Author Topic: The Marrocidenian war  (Read 552992 times)

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: The Marrocidenian war
« Reply #870: December 14, 2012, 09:31:16 PM »
Oh gracious. Dukes were hoarding land. You don't say? They were distributing land as they pleased? Dukes were? Really? How corrupt! Imagine that, dukes distributing land as they pleased, and punishing lords when they break their oaths! How ghastly! And imagine dukes using taxes as a way to punish unruly or disruptive lords– that's unthinkable!

Punishing lords if they wouldn't break their oaths, and levying taxes to try and force them to. Don't misconstrue my words so deliberately.

No, the Orvandeaux loyalism long predates the ban. Those nobles also favored not enforcing the Treaty of Evanburg as I recall (or, rather, simply complained a lot when it was going to be enforced). Threat to secede also preceded the banishment– though obviously the actual secession came after the banishment. It wouldn't make sense to get banished then THREATEN to secede. The whole in your story here is you've failed to explain why Barca acted the way it did– other than a presumption that they're just terrible, terrible people who like banning good people. But that just doesn't make sense.

I'll take your word for it, though I have only your word to support the notion that they were loyal to Aurvandil. By all accounts, the Old Guard were more loyal to Aurvandil because they actually asked Mendicant if they could defect to Aurvandil when Flavia took power as Suffete and they lost the rulership (which shows you what sort of people the Old Guard were) but the three Margraves never spoke to Mendicant they just switched.

Which is why your ruler and general are the same as when you were founded, and your main duke, city lord, and ruler are one person who never has to face elections.

Tell me again about your egalitarian society.

Gladly.

Our Knight Hausos At Arms can only be a man who is firstly, a Cavalier, and secondly proven his prowess, Allomere is the Knight Hausos because he is first amongst knights, and has displayed himself as a exemplar of chivalry, honour and valour whilst also showing his ability to command the armies and bring victory. The Knight Hausos is more than just a General, it is a very ceremonial position in Aurvandil, second to none in rank and honour and it has very, very select criteria on who can become the Knight Hauso. But at the same time, we hold elections for the Knight Hausos and we hold Allomere to account every month and our nobles grant their consent to his command each month in the elections. It is because we are egalitarian that not just any old person can take the position, they have to be the best.

As for the position of High Sovereign. It is run by rule by consent, whereby the High Sovereign is both answerable to the people, and accountable to their will, and the High Sovereign rules only so long as his people consents to his reign. Thus, ensuring that our ruler is not the most "popular" as you would get with elections, but he is the best and has the loyalty and consent of his people, nothing so trivial as temporary popularity in elections like you see in Republics.

Our main Duke, is Sarit, not Mendicant just so you know. Our Dukes are again, the best nobles in the realm, the most deserving, and it is by that logic that we don't play musical chairs with who gets the position, but at the same time we make it open for other nobles to ascend to ducal positions, as ever the best get titles such as Dukedoms, which are at their core, again very ceremonial positions more than embodiments of land based power. Our lordships are frequently given to the newest nobles who contribute the most, the same with our marshal positions and our vice marshal positions (These are the positions that most involve the player and are thus the ones we should keep fluid to the new characters) and our government positions have been known to frequently alter. Another thing you have to consider is the roleplayed titles and positions of power in Aurvandil, there are more of those than there are real titles, and these are ones we frequently hand out to knew players, for example the next highest position of honour in Aurvandil to Knight Hausos At Arms is the Porte-Auriflamme of the Rois, who bears Mendicant's personal standard the Auriflamme (Derivative obviously of the Oriflamme, but changed to Auri as in Aurv) whereby the Porte-Auriflamme is sworn to die rather than yield the ground the banner rests upon. It is an immensely important position in Aurvandil. Another position, for example, is the High Sovereign's Champion, another supremely important ceremonial position that automatically places the Chevalier in the Rois and high on the Aurvandilan hierarchy, higher than any lord or duke. Yet another position to consider, is the keeper of the Eternal Treasury, not to be confused with the Royal Purser who basically just fiddles with the granaries and does tax reports.

There are only so many titles in the game, so we make a point of making more titles and positions to then distribute to our nobles as a ways of distributing power and "involvement" to players who otherwise wouldn't be involved.

But in all seriousness– I agree that encouraging new players to get involved is important and good. Terran does lots of that as well (we routinely give brand new members lordships).

But to argue that a realm is corrupt and needs to be destroyed because its existing lords worked together to keep power (yet still gave multiple lordships to new players?) seems a bit silly. By that standard, every realm should be destroyed.

Then again, Aurvandil is at war with nearly every realm...

I was pointing out an inconsistency in the position you have articulated.

I never said that Barca needs to be destroyed because they are corrupt, I believe many of these inconsistencies in my position are simply things that you mistakenly believe to have been said.

I did however say that Barca needed to be destroyed when they sold their statehood to the Zuma and pursued a war on Aurvandil.