Author Topic: Derailed thread  (Read 31975 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Re: Derailed thread
« Reply #30: August 26, 2012, 11:10:04 PM »
Mm, I can definitely see where you're coming from, but I think I see what you're saying (at least, how I understand it) and what the comic says as somewhat different things.

The comic's message, as I read it, is more or less, "Don't aggressively promote your religion to others, and don't try to actually harm people because of religion."

What you're saying, as I read it, is, "Feel free to tell me you think I'm a terrible heathen who's going to hell because your religion says so."

Am I mistaken?

No, you're right.

If someone believes that my beliefs or actions are harmful, or if they believe them to be erroneous, or if they want to reveal themselves as a bigot or an otherwise offensive person, they're free to express themselves. Not on my lawn maybe but, still, I'd rather they share than not.

And at the same time, I'm a big believer that Beliefs Have Consequences. Decide to view me as heathen scum if you like, and if you do think that I'm condemned to the Nine Hells do tell because I'd like to hear your position because, hey, maybe I am, it's good to know which Hells you're condemning yourself to, but don't be surprised when I sucker-punch you when you come on my lawn. Or when I stop inviting you to my Really Fun Dinner Parties.

Though, that said, I tend to like offensive people anyways, so I probably would still invite them to my Really Fun Dinner Parties. But you get the point.

Basically, I think that we as a society have a duty to act as if speech is harmless (with the obvious exception of yelling "fire" in a crowded building, and equivalents), even though we obviously know it isn't. And, furthermore, I think it's better for us to force bigots into the public. I'd rather have Westboro protesting than not, if they're going to have those beliefs, because at least protesting they establish a social understanding of How Bad It Can Get. They force us to have those conversations about whether those beliefs are acceptable or not. I'd rather know my neighbor is evil, even if it offends me, and thus make sure not to send my child to a sleepover with his child, than be ignorant of the depth of his depravity.

Does that make sense? I think we're better off with peoples' beliefs being public, and with a maximum socially possible arena for free speech.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner