Author Topic: Getting Honour and Prestige as a priest  (Read 15182 times)

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Getting Honour and Prestige as a priest
« Reply #15: January 24, 2012, 01:19:06 PM »
... no reason why you can't flip to courtier or warrior class before heading back to priest

.. afterall, norman bishops and what not fight in wars...

of course... if you are the only priest....
firefox

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: January 24, 2012, 01:35:17 PM »
Priest is one of the first class other than warriors that is available. It makes sense for new players to think that picking that class will still allow them to play the game at its fullest. Of course you don't gain military prestige which would allow you to command more troops, which makes sense, but the prestige restrictions for titles were always meant to prevent extremely new characters to be propelled in command positions due to family name recognition or, worse, takeover by multis.

If it was actually the intention to prevent priests from becoming Lords, the text should be much clearer when you switch class. Something along the line of "While other nobles will admit your inclusion in conversation and show some respect to you due to respect for the divine, unless you have shown military prowess in the past you will be treated as no more than a commoner, with no action you take being worthy of increasing your honour or prestige in their eyes. By taking this path, you accept that you will never rise above the station you have achieved already."

Although I don't think that was the intention.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: January 24, 2012, 01:53:51 PM »
Priest is one of the first class other than warriors that is available. It makes sense for new players to think that picking that class will still allow them to play the game at its fullest. Of course you don't gain military prestige which would allow you to command more troops, which makes sense, but the prestige restrictions for titles were always meant to prevent extremely new characters to be propelled in command positions due to family name recognition or, worse, takeover by multis.

If it was actually the intention to prevent priests from becoming Lords, the text should be much clearer when you switch class. Something along the line of "While other nobles will admit your inclusion in conversation and show some respect to you due to respect for the divine, unless you have shown military prowess in the past you will be treated as no more than a commoner, with no action you take being worthy of increasing your honour or prestige in their eyes. By taking this path, you accept that you will never rise above the station you have achieved already."

Although I don't think that was the intention.

What kind of mad religion is promoting nobles that aren't of exemplary honour and prestige to the point where they can BECOME priest anyway?
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: January 24, 2012, 01:57:49 PM »
What kind of mad religion is promoting nobles that aren't of exemplary honour and prestige to the point where they can BECOME priest anyway?

I've never even ran into that restriction. Is it full members only?

Aldwoni

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: January 24, 2012, 02:50:50 PM »
I'm the leader of a religion so switching isn't a logical option.
Wouldn't it more logical that priests only can become lord of a region with enough followers of their religion.
Or in a theocracy?

instead limiting it to honor and prestige.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: January 24, 2012, 02:59:02 PM »
why? your king (or duke even) places you over those heretics and expect you to convert those heretics and make use of the land as his contribution to the church.
firefox

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: January 24, 2012, 03:30:03 PM »
...unless you have shown military prowess in the past you will be treated as no more than a commoner, with no action you take being worthy of increasing your honour or prestige in their eyes. By taking this path, you accept that you will never rise above the station you have achieved already.
You're taking this to an absurdly ridiculous extreme.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 03:32:05 PM by Indirik »
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: January 24, 2012, 03:31:55 PM »
The only religious requirement for becoming a priest is that you are a full member of the religion. I don't know of any religion that will not make you a full member simply for the asking. Nor have I ever seen any religion put any kind of honor/prestige limits on being promoted to full membership.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: January 24, 2012, 04:48:50 PM »
You're taking this to an absurdly ridiculous extreme.

To be honest, I only based my opinion on what I saw in game. I now see that the wiki says

Playing a priest is not like playing any of the other classes, except maybe the infiltrator or Adventurer.

Which, come to think of it, is kind of what I was saying.

I've updated the "Priest Game" wiki page a bit.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: January 24, 2012, 05:06:19 PM »
well the infil bit is clearly out of date. meant to mean "others" as in travel with a load of troops and fight
firefox

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: January 24, 2012, 05:07:36 PM »
well the infil bit is clearly out of date. meant to mean "others" as in travel with a load of troops and fight

It remains true in that infils cannot gain H/P through infil actions, although since they can lead troops now this matters much less.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: January 24, 2012, 05:55:07 PM »
eh.. that's irrelevant.. because advys gain h/p from doing advy stuff... so that line wasn't about h/p.. but how the class plays.
firefox

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #27: January 24, 2012, 11:34:38 PM »
Valid point.  If Advies gain honor and prestige, why don't priests?

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: January 25, 2012, 01:11:09 AM »
The only religious requirement for becoming a priest is that you are a full member of the religion. I don't know of any religion that will not make you a full member simply for the asking. Nor have I ever seen any religion put any kind of honor/prestige limits on being promoted to full membership.

Yes you are right, for some reason I was convinced you had to be an elder to become a priest. Probably because my priest characters have always been elders.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: January 25, 2012, 06:49:01 AM »
Yes you are right, for some reason I was convinced you had to be an elder to become a priest. Probably because my priest characters have always been elders.

Religions have to have a certain percentage of Priests on the Elder Council to keep from falling apart.  That has, in practice, led to almost all Priests immediately getting made into Elders.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"