Author Topic: Derailed thread  (Read 32305 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Re: Derailed thread
« Reply #60: August 28, 2012, 03:18:54 PM »
Hm. My position is more along the lines of:

Hatred is unhealthy. Always. That doesn't mean it's always the most unhealthy option, and sometimes it can be...almost necessary, at least for the psyche.

However, hating one person for something another person has done is never right. If bad things have been done to you, or your loved ones, hate the ones who actually did the bad things. Not the people who just happen, through birth, culture, or social affiliation, to be associated with them.

It's sometimes understandable to hate beyond those who actually caused the hate—sometimes what's been done is so terrible, there's too much hate for it to fit in one target, and it spills over. That doesn't make it right.

I would agree. I just don't want my words to bite me in the ass when something terrible is done to me or mine.

Though I do actually recognize some limited form of collective guilt. I think it's fair to hold me responsible for the actions of my church, or my political party, or my nation: I would hope that the hater gives me a chance to explain, and it may be that though I am responsible I have worked to discharge that responsibility, but I don't see anything necessarily wrong or foolish in, say, an Iraqi being pissed at me because I'm an American.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner