Author Topic: [Forum Game] Werewolf X: The Thing Returns  (Read 61015 times)

Fury

Re: [Forum Game] Werewolf X: The Thing Returns
« Reply #210: October 14, 2012, 07:34:13 PM »

NIGHT 10 EVENTS (FINAL)

VOTE SONYA - Velax #204, Ketchum #208

Rookie Agent Ketchum had zero training and zero experience, except for last night. It didn't matter. He was a full-fledged Secret Government Agent now and he was THIS close to a Nobel Prize to boot.

He had invited the Hunter Scientist Velax to join him as an Agent although it didn't really matter as he had reached parity and could openly reveal his newly assigned identity. Velax could see no choice but to join him but before Ketchum could get confirmation from Headquarters, two-way communications was mysteriously severed. No matter, he sets off to join Velax for one last lynching wearing Lefanis' Nobel prize around his neck...

The Hunter Scientist Velax too sets off to meet Ketchum. However, he had one last card to play and he was determined to play it. He packed an extra gun for the ultimate confrontation and either they were dying tonight or the Thing was.

Both Ketchum and Velax make their way to the station gym where they had hung Sonya. It was also the place where Telrunya was burnt to a crisp and it was the only lead they had that somehow, Telrunya had infected Sonya. In the gym, they find Telrunya partly in ashes as well as Sonya who was still hung.

"Cover me", whispers Ketchum as he cuts Sonya down. They they both aim their examine Sonya who doesn't even blink much less move.

"This can't be right", whispers Ketchum again as he kneels besides Sonya. Then he hears a gun being locked right behind his head.

"Sorry, Agent Ketchum", says Velax. "There's no way I'm joining you." He presses both his guns into the back of Ketchum's head. "I LIED."

In an instant, a spear-like tentacle bursts out from Velax' chest and he drops his guns and frantically grabs his chest in a futile reflexive action. The Thing growls: "How many people have you shot, Velax?" It sneers: "When you shoot someone, make sure they're dead... and stay dead." Then it steps from behind Velax as it tosses him aside like a rag doll.

Velax the Hunter / Scientist is attacked and killed.

Frantically, Ketchum grabs both the guns that were dropped and rolls to one side and as he comes to his knees fires both weapons in one fluid motion in a move that would have made his mentor proud. He empties all his rounds at the Thing who shudders at each impact but nonetheless keeps moving forward until all that is coming from Ketchum is empty clicks. Then, finally, as the last to fall, Rookie Agent Ketchum is torn to bits by the Thing.

Ketchum the Researcher / Scientist turned Secret Government Agent is attacked and killed.

The Thing slowly searches Ketchum's clothing and he (yes, it is a he) pulls out Ketchum's last research. He goes through the paper until he finds the pertinent information he is looking for and underlines one word with a blood stained-finger:

SELF-PRESERVATION

Each cell or group of cells is self-aware and has an in-built desire for self-preservation, even at the expense of the larger biomass it spawned from. After the torso of an assimilated individual has burned to death, the head separated away from the fire and developed arthropod-esque legs and eyes stalks to facilitate escape. When a small sample of Thing blood was exposed to a heated wire, in the presence of its form and still infected host, it leapt away in an attempt to escape. Similarly spilt Thing blood was seen to pool and run in rivulets looking for escape.

While fire has a devastating effect on its physical form it has been shown that the blood and soft tissues remain intact deeper inside and are seemingly self-aware or lucky enough, with the host creatures sensory organs and motor skills devastated, to still effect an ambush of a new host once he was left alone near the corpse.

He smiles and tears up the paper into bits. The Thing, with his cunning selection of infection target has ensured its survival. Then he reaches into one of his pockets and takes out a small piece of card that he had recovered from the place of his lynching and with his blood-stained finger... signs it - with a smile.

THE END

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #211: October 14, 2012, 07:47:04 PM »
"While fire has a devastating effect on its physical form it has been shown that the blood and soft tissues remain intact deeper inside and are seemingly self-aware or lucky enough, with the host creatures sensory organs and motor skills devastated, to still effect an ambush of a new host once he was left alone near the corpse."

I don't understand...when Telrunya was set on fire and killed, it was Sonya's corpse he was left near.

Fury

« Reply #212: October 14, 2012, 07:55:15 PM »
There is a much earlier research that is also relevant:

Biology

Each individual cell of the creature is both part of a singular multi-cellular lifeform and distinct, independent entity at the same time. Dual-functionality of the creature enables individual cells and/or collections of cells to function as separate organisms if necessary, which are invariably focused on one goal; assimilating and imitating other lifeforms.

