Author Topic: Great PvP rivalries in BattleMaster  (Read 25735 times)

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Great PvP rivalries in BattleMaster
« Topic Start: November 19, 2012, 02:02:19 PM »
So as I log in this morning, I noticed that a Kabrinski and Himoura stabbed each other in a duel on BT while a Kabrinski and Himoura are engaged in a huge political slap fight on Dwilight. Letters were even leaked where the Dwilight characters are referencing the BT characters. That's a serious rivalry, and it got me thinking about other PvP pairs (or triplets!) that have endured through the years.

Nominations? Try to provide some brief background for people who may be newer or haven't played with them.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
Re: Great PvP rivalries in BattleMaster
« Reply #1: November 19, 2012, 02:05:17 PM »
Stabbity stab stab. :)
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #2: November 19, 2012, 06:16:18 PM »
You won't find that with me... I treat each character of mine as completely separate, and try not to get one involved with the other, even if both are on the same continent.

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: November 19, 2012, 06:39:11 PM »
Davis Versus Dobromir or the Menthils VS the Nosferatus.
Not that all my characters are aware of it or care, but atleast the menthils hate everything thats called Nosferatus or looks like it.

Then perhaps the bigest rivalry is between any family paris set up and all other families... :P
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: November 19, 2012, 06:45:35 PM »
You won't find that with me... I treat each character of mine as completely separate, and try not to get one involved with the other, even if both are on the same continent.

I tend to dislike it when people try to overcompensate by doing that. I mean, they're family, and family  sticks together. Blood is thicker than water, especially blue blood.
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: November 19, 2012, 06:56:59 PM »
Blood is thicker than water, especially blue blood.

Not int he middle ages it ain't. Henry II spent much of his reign fighting his children (and his wife) and this was not atypical.

Your family members were your natural rivals because the fewer of them you had, the more likely you were to inherit something of value. 

At Crecy the Black Prince, at all of sixteen years old, held the center of the English line all day long. Edward III watched from a hill. When asked if he wanted to send help to his son and heir, he said "let the boy prove himself a true knight and win his spurs." And they liked each other.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: November 19, 2012, 07:00:20 PM »
Not int he middle ages it ain't.

Yes, it is.

Sure, there are counterexamples. But that doesn't mean that every noble in the middle ages hated their family and wanted nothing more than to get rid of them.

The point is, it's perfectly legitimate to play your family as a relatively close-knit one, where an insult to one is considered an insult to all. It's also perfectly legitimate to play them as more distant relations, who don't care much about what the other family members do.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #7: November 19, 2012, 07:31:53 PM »
While families may play games of politics and intrigue with one another, even assassinating other family members to rise in social standing, that's exactly it:  A family affair.

When outsiders tended to mess with family, the House took notice.

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: November 19, 2012, 07:50:41 PM »
Yes, it is.

I'm sorry, but you are very much mistaken.

The point is, it's perfectly legitimate to play your family as a relatively close-knit one, where an insult to one is considered an insult to all. It's also perfectly legitimate to play them as more distant relations, who don't care much about what the other family members do.

It may be legitimate but it is not historically accurate. No, of course not 'all' families were calculating and self-centered, but the great majority of them had to be. Tuchman talks about this in "A Distant Mirror." Kids spent very little time with their family until their were about 7 or 8. They were very rarely raised by their parents, who also knew next to nothing about raising children. There were books for women on things like managing your husband's estate, how to run things while under siege, and tenure law, but not on childrearing, childbirth, or anything that you might imagine could actually create bonds between a family.  Peasants did that. Nobles had to fight and rule.

A 'close-knit' medieval nobles family pretty much required a set of circumstances that led to no possible conflict between them. But even if you had two fiefdoms of exactly the same size and value and both of your sons inherited one of them, you also had to have unusually non-ambitious sons, particularly in the eldest son, who may have heard of how some places give everything to the eldest son and why aren't we civilized like that? Most of the great conflicts from the Dark ages until the Renaissance were intra-family in some way, with the major exception of the Crusades having come about because Pope Urban II saw Europe being crushed under the weight of its own family squabbles and needed to both trump them with a bigger enemy while also offering an avenue to forgive the sins of anybody who had already gone about disposing of inconvenient relatives.

Of course it's possible that some family feud would trump internal family politics, but even then you'd be just as likely to see one side of the family double-dealing with the object of the feud. Relatives working against somebody who "messed with the house" could easily happen but absolutely not because "blood is thicker than water." That sentiment suggests personal bonds and affection; fighting someone who is trying to bring down your house is protecting your own interests with some natural allies. We would find your average medieval noble to be extremely cold. Finding exceptions to this is like finding a marriage that wasn't arranged. Did it happen? Sure, but hardly ever.

Whether that matters to you in BM is another question.

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: November 20, 2012, 12:30:08 AM »
Aaaand back on track.

I'm going to throw out Capet v. D`Este, Capet v. Anaris, Capet v. Pretty Much Every Ruler in Luria at Some Point.

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: November 20, 2012, 01:22:38 AM »
In reference to Solari characters :P

On Colonies island, Ash Ketchum and May Ketchum against Remi Solari due to different priests religions, followers conflict and whatnot.

But somehow on EC island, Brock Ketchum are Vice Marshal of the Army where Imminent Solari is a Marshal. And they both working together just fine :)

Scarlett, are you by any chance having a character named Scarlett Greenleaf? I have been looking for this character for ages ::)
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: November 20, 2012, 01:43:20 AM »
Scarlett, are you by any chance having a character named Scarlett Greenleaf? I have been looking for this character for ages ::)
I believe Scarlett is of the family Scarlett, not the player. You likely haven't encountered the family as he is on Atamara, Far East, and Dwilight, none of which I believe you are on.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: November 20, 2012, 07:16:40 AM »
I believe Scarlett is of the family Scarlett, not the player. You likely haven't encountered the family as he is on Atamara, Far East, and Dwilight, none of which I believe you are on.
Aw man... I on Atamara but not really long time enough to know it. Oh well :-[

Khain Dragonborn and his Utopia clan vs Ash Ketchum/May Ketchum, Spearhead, Montechristo Aroo and the oldies players of Oritolon realm on Colonies island

The grudge? Well, the backstabbing unruly Oritolon internal politics. Which caused Khain to rebel unsuccessfully. He did protest all government members out of office successfully. And his rogue gang members all ended up harassing Oritolon borders from those rogue regions.
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Zakilevo

« Reply #13: November 20, 2012, 08:10:18 AM »
I don't have any rivals... damn I wish I had one :o

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: November 20, 2012, 05:45:31 PM »
But somehow on EC island, Brock Ketchum are Vice Marshal of the Army where Imminent Solari is a Marshal. And they both working together just fine :)

I don't have a character on EC!