Author Topic: The Marrocidenian war  (Read 554862 times)

Poliorketes

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: The Marrocidenian war
« Reply #990: December 20, 2012, 02:00:45 AM »
If you consider a tank that can't travel capable. In June 1941 half a CORP was lost on the way to Dubno, not to enemy fire, but to wear and tear.

mmm... I consider a tank than is better armed, better protected, faster, lighter, cheaper and with a very low kg/cm2 (this in on snow or mud terrain is VERY important)

The BT-7, BT-9 and T-26 were better than the Pz-I and Pz-II, the T-34 was better than the Pz-III and the T-34(43) or the T-34(85) were better than the Pz-IV, the Tiger and the KV-I were similar, as were the Panther and the T-34(85).

The German advantage was their new tactic, the Blitzkrieg... and their elite crews. Even in the first days (1941) only ONE KV, well positioned, could stop the advance of one whole Panzer Division for one or two days... until the Russian tank retreated, or finally was destroyed. (usually by a FlaK-88, the German tanks were totally useless against the KV's)

After a battle, the Russian mechanics find on one KV-I more than 230 impacts of German guns (the usual was 30-40 'hits')... the tank was totally unharmed.