Author Topic: The Marrocidenian war  (Read 552676 times)

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: The Marrocidenian war
« Reply #60: October 10, 2012, 03:05:58 PM »
Terran and D'Hara don't really like the Zuma... if he can show that he can beat up the Zuma, we might just help him. ;)

Mendicant likes the Zuma in his own weird way, don't get him wrong he considers them little more than wildlife, but they have the same sort of attitude when it comes to war. I'm half sure Aurvandil may be able to beat the Zuma, but then that presumes the Zuma can be beaten, and not just spawn new hordes nigh indefinitely. It's on my list of things to try if Aurvandil ever gets substantial peace time to build up our infrastructure, store some reserve gold and prepare for war, which we've never had. After all, Haktoo is just about the only ruler capable of standing up to Mendicant on their own and potentially slapping him down brutally, and that just adds the sort of thrill to a war Mendicant would consider worthy of him. Glory lies over the horizon, challenge it because you know you cannot reach it.

Sure, I'll give it you that you all are resourceful. No one argues against that I don't think. You are so resourceful and active to the point of a lot of controversy and suspicion around it.

However, I would posit that the war between Aurvandil and Madina was fundementally different in that it was all focused on one small bottle necked choke point. This changes a lot.

Nevertheless, I won't argue the hypothetical war between Terran and Aurvandil any longer. Was a little silly to bring up in the first place, I guess.

--

So, this new realm in Paisly... you have no intention of defending it, then? So you're conquering it so Terran can't have it, then are going to split it off, and then sit by while Terran reconquers it? Seems... silly.

Anyone who thinks we're active to the point of suspicion sees what they want to see, and ignores the reality in front of them. Aurvandil is regularly dogged by inactive and over extended movements.

As for the new Paisly realm, well, whether we will defend it depends on the circumstance. If Terran invades as a means of conquest to then continue their war on Aurvandil, we'll intervene, it's would just be ungallant of us to leave Lady Florence to be conquered by hordes of Terranese. Or if say, down the line Florence challenges Terran to a war and loses, well they brought that on themselves it's not Aurvandil's problem.

Can we please immortalize the doctrine of "defensive conquest"? Seems a bit, erm... paradoxical...

It really isn't.

There is a clear distinction between defensively conquering a land, for obviously defensive reasons, and aggressively conquering a land for aggressive agendas.