Author Topic: Diplomatic Conventions  (Read 7442 times)

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Diplomatic Conventions
« Topic Start: September 19, 2012, 04:10:42 AM »
Title: Conventions
Summary: Have something similar to a tournament where realm leaders may have a convention and discuss things.
Details: Create something similar to the tournament state for diplomats. Free training for Oratory like tournaments. Participants may buy drinks or whatever it is called that tournaments have. The host may be not an ambassador but must be a duke and a have city/townsland/stronghold in their duchy to host the event at. Their ambassador/s are automatically invited, and their ambassadors and the duke can invite a realm to the convention, which will invite just the realms ambassadors not the entire realm. Perhaps a fee to the duke to host the event. When the ambassadors accept their invite they will immediately start traveling as if they joined a tournament. The host will choose how long the event will last or perhaps it will just be manually disbanded by the duke. The invited can join or leave the event at anytime.

Edit: this will invite the government members of the invited, of the hosts realm, and invite the host though I feel they should kinda have to go since they are the host. Everywhere in the above where I mentioned ambassador it will also be include all who participate at the convention.
Benefits: Good for roleplay and extensive discussion of realm leaders.
Possible exploits: There likely are some but none I can think of at the moment. Will update as needed.

If the tournament code can't be used to make this than I doubt it's worth all the work.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 10:44:02 PM by Penchant »
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Diplomatic Conventions
« Reply #1: September 19, 2012, 02:04:36 PM »
Sounds fun, sounds as if it could recycle most of the tournament code too.

But really, for both this and tournaments, we need hosts and government members to be able to attend as observers...
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: September 19, 2012, 06:36:41 PM »
But really, for both this and tournaments, we need hosts and government members to be able to attend as observers...

+1
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: September 19, 2012, 10:36:33 PM »
Sounds fun, sounds as if it could recycle most of the tournament code too.

I thought it was implied about having hosts be able to attend, but since it it wasn't I will add them and your suggestion of the government. If we were to do this though perhaps it should just be called convention so it can be used as a military convention or food/trade one.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #4: September 19, 2012, 10:46:13 PM »
Orrr... we could just add observers to Tournaments. :P

Simpler = better, if that actually accomplishes the core of what you want (i.e. multirealm diplomatic talks).
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: September 19, 2012, 10:58:02 PM »
Orrr... we could just add observers to Tournaments. :P

Simpler = better, if that actually accomplishes the core of what you want (i.e. multirealm diplomatic talks).
Yes and no. If you add observers to tournaments and made it possible to not have the tournament part ( the competion) as they are quite expensive and I mean for this to be something you can just do send all to everyone there with most of what is being discussed, where if this was a tournament you will have to consistently make sure you are not sending to recipients who shouldn't be hearing the info. Basically, a tournament without any competion and not everyone is invited.
― G.K. Chesterton

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #6: September 20, 2012, 10:11:37 AM »
New code that is necessary to open up new tournament things has been worked on - well, not actively, more like on and off - for a while now. It just doesn't have a high priority. If you think it should, write up a full feature request with the things you want to see, bring it to the attention of our new project manager and have it included in the next round of feature voting.

Kalanar

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: September 21, 2012, 01:49:08 PM »
Maybe make it more general. "A Feast!" that way you can just have some of your favorite nobles, or enemies over to chat. Oratory could still be used and it's a little more period sounding as far as a concept.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #8: September 21, 2012, 03:09:36 PM »
One reason I don't like this is that we make diplomats travel around intentionally. This would cut out a good part of the diplomat game.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: September 21, 2012, 07:22:59 PM »
One reason I don't like this is that we make diplomats travel around intentionally. This would cut out a good part of the diplomat game.

As a counter suggestion...If we could actually get Diplomatic Immunity working, then this sort of thing could be replicated by just saying "Hey, everyone!  Meet up in this stronghold, drinks are on me, let's hammer out some treaties!"
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: September 21, 2012, 10:45:33 PM »
As a counter suggestion...If we could actually get Diplomatic Immunity working, then this sort of thing could be replicated by just saying "Hey, everyone!  Meet up in this stronghold, drinks are on me, let's hammer out some treaties!"
At the same time though diplomatic immunity isn't always wanted as sometimes it's more important to fight then have immunity. Also it makes warrior main class with diplomats pretty pointless.
― G.K. Chesterton

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: September 22, 2012, 01:18:18 AM »
At the same time though diplomatic immunity isn't always wanted as sometimes it's more important to fight then have immunity. Also it makes warrior main class with diplomats pretty pointless.

Unless we're talking about different features, diplomatic immunity only prevented you from being arrested/picked up by patrols/etc.  Your troops are troops, and are dealt with accordingly.  I would strongly suggest that anything providing immunity to troops is open to so many abuses that we couldn't close them all.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: September 22, 2012, 05:28:26 AM »
Unless we're talking about different features, diplomatic immunity only prevented you from being arrested/picked up by patrols/etc.  Your troops are troops, and are dealt with accordingly.  I would strongly suggest that anything providing immunity to troops is open to so many abuses that we couldn't close them all.
I thought you meant diplomats troops couldn't be attacked, which I don't like but I do like your suggestion.
― G.K. Chesterton

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #13: September 22, 2012, 09:08:01 AM »
I've given this some thought and I still dislike the idea.

However, I would be open for giving diplomats some kind of wide-range communications options. Maybe they can send messages to all other diplomats within the same geographic area?

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: September 22, 2012, 12:20:28 PM »
I've given this some thought and I still dislike the idea.

However, I would be open for giving diplomats some kind of wide-range communications options. Maybe they can send messages to all other diplomats within the same geographic area?

Simply making it possible to send send messages to multiple diplomats you've already met (i.e. who are in your contact list) would work, while still necessitating travelling to meet new diplomats.
After all it's a roleplaying game.