It assimilates other lifeforms by either deploying separate, autonomous parts or using the mass of its own body to capture or seize a host, which will subsequently consume and generate a replica of the host from the biomass of the victim and the parasite itself, which is itself a copy of the Thing. Depending upon the size or nature of the infectious method, the consumption and replication of a host can take a variable length of time, depending on whether the assimilating agent are small particles or larger forms.
So, the Thing could really infect any time it liked.

...spilt Thing blood was seen to pool and run in rivulets looking for escape.
Even after death.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #213: October 14, 2012, 07:57:08 PM »
So what part of the research actually pointed to D'Espana?

Fury

« Reply #214: October 14, 2012, 08:05:14 PM »
The research pointed to the method of infection which the researcher was supposed to have discovered but you had already figured it out without needing the research. Once you did, I didn't stress on the research anymore.

D'Espana

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #215: October 15, 2012, 12:10:55 AM »
Heh, so this is finally over. Good game to everyone, though I have to admit that since Fury allowed the resurrection of a corpse as Thing v2 the scientists were pretty much screwed.
D'Espana Family

Sonya

• Mighty Duke
  • Traveling to a new world!
    • View Profile
« Reply #216: October 15, 2012, 01:21:22 AM »
Thanks you.... that's a good way to treat a Sage.

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #217: October 15, 2012, 01:37:39 AM »
Told you, Velax. We should shoot one suspect, lynch the another suspect.
This way we could have hit 2 suspects in one night 8)

Oh well. I presume my research upload to the system did not make it through to headquarters. For the next Thing game of course ;)
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #218: October 15, 2012, 02:35:56 AM »
As Researcher/Scientist, I am planning on a Joint Together Research with Zaki/Rolly but he never say yes. Maybe if this Joint Research success, the Village could win?
You wait all day for Zaki to respond but he never does and you have no time left to do any research yourself.

Lefanis recruited me as Agent 8)
Alright Ketchum- I'll level with you.

You know I ain't the thing, as Velax just shot me yesterday. I know you aren't the thing, because I part time as a psychologist when I'm not seducing beautiful women and winning Nobels, and I've analysed you thoroughly.

Names Hunt. Ethan Hunt. Special Agent sent here to bring the real Thing in alive, at any cost back to HQ.

So I'm willing to cut you a deal- join me as a secret agent and help me catch Velax. Face it, it's the only way you win. If you don't deal with me, Velax the Thing wins as he can disable one of our votes by shooting us(need 2 votes for a lynch) so we can't take him down unless you join me and then we are 100% certain Velax is the thing and we take him into custody. There is no way to lynch him with one vote disabled, so you have no choice if you want to live another day.

If you help me, we both live, and I'll even put in a word for you to share the Nobel with me this year  8)

I'm making you an offer you just can't refuse.

Just think what a hit you'll be with the ladies, Agent Ketchum.
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).

Fury

« Reply #219: October 15, 2012, 04:28:03 AM »
GM Notes

The game had 2 days advance notice before starting proper:
  • PRE-EVENTS - 1 day notice
  • NIGHT 1 EVENT - NPC kill

The Big Twist:
  • The presumed dead player(s) should post in a non-default colour until their true role is confirmed
This is a rule that existed right from the start of the WW games and it occurred to me that we have never used it yet.

More clues:
May infect one body...
May prove more useful than realized (on Researchers)
Sharing information may be beneficial and even necessary in certain situations.

Behind the scenes:
Sonya was the most persistent in scanning someone over and over again until their roles were revealed
There were several days of research that were not used (more research would help narrow down the important info)
There were several days with no Thing attacks because the Thing (Telrunya) was on a date!  ::)

Goof-ups:
Killing Zaki when he should have lived (but as he could be infected didn't matter too much)
Letting slip that the Thing was a 'he'
Having D'Espana as the Thing confront Lefanis with an agent RP (Velax is just too sharp, got to tone down the clues :P )

Added rules that were worth it:
Failure to vote has NO consequence (as the game is advanced through attacks)
Lynching requires a minimum of 2 votes for the to-be-lynched person (adds a new dimension in getting co-operation)
On the Thing - Has a more successful attack against the quieter humans who don't speak much and keep to themselves (helps keep the active players in play)

GM Event:
Two-way communications disruption (for added RP and also if Velax and Ketchum kept prying for info there was bound to be unintentional leaks :P )

MISC Info:
RP and pictures were inspired by player RP and posting as well as whatever pictures I manage to find or modify and whatever inspiration occurs to me at or just before deadline when I have a rough idea of what is going to happen)

It seemed ironically delicious to have the 2 agents (Lefanis and D'Espana) slapping each other (as they didn't manage to find each other as partners - agents were inserted separately and alone)

I was shocked when the Hunter (Velax) came out shooting right from the start. I'd think that that would make him a target for the Thing for sure but he escaped because there were several inactives. A bold move that paid off till the end.

