Main Menu

News:

Please be aware of the Forum Rules of Conduct.

Message language

Started by megs, September 16, 2012, 04:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

megs

Can we use other than English languages in OCC messages?
(of course to people who also speak that language)

Lefanis

I don't believe it'll be a problem, so long as you are doing it in personal messages, and not to exclude people who don't happen to speak the language.
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Draco Tanos

I have an issue with it as a former judge.  I should not have to go to google translate and pray it converts it to English well enough to find out what my torture subject is saying.

OOC messages?  Sure.  IC messages?  Shouldn't be allowed.

Tom

The official language in BM is english, and you should stick to it. I don't think anyone minds if you insert a sentence or two in your native language to a friend, but that should be about it. Even private messages can be accessed in torture report, or can be reported to the Magistrates or for some other reason have other people read it.

Vellos

Quote from: Tom on September 16, 2012, 07:22:50 PM
The official language in BM is english, and you should stick to it. I don't think anyone minds if you insert a sentence or two in your native language to a friend, but that should be about it. Even private messages can be accessed in torture report, or can be reported to the Magistrates or for some other reason have other people read it.

+1

Please stick with English. There have been instances in the past of players using shared languages to try and gain game advantage,  IIRC.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

egamma

What if a couple of players used Pig Latin or some other language?

What if a couple of players (or a whole realm) used some sort of primitive cipher system, based on (for example) the first letter of each line of the rulers' bulletin?

I can see AES-256 or SHA-128 being way out of bounds, but if there was a code that players could do by hand, IC...

Perth

This sounds like such an Aurvandil thing to do. Have their own in game language that is superior to everyone else's.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

vonGenf

Quote from: egamma on September 17, 2012, 05:54:28 AM

What if a couple of players (or a whole realm) used some sort of primitive cipher system, based on (for example) the first letter of each line of the rulers' bulletin?

I can see AES-256 or SHA-128 being way out of bounds, but if there was a code that players could do by hand, IC...

If the language is invented in-game, through in-game means, among people who have an in-game reason to do such a thing, then I don't see why it would be a problem.

The problem with speaking languages such as French or Old AEnglisc or AES-256 encrypted english is that you know these languages because of something you, the player, knows - it has nothing to do with the character.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Tom

Quote from: egamma on September 17, 2012, 05:54:28 AM

No. That goes way beyond what a casual game should require of you. Also, we can assume that letters are already en-/decrypted by the scribes. Which is why there is no in-game option to capture messengers and intercept letters.
Plus all that is not something that the noble characters should bother with.

megs

Quote from: Tom on September 17, 2012, 11:24:57 AM
No. That goes way beyond what a casual game should require of you. Also, we can assume that letters are already en-/decrypted by the scribes. Which is why there is no in-game option to capture messengers and intercept letters.

I totally agree with Tom in this.
You should also consider that if you are tortured, you will confess to any cipher you are using as well.
And, as mentioned, Nobles would never decode letters themselves. Scribes would do it, so the information is out there for a spy to get.

Chenier

Quote from: megs on September 17, 2012, 01:59:22 PM
I totally agree with Tom in this.
You should also consider that if you are tortured, you will confess to any cipher you are using as well.
And, as mentioned, Nobles would never decode letters themselves. Scribes would do it, so the information is out there for a spy to get.

I agree with this, but I will point out that simply using OOG communication is much easier for those wishing to avoid torture leaks than using obscure cyphers or languages.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

DamnTaffer

Quote from: Tom on September 17, 2012, 11:24:57 AM

You'd let your scribe have the cipher for your secret comunications? I'd have though that was the one thing the nobles WOULD keep to themselves

Tom

Quote from: DamnTaffer on September 19, 2012, 08:26:13 AM
You'd let your scribe have the cipher for your secret comunications? I'd have though that was the one thing the nobles WOULD keep to themselves

Nobles who often could neither read nor write ?

Geronus

Well then they certainly wouldn't know a cypher  :)

Draco Tanos

But their scribes would and they'd be the ones writing the letters.