Author Topic: Can old folk home club is considered as clan?  (Read 21174 times)

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
Re: Can old folk home club is considered as clan?
« Reply #15: September 30, 2012, 08:52:45 AM »
Terran generally works hard to avoid this problem, but I know I had some concerns we might have a bit of it going on a few months ago when we had a big influx of new players. Hence one of the major motivations for Hireshmont taking a step back.

Terran is interesting. On one hand, we certainly have a circle in power that has been in power for some time. On the other hand, Lordships are a revolving door and any new character who is in the realm for a month has a very good chance of gaining a Lordship fairly easily, and because Terran is a Republic being a Lord gets you on the Senate meaning you automotically can have an influential voice in how the realm behaves and operates--if you want to. What's most surprising is that most people fail to be active or talkative in the Senate, and therefore fail to become very influential.

Heck, even the gov't positions aren't that hard to get into. The last election we actually have a bit of a hard time even getting people to want to run for some of them.

Eston is absolutely like this– a handful of players (largely with two characters each in Eston) have held effectively the same positions for approximately forever. It's hilarious if you look at their HighCouncl– they're basically all, like, 65+ years old. Makes for some fun RPing I guess, but annoying to play alongside.

Geez, Eston is awful. Vellos is not exaggerating. The circle of power in Eston is literally about 4-5 families, and yes all with 2 characters in the realm. Most all of the characters are 65+, with a few well into their 70's or 80's. A couple even exclusively play in Eston with no characters on other continents or realms. They favor each other strongly, and would never tolerate one of the others losing their key positions or powers. Most of them have been Duke of almost every city in Eston at some point, held government positions at some point, or even been King at some point. Also, most hold multiple titles "Duke, Marshal, Sponsor, Gov't Member." Finally, if one of them does retire or kill off a character, the new young "son" or "young cousin" or "nephew" character they bring in is automatically favored for appointments, etc. because "their father taught them everything he knew about running a realm."

Now, none of it illegal or against the rules, obviously. And I don't think they're a clan or any OOC communication goes on (they don't even need to do that. They don't even need to communicate that many things IC to each other, cause they all just know they have each other's backs.) They all know and address each other by name OOC, simply because they know each other cause they've been playing together for so long. But wow, it is crazy entrenched and there is hardly anything you can do about it.

Or, another example, the Vellos and Perth families– we are definitely OOC friends, and that definitely does affect how we play. I know we both try to mitigate it, but we don't do nearly a well enough job.

This is true. Though I feel we've done pretty well over the years. I mean the only characters who have really been friends is Kale and Hireshmont II, and those guys have some legit history. From Melodia, to trying to rebuild Melodia, to building Terran from the ground up into what it is today.

Other than that, there isn't much. Kerwin and Cyrilos, but only very recently, and only marginally and too no gain. Actually, the opposite.

-----

But when it comes to new players, if I am in a position of power I am always looking for the new guys. Honestly, I seek out new people hoping they will be someone I can 1)make friends with and 2) rely on for things. Reliable people are hard to find and if I can find an enthusiastic youngster wanting to contribute, that can only mean goods things for both of us. I support him into positions/power quickly, we both gain a political ally/friend, and I gain a reliable character for military things, or even politics.

I have done this in Terran to great effect. The current Chief Magistrate of Terran, Alura, being the best example. As soon as that player joined the game and put a character in Terran I was in contact with the character. As I encouraged their own excitement about the game, I realized their potential and quickly helped them up the ladder by making her my Vice Marshal, and not long after the Marshal. Supported her into an important Lordship in my Duchy (whose loyalties to myself and the Duchy I push strongly), financially supported her, and bam the player was hooked to the game and we had both benefited from the relationship. Now the character is ruler of Terran.

Older characters, on the other hand, are much harder to play with. They have their own agendas and designs. Seek conflict. And generally aren't as beneficial to you unless you have a prior established relationship.

Honestly, I don't know why more people don't eagerly jump onto and actively fight (for influence) over the new guys. Sure, a lot aren't responsive, or don't show interest. But many do. And frankly, more would show more interest and "get into the game" if they were engaged by people right from the start.

"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)