I made Slapsticks and Barek as Escape Artists because they tend to get lynched at the start. Unfortunately, it doesn't prevent attacks through inactivity.

So far all Thing attacks (save one, Velax) were inactivity attacks and all were successful.

As for all the 'sages' - 2 psychics + 2 psychologists = 4 in total with 2 as Agents so they can scan and identify the Thing, it was balanced by everyone having multiple roles so multiple scans were needed and lots of co-operation

Contenders for Best Repartee:
  • Lefanis, you trying for double lynch eh?
    Finally caught you voting without any reason...

Fool, minimum of 2 votes needed for a lynch. Single vote doesn't make it double lynch. You are never going to win that Nobel. Dangles his own Nobel in front of ketchum's nose
  • Alright, if anyone has any information, now's the time to share it. Is anyone a Researcher?

har har har.
    Game over Thing
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 04:32:20 AM by Fury »

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #220: October 15, 2012, 05:25:39 AM »
Told you, Velax. We should shoot one suspect, lynch the another suspect.
This way we could have hit 2 suspects in one night 8)

Oh well. I presume my research upload to the system did not make it through to headquarters. For the next Thing game of course ;)

Why didn't Velax join Agents? There was no hope for a victory for him otherwise.
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #221: October 15, 2012, 05:48:47 AM »

• Alright, if anyone has any information, now's the time to share it. Is anyone a Researcher?

har har har.
    Game over Thing

I can imagine Velax's predicament, knowing he isn't the thing with no way to prove it.  ;D
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #222: October 15, 2012, 05:51:21 AM »

So far all Thing attacks (save one, Velax) were inactivity attacks and all were successful.

Mine too?  :(

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #223: October 15, 2012, 07:56:12 AM »
Why didn't Velax join Agents? There was no hope for a victory for him otherwise.
I did try recruit Velax as our Agent. Either Velax does not trust me and say yes to GM, or GM RolePlay of breakdown in our communication with Headquarters caused this ???

If Velax does not trust me, that explain why he so sure he can win this game as Hunter/Scientist. I propose to him in our PM, he shoot one suspect while we lynch one suspect. This way we cover 2 chances in 6 persons left to identify the Thing. Guess I should change my Identify Thing to another suspect, D'Espana who I pointed out to Velax ::)

I rue the day we killed Zaki, our Researcher and Sonya, our Sage. They both hold the key to Village victory.
I suspect Zaki was infected as he not respond to my Joint Research offer.
Sonya on the other hand, was a misfortunate case of us not trusting her and I not online at the time to change my vote :'(

I did a mistake in my analysis about my Research notes provided by Fury.
Privately I clarify thing with GM about copy-and-paste notes from GM, as I saw Zaki done it earlier :(

Zakilevo

« Reply #224: October 15, 2012, 09:41:40 AM »
I did try recruit Velax as our Agent. Either Velax does not trust me and say yes to GM, or GM RolePlay of breakdown in our communication with Headquarters caused this ???

If Velax does not trust me, that explain why he so sure he can win this game as Hunter/Scientist. I propose to him in our PM, he shoot one suspect while we lynch one suspect. This way we cover 2 chances in 6 persons left to identify the Thing. Guess I should change my Identify Thing to another suspect, D'Espana who I pointed out to Velax ::)

I rue the day we killed Zaki, our Researcher and Sonya, our Sage. They both hold the key to Village victory.
I suspect Zaki was infected as he not respond to my Joint Research offer.
Sonya on the other hand, was a misfortunate case of us not trusting her and I not online at the time to change my vote :'(

I did a mistake in my analysis about my Research notes provided by Fury.
Privately I clarify thing with GM about copy-and-paste notes from GM, as I saw Zaki done it earlier :(

:( I was busy that day. And I was never infected. But people seem to always go for me :O