Author Topic: Knight and Lord Relationship  (Read 20232 times)

Zakilevo

Knight and Lord Relationship
« Topic Start: October 06, 2012, 07:52:54 AM »
What I've noticed after the implementation of the current estate system is that not many lords seem to care about having knights anymore.

As everyone starts as a knight, I think it is important for lords and knights to be close to each other. Is there anyway to encourage lords to care more about their knights?

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
Re: Knight and Lord Relationship
« Reply #1: October 06, 2012, 11:57:09 AM »
I agree, but it's hard to do. Especially since most Knights are either new people who are quiet, or don't stick around very long because they move on up the ranks.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #2: October 06, 2012, 12:51:37 PM »
Hm, I'm surprised. Why don't they care about knights? Without them, you get maybe half the region income.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: October 06, 2012, 01:06:46 PM »
Hm, I'm surprised. Why don't they care about knights? Without them, you get maybe half the region income.

No, you don't. You get a perfectly efficient estate for yourself, plus 50% of the unoccupied estates and wild lands. If a knight takes that estate, then that 50% goes to them (minus taxes).

That being said, I have yet to see new players unable to secure an estate. The main reason there are many regions without knights is that estates from cities often provide more gold, and since covering a region is no longer needed to keep control, then people do not feel the need to sacrifice gold for the sake of having at least one knight per region.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: October 06, 2012, 01:25:20 PM »

There's a difference between total income and personal income. Knights decrease personal income, sometimes enormously.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: October 06, 2012, 01:37:09 PM »
unless you whack the lord's share up enough to make no difference. but would knights take it up.... if resulting income is too low?

---
there are other reasons to have knights... some elections favour lords with lots of knights.

equally.. you might choose to have a couple of rich as opposed to having a ton of poor knights.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 01:43:06 PM by fodder »
firefox

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: October 06, 2012, 04:49:09 PM »
This is a problem we talked about while fine-tuning the new estates, Tom.

Basically, there's no personal incentive for a Lord to add knights to his region. There's an incentive to the realm—greater total realm income—but the Lord will get less money with knights than he will without in almost all cases.

Earlier versions of the new estate design had efficiency for the whole region increasing as the number of knights went up, so that a region could support many knights and for each knight, the amount of money each % of the region produced would increase—to the point where it would be possible to push the region's total income well over the nominal value with the right estate setup. I believe this was deemed too complicated to balance easily.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Psyche

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: October 06, 2012, 05:41:44 PM »
As another already stated, I don't think the issue is so much lack of need for knights, but lack of available knights.  Most any size estate you can create in a rural is almost never going to be as lucrative as a good sized city or town estate; very true and felt in smaller realms.

I do see plenty incentives for lords to still want knights though.  Political power( given referendum styles), military leverage in armies, stewards, being more efficient at civil work, and the benefits of them looting foreign food, to name a few.

The difference in gold production is intentional and realistic.   The only perks I could maybe see as a viable incentive to WANT to pay more to knights would be to make civil work more powerful in certain region types- which to me is pointless on a normal situation other than raising the sustainable tax rate.
Or, wait for the long ago discussed buildings for estates that offered much potential.   This potentially new feature is as cool as the new estate system itself, but likely to get next to no fussing other than bugs and people wishing for more buildings.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #8: October 06, 2012, 05:52:34 PM »
Well, the thing is that the "currency" of rural regions - food - only benefits the lord. And the problem of cities - food - is only a problem for the lord. We have an imbalance there, but one we can not easily address.

Zakilevo

« Reply #9: October 06, 2012, 10:23:43 PM »
Well, the thing is that the "currency" of rural regions - food - only benefits the lord. And the problem of cities - food - is only a problem for the lord. We have an imbalance there, but one we can not easily address.

Hmm. Maybe once a more complex economic system gets implemented, things may change.

Like once regions start to produce iron wood stone and other stuff, maybe reduce the amount of resources you get?

For example:

A region lord of X mine with 40% estate without knights will only produce 40% of whatever metals while another region lord of Y mine with 40% estate and two knights with 30% estate each will produce 100% of metals. Something like that.

But we will first need more players before implementing anything too big.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: October 06, 2012, 11:04:59 PM »

Could the gold from food sales be put into a general region pot, and have it be distributed by the estate percentages?
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: October 06, 2012, 11:18:31 PM »

This is one reason why my duke character refuses to pay above a certain price for food. Since it all goes to the lord what's the point in lining his pockets? If it went to the region as a whole he might be willing to pay more since it would benefit the knights as well.
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

Zakilevo

« Reply #12: October 06, 2012, 11:23:13 PM »
Could the gold from food sales be put into a general region pot, and have it be distributed by the estate percentages?

This might not be a bad idea. It will encourage knights to demand more gold for food as well. It is going be interesting to see how it will work out if things do change like that.

Kwanstein

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: October 07, 2012, 05:52:13 AM »
I'd never pass up knights for the sake of inefficient wild lands.

The only reason I've ever lacked for knights is because there are so few knights to go around.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #14: October 07, 2012, 10:32:49 AM »
Yeah, the whole thing is that we need to have a balance between it being good to have knights and it being a disaster to not having any because sometimes there just aren't any around.