Author Topic: Thoughts on being able to Disown you family  (Read 4049 times)

Azerax

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Thoughts on being able to Disown you family
« Topic Start: October 18, 2012, 02:16:12 AM »
This is a great thread about villains: http://forum.battlemaster.org/index.php/topic,3328.0.html

Personally, since people can just check out your family page and, in my experiencing, mix ooc with ic and put emphasis on who their parents were, it's not feasible to try to play a really great villain.

What if we could disown a character?  This character would have no family name or a made up name.  Do you think this would encourage you to play a villain?

Again, this is just a passing thought because I completely agree with the above thread.

Cheers,
Scott

Sonya

• Mighty Duke
  • Traveling to a new world!
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on being able to Disown you family
« Reply #1: October 18, 2012, 02:30:55 AM »
I do think they should keep the same family name, a Villainous Player can curse their own family name by his actions, and make the relatives suffer for that.

I do have a disowned character, but i made it IC. My family Disowned my Character on the FEI, she decided to become a Priest, act who is forbidden for a Military Family like mine. So when i talk about "that member" of my family she have less ties than an adventurer, because adventurers...well they still fight.

Families should have a mix of good and bad members, who knows, have you wondered what is heavier..... Fame or Infamy?

peace!

Jim

« Reply #2: October 18, 2012, 02:32:32 AM »
I think that's a cool idea, no idea how the mechanics would work or what kind of possible exploits there would be. This would be cool for making a hero too. No history, no family or anything of that sort, it could be the start of great heroes and villains. For some reason it reminds me of the first scene of Morrowind when you're talking to Jiub. I'm looking forward to seeing what other people think and seeing this thread grow.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: October 18, 2012, 02:35:18 AM »
This is a great thread about villains: http://forum.battlemaster.org/index.php/topic,3328.0.html

Personally, since people can just check out your family page and, in my experiencing, mix ooc with ic and put emphasis on who their parents were, it's not feasible to try to play a really great villain.

What if we could disown a character?  This character would have no family name or a made up name.  Do you think this would encourage you to play a villain?

Again, this is just a passing thought because I completely agree with the above thread.

Cheers,
Scott

I don't think people who plain villains would see this as being useful. Villains need influence, and a name helps to get this.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: October 18, 2012, 02:49:28 AM »
It's a cool idea, but I don't think it would even be possible with the battlemaster system.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: October 18, 2012, 04:23:05 AM »
With nobles, family is everything. No family? You're a nobody.

Also, I can't help but think that twinks would use this "secret character" to commit lots of twinkish abuses of the game.

It would become common meta-knowledge that any noble without a family name, or a family name that links to a "This family is secret" page was a villain character. Thus leading to some of the IC/OOC issues you're trying to avoid.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: October 18, 2012, 04:31:18 AM »
This is a creative idea, I wish it can be implemented.

I always RolePlay my 2 characters Ash and Brock in big dispute with each other. Which is why Brock left the Family Home and become an Adventurer in another island. Brock says he will not come back until he regain honor on his own. Which he done pretty well, rising from Adventurer to become Fontan Banker.

All Heroes need a Villain. See below quote from Mission Impossible 2.

Dr. Nekhorvich: Well, Dimitri, every search for a hero must begin with something every hero needs, a villain. So in a search for our hero, Bellerophon, we have created a more effective monster: Chimera.
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: October 18, 2012, 06:20:25 AM »
I like the idea in part. I think that family being able to disown a character is a good idea. I think, however, that the effects should only go as far as a message of the act being sent to each realm the family has a character in and a note being added to the family history.

Another option would be to make this character based. So each noble character in a family can 'protest' the acts of another character. A protest gets noted in the family history and sent to the realm of the protesting character. If enough protests are given the family member gets disowned with the same effects as above.

This way, when the evil guy's brother is running for judge in a republic and the competition tries to suggest that he would be an unfit candidate based on the family's history, the brother can simply point out, "I protested my brothers actions, as did other members of my family, and my brother was disowned when he did those horrible things. Neither I or my family  were ok with that!"

No secret families or alternate names, just a way for families and characters to defend themselves fro the evil acts of bad apples.

Ender

• Noble Lord
  • Neill Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: October 19, 2012, 02:38:29 AM »
Overall, I think having that forced link to the family is pretty important. Aside from the fact that it lends notoriety to the family, whether they want it or not, a noble's family history is important to establishing their status as a member of the nobility.

Honestly, it isnt terribly hard to roleplay that yourself without a mechanic anyway. The FEI branch of my game family was founded by a character that I roleplayed as disowned and exiled from his own family for murdering another family member. The only real obstacle to roleplaying that is that some players may assume all your characters are on good terms with each other, but its pretty easy to also inform them with some fun roleplay that its not the case.

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: October 19, 2012, 05:28:34 AM »
I do think they should keep the same family name, a Villainous Player can curse their own family name by his actions, and make the relatives suffer for that.

I do have a disowned character, but i made it IC. My family Disowned my Character on the FEI, she decided to become a Priest, act who is forbidden for a Military Family like mine. So when i talk about "that member" of my family she have less ties than an adventurer, because adventurers...well they still fight.

Families should have a mix of good and bad members, who knows, have you wondered what is heavier..... Fame or Infamy?

peace!

Infamy.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: October 19, 2012, 06:13:42 PM »
I don't even understand why the current system is 'bad.' If you have an infamous family member and somebody with the same name shows up, it isn't 'mixing ooc' to have characters be skeptical of it, it's other characters going 'huh, well, I wonder how far this apple fell from the tree.'