Author Topic: Bugs  (Read 8927 times)

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Bugs
« Topic Start: November 12, 2012, 10:09:03 AM »
BattleMaster is a game in which many mechanics are shrouded or hidden. Often some options are available to a player only under a very specific set of circumstances. Additionally, these circumstances are often not fully disclosed in order to help make the game fun and realistic. There is a downside to this as well.

In the last week or two, two different realms on Dwilight have had their last duchy switch over to another realm. When the first occasion occurred, it was determined that the player had Social Contract (Do not exploit bugs to gain in-game advantages. Bring them to the attention of the dev team so we can fix them. If you are not sure if something that seems odd is a bug or not, ask.). Correct me if I am wrong. Just now this has happened again. In both places the players never suspected that this might be a bug.

The point is that enforcing this rule of the Social Contract is difficult as tthe way BM works makes it challenging for a player to determine if an option being present is a bug or not. One could use the argument that common sense should prevail. I feel, however, that what is common sense to one might not seem as such to another. One could also say that players should know about these things as they have been posted to the forums and bug tracker. I feel that this is not enough. How many players actively read ALL bug reports and ALL forum posts. How many players only visit the game and wiki?

It seems to me that, in order to enforce this rule properly some kind of notification system should be in place. Once an exploitable bug is discovered and confirmed, a notice could be sent to all players in game alerting them of the bug and the consequences for exploiting it. Or some other measure to communicate the issue could be used.

Without such a mechanism two things will happen. One, multiple people will exploit the same but without even realizing it was a bug exploit and thus diminishing the fun of others. Two, people will be punished for exploiting a bug that they had no reasonable way of knowing about. Both are bad in my view.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Bugs
« Reply #1: November 12, 2012, 06:11:54 PM »
Neither an in-game notice nor a forum posting do any good in these cases. That is why we have a permanent information storage at the wiki, where this page:

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Rules_and_Policies

that contains the realm merger rule, is linked from the front page.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #2: November 13, 2012, 08:31:50 AM »
Neither an in-game notice nor a forum posting do any good in these cases. That is why we have a permanent information storage at the wiki, where this page:

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Rules_and_Policies

that contains the realm merger rule, is linked from the front page.

The realm merger rule only applies if there is a friendly merger though. The last two haven't been friendly.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: November 13, 2012, 01:00:09 PM »
The realm merger rule only applies if there is a friendly merger though. The last two haven't been friendly.

I didn't see any war between the two. All lords and dukes appear to have kept their titles.

It may have been done by bypassing the ruler, but it certainly wasn't hostile.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #4: November 13, 2012, 01:02:46 PM »
I didn't see any war between the two. All lords and dukes appear to have kept their titles.

It may have been done by bypassing the ruler, but it certainly wasn't hostile.

Lack of war does not mean lack of conflict. By bypassing the ruler, you have by definition done something that wasn't friendly at all in regards to one of the realms.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: November 13, 2012, 01:11:51 PM »
Lack of war does not mean lack of conflict. By bypassing the ruler, you have by definition done something that wasn't friendly at all in regards to one of the realms.

I disagree. There was no violence. Not a drop of blood was spilled. The realm's entire hierarchy remained intact, replacing only the ruler (who could have been protested out or rebelled against, which would have been much more conflictual). In both cases, the annexing realm had done absolutely nothing to instigate the merger. They didn't demand it. They made no threats for it.

All of Kabrinskia remains intact as a duchy, save for its government positions that were abolished.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: November 13, 2012, 01:33:29 PM »
It is arguments like this that are exactly the reason it should never be down to whether or not the merger was "friendly:" it should simply be impossible in the first place.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #7: November 13, 2012, 03:13:09 PM »
It is arguments like this that are exactly the reason it should never be down to whether or not the merger was "friendly:" it should simply be impossible in the first place.

That I will agree with.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: November 14, 2012, 12:04:03 AM »
That I will agree with.

As do I.

As I've said many times already, I think it's a bad rule, a band-aid solution to flawed design.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: November 14, 2012, 01:13:23 AM »
It is not, and has never been, intended for destroying a realm to be something that one person can do with one mouse click when the realm is thriving with a dozen or more regions.

I'm sorry if you dislike that design decision, but that is the way it's supposed to be, and until a very short time ago, that's how it was. And soon, that's how it will be once again.

If you want the Duke of the capital duchy—or simply the Duke of the only duchy—to have more game-mechanic power, then start brainstorming for other buttons for them to be able to click, because this one is not going to stick around, no matter how much people whine about it.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: November 14, 2012, 01:25:21 AM »
It is not, and has never been, intended for destroying a realm to be something that one person can do with one mouse click when the realm is thriving with a dozen or more regions.

I'm sorry if you dislike that design decision, but that is the way it's supposed to be, and until a very short time ago, that's how it was. And soon, that's how it will be once again.

If you want the Duke of the capital duchy—or simply the Duke of the only duchy—to have more game-mechanic power, then start brainstorming for other buttons for them to be able to click, because this one is not going to stick around, no matter how much people whine about it.

Make him unbannable, like royals.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: November 14, 2012, 01:25:51 AM »
Make him unbannable, like royals.

You know where feature requests go.
Timothy Collett

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: November 15, 2012, 09:12:27 PM »
I don't think the problem is educating the players on all existing bugs, an unreasonable and nigh impossible task. I think the problem is applying unreasonable standards to players. Players should not be expected to follow the forum nor to know without asking what the intended design of the game is. IMO, it should require a high standard to state that a particular bug was "obvious" enough to justify punishment under the Social Contract.

egamma

« Reply #13: November 16, 2012, 01:10:57 AM »
I don't think the problem is educating the players on all existing bugs, an unreasonable and nigh impossible task. I think the problem is applying unreasonable standards to players. Players should not be expected to follow the forum nor to know without asking what the intended design of the game is. IMO, it should require a high standard to state that a particular bug was "obvious" enough to justify punishment under the Social Contract.

Allison is guilty of violating the "no friendly realm mergers" rule, which all players are expected to read and understand.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: November 16, 2012, 03:05:27 AM »
Allison is guilty of violating the "no friendly realm mergers" rule, which all players are expected to read and understand.
Where does it officially state this? I am not saying its not true, I would merely like to know where that is officially stated.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton