Author Topic: Infiltrator Help  (Read 12773 times)

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
Re: Infiltrator Help
« Reply #15: October 20, 2012, 07:59:46 AM »
Still... you should ask someone to fund you so you can at least get 40% swordfighting and 40% infiltration before you do anything. Try counting coins maybe instead of actually stealing the gold ;)

God no.  Stay away from those tax ninjas.  Road signs are a much better bet.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Zakilevo

« Reply #16: October 20, 2012, 08:40:50 AM »
God no.  Stay away from those tax ninjas.  Road signs are a much better bet.

Heh my infil is counting coins in his own realm ;) with the judge's permission of course

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #17: October 20, 2012, 09:27:48 AM »
...he's stealing from the tax coffers in his own realm, with the judge's permission?

Isn't that one of those things that people get punished for because it's an abuse?

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: October 20, 2012, 10:33:28 AM »
...he's stealing from the tax coffers in his own realm, with the judge's permission?

Isn't that one of those things that people get punished for because it's an abuse?

There is an option that allows you to only count without stealing anything. It's quite low-risk. It allows to know when your enemy's tax day is, if your looting has been effective, and most importantly whether it would be worth taking the risk to try to steal anything.

Also, even if you steal, I don't see how it's abuse. It's theft all right, but not abuse.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: October 20, 2012, 10:36:12 AM »
why do you need honor and prestige to be an infiltrator?  I need to be nice and noble before I can be underhanded and lie?

It's also a protection for new players. When you become an infiltrator it can be very easy to lose honour and prestige. Under a certain level you become an outlaw and you can be executed at will.

It also avoids people creating suicidal infiltrators in series. If forces you to play your character up to the point where you care about it surviving before risking your life.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: October 20, 2012, 12:48:25 PM »

I don't think so because, IIRC, operating in your own Realm gives you absolutely no improvement on your infiltration skill. So beyond testing your odds or annoying the local lord, it doesn't really do much. If you want to train, you need to operate at an enemy realm.

The options generally tell you how dangerous it is to do. Tax Offices tend to be guarded so are a bit riskier, it's probably better to hit some warehouses or something as your first options. Go with low risk to reduce the chance of capture. If you don't care about your Realm, pick a Realm with many enemies, allows you to be caught more times before you're out of options. Once banished, you can also ask your Judge to see if he can get your ban lifted, trading an enemy ban for it. Always have enough gold to pay your way out. It saved me many times.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 12:52:42 PM by Telrunya »

egamma

« Reply #21: October 20, 2012, 06:55:11 PM »
I don't think so because, IIRC, operating in your own Realm gives you absolutely no improvement on your infiltration skill.

That's absolutely correct, and the infiltrator action help page tells you that. You get no improvement against your own realm, little against allies, some against neutral, and only the full benefit with realms at war with yours.

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: October 20, 2012, 09:14:15 PM »
Play within your skill levels. As a newbie infiltrator, don't go around trying to collect the highest bounties. Train your skills at every opportunity. When you do start doing things, start small so you can get a feel for your skills. Expect to get caught and banned. Make sure you have a good defense ready prior to getting caught that first time. You *may* be able to talk your way out of it.

Also, don't get caught in a realm where I am judge. I don't play nice with captured nobles :p.

And the number one tip I have for an infil: unless you ABSOLUTELY have to, don't ever attack judges. They take it personaly.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

mikm

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: October 20, 2012, 09:30:36 PM »
I don't see why you would even need a n infiltrator when you can just send a blob of units to loot an enemy region to the ground. No chance of capture while looting.
Infiltrator is basically the you get captured class. Anything you do can get you captured.
In utterly silly situations.
Like getting caught for stealing gold from rogue region with a population What guards? There is just 1 person living there.
Or getting caught while stabbing a priest of an enemy realm. He is in the middle your realm, and there are no troops nearby. Who is doing the arresting here?
Even when trying to stab an adventurer you can get captured. Doesn't matter where the adventurer is.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 09:32:21 PM by mikm »

Zakilevo

« Reply #24: October 20, 2012, 09:45:02 PM »
I don't see why you would even need a n infiltrator when you can just send a blob of units to loot an enemy region to the ground. No chance of capture while looting.
Infiltrator is basically the you get captured class. Anything you do can get you captured.
In utterly silly situations.
Like getting caught for stealing gold from rogue region with a population What guards? There is just 1 person living there.
Or getting caught while stabbing a priest of an enemy realm. He is in the middle your realm, and there are no troops nearby. Who is doing the arresting here?
Even when trying to stab an adventurer you can get captured. Doesn't matter where the adventurer is.

That is where magic kicks in. Invisible guards! protecting order and justice of BM!

egamma

« Reply #25: October 21, 2012, 03:55:55 AM »

1. That peasant was sleeping on top of the tax gold. as you can imagine, that makes him uncomfortable, and a light sleeper.
2 and 3: The police/militia/dudley-do-rights noticed a man stabbing another man. What do you expect? Do you always establish your realm identity with all nearby people before conducting a stabbing? That wouldn't help your stealth now, would it?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: October 21, 2012, 04:00:56 AM »
Regardless, murder is always illegal. That's why you will always get arrested for doing it. All infiltrator actions are illegal. Pass all the realm laws you want, you will still get arrested for it.

On top of that, the risk of being caught, and getting tossed in prison for doing something like that is a game balance issue. It's a risk-reward trade of you have to make.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: October 21, 2012, 06:27:39 AM »
Went Infiltrator, hung out for a few months training to get Infil to ~65%, then the exact turn I entered enemy space I was picked up by patrols.

I got a fame point same turn but I'm fairly sure it came from someplace else.
When Thalmarkans walked through the Sint land, castles went up for sale.

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: October 21, 2012, 06:32:12 AM »
Went Infiltrator, hung out for a few months training to get Infil to ~65%, then the exact turn I entered enemy space I was picked up by patrols.

I got a fame point same turn but I'm fairly sure it came from someplace else.

Patience is a virtue.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

mikm

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: October 21, 2012, 11:31:50 AM »
Beating up a defenseless adventurer is kind of like murder. Pluss, you can own a unit as infiltrator and beat up adventurers the old fashion way.