Author Topic: Sea Travel Feedback  (Read 59150 times)

D'Espana

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Sea Travel Feedback
« Reply #45: October 16, 2012, 01:04:54 AM »
A little input here. I have a courtier in Paisly (Dwi) and a warrior in Rines (Belua) with a similarly sized unit (8 men vs 10 men) The price for sailing is similar (17 vs 16 gold, it's curious that it costs more with 8 men than with 10, but I'm not going to complain for 1 gold) The interesting part, though, arrives in the times estimation: 4 hours for the 10 men in Rines, but -1 hours (yeah, not kidding) for the 8 men in Paisly. Wow, very cool to gain time embarking, I wish RL was similar  ;D
D'Espana Family

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #46: October 16, 2012, 02:42:52 AM »
A little input here. I have a courtier in Paisly (Dwi) and a warrior in Rines (Belua) with a similarly sized unit (8 men vs 10 men) The price for sailing is similar (17 vs 16 gold, it's curious that it costs more with 8 men than with 10, but I'm not going to complain for 1 gold) The interesting part, though, arrives in the times estimation: 4 hours for the 10 men in Rines, but -1 hours (yeah, not kidding) for the 8 men in Paisly. Wow, very cool to gain time embarking, I wish RL was similar  ;D

That is, of course, a bug. I think I found and fixed it.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 02:45:30 AM by Tom »

D'Espana

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: October 16, 2012, 02:52:05 AM »
Yeah, you did it. 3 hours now, the same gold as before. The 10 men unit has two scouts and the 8 men has nothing else, so I can't still explain the difference of gold between them, but the main issue is solved.
D'Espana Family

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: October 16, 2012, 07:03:07 AM »
arrived in zenith coast (from northern passage):

Dancing Tides    (310 miles, ca. 26 hours)    <- cf (233 miles, ca. 20 hours) when i embarked from Jorradith almost a week ago
    Northern Passage    (307 miles, ca. 26 hours) <- cf (396 miles, ca. 33 hours) when i embarked from Jorradith almost a week ago

landing time this turn, compared to last week when he embarked from Jorradith
    Ienith    (Iashalur, 145 miles, ca. 13 hours)... cf (70 miles, ca. 6 hours)
    Jorradith    (Iashalur, 100 miles, ca. 9 hours)... cf (25 miles, ca. 3 hours)
    Zereth    (Astrum, 85 miles, ca. 8 hours)... cf (84 miles, ca. 7 hours)
    Ygg d'Razhuul    (Astrum, 93 miles, ca. 8 hours)... cf (138 miles, ca. 12 hours)
    Yggdramir    (Astrum, 131 miles, ca. 11 hours)... cf (197 miles, ca. 17 hours)
    Valkyrja    (Astrum, 125 miles, ca. 11 hours)... cf (199 miles, ca. 17 hours)

Zenith Coast
You are currently sailing towards Dancing Tides.
You will reach your destination in about 26 hours...

so.. i guess.. it's your land->sea->land/sea thingy?  going to sail elsewhere and then land and then embark again..
firefox

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #49: October 16, 2012, 11:23:07 AM »
Yeah, you did it. 3 hours now, the same gold as before. The 10 men unit has two scouts and the 8 men has nothing else, so I can't still explain the difference of gold between them, but the main issue is solved.

Looking at the code, I can explain the difference. But I'll leave it unexplained so the community can puzzle it out.

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: October 16, 2012, 11:26:00 AM »
I know you wanted to keep it simple, Tom, but I think this shouldn't really take too much time.

What about adding under the military advisory tab, near to where one can see how long would it take for his current unit to travel from region x to region y, the time needed to embark? At least it helps planning campaigns, which should be the goal of the military advisor.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #51: October 16, 2012, 02:23:38 PM »
You assume that is a fixed value, but it isn't.

Among other things, it heavily depends upon the region you are embarking from. Harbor or not, diplomatic relations, all play a role.

Kellaine

• Noble Lord
  • Honor in Service
    • View Profile
    • Thatcher  Family
« Reply #52: October 16, 2012, 05:23:04 PM »
I am not sure if anyone has asked this yet.... What about sea battles?  What will happen if two or more enemies reach the same sea zone. Will there be a battle and what would it be like?
Dexter - Principality of Zonasa, Telgar - Principality of Zonasa, Wil - Morek Empire, Crom- Adventurer - Kabrinskia-paused

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #53: October 16, 2012, 05:27:35 PM »
I am not sure if anyone has asked this yet.... What about sea battles?  What will happen if two or more enemies reach the same sea zone. Will there be a battle and what would it be like?

There is no battle.  Sea zones are very large and the possibility of meeting is assumed to be zero.  Ships travel as though there are no other ships.  Sea battles are not planned and will not be considered for the foreseeable future.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Kellaine

• Noble Lord
  • Honor in Service
    • View Profile
    • Thatcher  Family
« Reply #54: October 16, 2012, 05:30:15 PM »
There is no battle.  Sea zones are very large and the possibility of meeting is assumed to be zero.  Ships travel as though there are no other ships.  Sea battles are not planned and will not be considered for the foreseeable future.

That is good to know.... losing an entire army at sea would just suck
Dexter - Principality of Zonasa, Telgar - Principality of Zonasa, Wil - Morek Empire, Crom- Adventurer - Kabrinskia-paused

mikm

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #55: October 16, 2012, 06:07:15 PM »
Was short on hours when I embarked it seems. Just on turn needed to land.

D'Espana

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #56: October 16, 2012, 11:58:41 PM »
Looking at the code, I can explain the difference. But I'll leave it unexplained so the community can puzzle it out.

Pfft, I think I get it now. 10 men and 2 scouts were in a region with a harbor, 8 men were not. Issue solved.
D'Espana Family

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #57: October 17, 2012, 11:06:11 AM »
You assume that is a fixed value, but it isn't.

Among other things, it heavily depends upon the region you are embarking from. Harbor or not, diplomatic relations, all play a role.

Right. I discovered it this morning as well.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #58: October 17, 2012, 12:50:46 PM »

That is good to know.... losing an entire army at sea would just suck

How would it be worse than losing an entire army on land?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

egamma

« Reply #59: October 17, 2012, 02:42:33 PM »
How would it be worse than losing an entire army on land?

"Gather your wounded off the floating pieces of debris...16 hours"