Author Topic: Acronyms  (Read 6914 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Acronyms
« Reply #15: November 27, 2012, 05:19:03 PM »
*points to the link from vongenf up above* seems you ignored that extensive list.

Those are not, by and large, the same kind of abbreviations.

Acronyms aren't just shortened words that you can still pronounce (like "Fel Rec" for "Felicis Recordationis"), they're a set of initials that, when put together, are pronounced as if they were a word. Like Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome, aka SARS. (Pronounced like "Stars" without the "t".) Or, as I mentioned before, the " Uniting (and) Strengthening America (by) Providing Appropriate Tools Required (to) Intercept (and) Obstruct Terrorism Act", which becomes the "USA PATRIOT Act", most commonly referred to simply as the Patriot Act.

These simply cannot be compared to the items on the list von Genf posted. From my skimming of it, those were pretty much exclusively written abbreviations—one whole section was abbreviations found on gravestones (or, well, catacomb inscriptions, but close enough), for Cthulhu's sake; those aren't shortened for ease of referring to something, they're shortened because the stonecarver just doesn't have that much space to work with!

And though there are a very few sets of initials in the list that could be read as acronyms if one chose (such as "SID" for "Spiritus In Deo", or "DOM" for "Deo Optimo Maximo"), I doubt very strongly that they ever were spoken aloud in such a manner as a matter of course.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan