Author Topic: Duke/Margrave Dynamic  (Read 27125 times)

Eirikr

Duke/Margrave Dynamic
« Topic Start: October 13, 2012, 02:22:10 AM »
Before I say anything else, I apologize if this has been a topic before. It's caused a huge backlash in my realm (Coria) recently and I'm curious to hear how other realms have received the change. I'm not trying to define which is right and which is wrong, but rather to hear what has been adopted in each realm. BattleMaster gives the freedom to do different things for a reason.

The two main views I've heard are as follows:

• The Old Paradigm - Quite simply this treats the position of Duke and Margrave as different titles, but both belong to one noble. This mimics the old system in that a duchy is considered to be based in a city (in the same way that a realm is based in a capital) and, as a result, the Duke should be Margrave of his city.
  • The New Paradigm - This treats the two positions as distinctly different and neither one is a precursor to the other. A Margrave is essentially a glorified region lord under this system, the difference primarily consisting of the demands of a city (running a food deficit, having a larger income and being able to hold festivals and holidays).

If there are other methods people use, I'd love to hear them. My own realm has provided quite an extensive discussion of the logic behind each (directly or indirectly). I remember Tom releasing a rationale for the change... Once I have time to find it and quote it, I'll edit it into this post.

Edit: Related to http://forum.battlemaster.org/index.php/topic,3289.0.html
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 07:18:44 PM by Eirikr »