Author Topic: Sea travel  (Read 18282 times)

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Sea travel
« Reply #45: October 10, 2012, 05:11:37 AM »
I'm still not sure whether to be humbled or embarrassed. :P

Machiavel Chénier was the first noble to have recorded contact with the Zuma, though. The second recorded person, if you include adventurers (which you obviously shouldn't).
Not sure what to do OOC but IC you should use it as a sign of prestige, ex. I am so great I am the only noble family  to have a sea named after me or something like that.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: October 10, 2012, 05:15:56 AM »
Not sure what to do OOC but IC you should use it as a sign of prestige, ex. I am so great I am the only noble family  to have a sea named after me or something like that.

Indeed. The Chénier family is indeed one of the most well-known of the game, I believe, and has been on Dwilight since almost the very beginning and for almost all of that time (arrived a few days after the first colonists, then brief period between deleting my character and creating a new one there).

But still. I wasn't expecting to see that. :P
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: October 10, 2012, 05:17:15 AM »
I'm still not sure whether to be humbled or embarrassed. :P

Machiavel Chénier was the first noble to have recorded contact with the Zuma, though. The second recorded person, if you include adventurers (which you obviously shouldn't).

You better be the first to sail to that Sea Zone or it'll be a little awkward...
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: October 10, 2012, 05:21:40 AM »
So, wait, that zone... argues with you when you sail through it?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: October 10, 2012, 05:21:55 AM »
You better be the first to sail to that Sea Zone or it'll be a little awkward...
Or have someone sail their and claim it for Chenier, calling it Chenier's Coast, which is very doable if he asked a certain nearby trader who used to be his knight...

Also the above idea is rather medieval in my mind as I don't know when it was first done but their are definitely cases of it being done.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: October 10, 2012, 05:29:16 AM »

Hahahahahahahaha
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #51: October 10, 2012, 05:29:56 AM »

Hmmm... Will rivers be navigable? What about that big lake by Shokalom?

Priests can't travel yet anyways, though.

Or have someone sail their and claim it for Chenier, calling it Chenier's Coast, which is very doable if he asked a certain nearby trader who used to be his knight...

A certain nearby trader who used to be my knight... that could be so many people I have no idea who you are talking about, if anyone in particular. I've been a lord for almost all of my time in D'Hara, and many of my knights have been traders.

Hahahahahahahaha

That sea route needs an extra +10 hours to pass, because of this. :P
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #52: October 10, 2012, 09:46:57 AM »
Tom, in case I haven't mentioned it lately, I love you, and I will totally have your babies (my sister is training to be a genetic engineer, she'll make it work somehow).

If your sister is cute, you can send her instead. :-D

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #53: October 10, 2012, 09:47:44 AM »

+1

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #54: October 10, 2012, 09:49:00 AM »
Hmmm... Will rivers be navigable? What about that big lake by Shokalom?

No and no. Some lakes have been turned into sea zones, some have not. Rivers not. And most bridges can not be passed by ocean-going ships.

Zakilevo

« Reply #55: October 10, 2012, 10:37:17 AM »
No and no. Some lakes have been turned into sea zones, some have not. Rivers not. And most bridges can not be passed by ocean-going ships.

Thank goodness! Rivers are still good natural boundaries then.

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #56: October 10, 2012, 11:02:34 AM »
If I understand the system right, rivers would still make good boundaries as long as some militia are deployed. Any forces disembarking would have a hard time making the landing in such a case I think. I think a difficult and costly method of attacking and crossing rivers would be fun! At a later date if at all though. Just enjoying the thought!

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #57: October 10, 2012, 01:06:26 PM »
Long-term, perhaps river zones that can effectively be scouted and ambushed could be implemented.

No need for that right away, though.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #58: October 10, 2012, 03:35:02 PM »
If your sister is cute, you can send her instead. :-D

She is, alas, taken (I am as well, but Kelley agreed to make an exception for you, benefits of being with a fellow player) but I'll see what I can do!
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

egamma

« Reply #59: October 12, 2012, 02:33:57 PM »
I love sea travel! Now my trader can bypass inconvenient war zones to visit new lands.