Author Topic: The Marrocidenian war  (Read 552115 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: The Marrocidenian war
« Reply #1020: December 21, 2012, 10:19:37 PM »
I may not be able to role play on their behalf but I can see no reason why I can not role play my perception of them I choose (As Jimbo rode into the capital city of Barca, the smell struck him as offensive. Jimbo could never live in such a place. It was all so barbaric and dreary.) This was just my perception. It was a bunch of opinions. It could very well be that a Barcan would think the same upon entering Jimbo's country.

The only part of that particular example that's a bit questionable is the smell.

I can also role play my character portraying them any way i chose (Dear Important Person, It surprises me that Barca continues to exist. They are nothing more than a bunch of pig farmers. The problem is that they confuse their pigs and their peasants and have a little too much fun with both! We really should wipe such filth off the map and build a civilized, functional nation in Barca's place). This is me bad mouthing Barca. It doesn't make it true.

Certainly. You can write whatever you want in a letter. Letters are purely in-character documents written by your character, from your character's point of view. ("Did I say the Enterprise should be towing garbage? I meant that she should be hauled away as garbage!")

What I'm talking about here is narrative RP, where you are describing what your character sees around him, and you are describing it as being mud huts and sewage in the streets.

I really think that people seem to be taking ones expressed perception or opinion as making decisions for the other party.

No; what I have heard about is people actually roleplaying that this is what the Barcan peasants are like, not simply describing it as such IC to other nobles.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan