vulgarity tool. In which case I think reporting it is fine: it will only result in an H/P loss if other players agree. As has been said several times, having a penalty for false reporting would be a beneficial element to this system. I had originally thought there was one, apparently there isn't; there should be. And it could be done ICly easily enough: "The local nobility are aghast at the rumors you've spread about So-and-So... etc"
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner