Author Topic: Southern War of Nobility (Civil war in Madina)  (Read 278187 times)

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: Civil war in Madina
« Reply #435: September 24, 2011, 06:11:18 PM »
Recruit as much as possible. Do not worry about payments because most of the soldiers will die during the siege? Perhaps financed with investments and requesting family gold?

Just imagine 31 people asking for family funds, that raises an additional 3.100 gold. Of course, that doesn't sound likely. But I am willing to believe that there is a strong core group who is willing to invest heavily in this war.

:-X Also, why would Aurvandilian player tell Madinan players how they manage to wield such an impressive army. You know they will use it against you.
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar

Phellan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #436: September 24, 2011, 06:16:25 PM »
Remember that smaller realms have cheaper recruitment costs.   I don't know the exact progression, but I do know that as the size of your realm increases, so does the cost of recruiting men.   A 50   50/50   infantry center in Morek would cost more than the exact same infantry center in  Auvrandil.

A smaller realm can run a significantly higher tax rate as well.  I don't know if that would be reflected on the income graph or not...    I don't think there has been a significant battle for a while either.  They have had a lot of time to build that army.  They won't be able to rebuild their army to that size without a fair amount of time.

Exactly.   So they can recruit more for less, and they have their significantly higher tax rate.   If that's all that's going on, it is VERY impressive - and I've never seen such a good push from a small realm.  C'Thonia wasn't able to field that much - but they did not have half as many nobles.

And no, it does not effect their chart from what some of the dev's have said - it's an "estimate", so high taxes would provide them a lot more gold than they appear to get - which I suspect is at least a good portion of their extra funds.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #437: September 24, 2011, 07:57:39 PM »
I would like to know that too. No matter how I run the numbers, I just don't understand where they got 2,000 men. I mean, that's about 6% of the population of their realm.... equivalent deployment would be like if Madina deployed 4,000 men.

It took them about a month go from 8k CS to 20k CS. My guess is it will take them a little while to get back into that neighborhood, but then I suspect that Aurvandil will probably confound everyone's expectations, in this regard and many others. However, I don't see what you're so surprised about. The nobles currently in Aurvandil have a long and storied history of turning tiny, underfunded realms into military powerhouses against all odds. What they have done now is no more surprising than what they achieved in Thulsoma and then Averoth after that, perhaps less so since they have considerably more resources this time than they've ever had before. In point of fact I am entirely unsurprised by this turn of events. If you had ever had to deal with the Saxons directly in game, you wouldn't be surprised either.

I wish Madina good luck; may you have as much joy in dealing with these delightful characters as I have over the years.

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #438: September 24, 2011, 09:06:12 PM »
How many of the Saxons ended up in Auvrandil?  They are quite tenacious! 
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #439: September 24, 2011, 09:22:35 PM »
Quite a few Saxons, not sure what the count is though. And it's pretty hilarious Madina has to call of Fissoa for help; we all had a laugh over that.

Great battle in Tower Fatmilak, we'll be back soon for more shenanigans!  :D
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #440: September 24, 2011, 10:31:25 PM »
How many of the Saxons ended up in Auvrandil?  They are quite tenacious!

Pretty much all of them... Vanimedle', Guile, Amalric, Metisette, Brythonic, Lyirchstars, Lundstrom II, Armityle, Principe, Lurdigala, Sutherland, and Blint are all there, all in all about a third of their nobility are actually Saxons straight from Thulsoma. I would also suspect that a number of the brand new families there, as well as some of the Averothian families, are part of the same group, just without the IC history. My guess is that at least half the realm is part of the group that turned Thulsoma and Averoth into fortress states. Congratulations Madina! You've won the best-enemies-ever sweepstakes. And it couldn't have happened to a nicer group of people!  ;)

Seriously, the Saxons make great enemies, I'll give them that much. No one talks trash like they do, or has better propaganda, and you can hardly call them pushovers. They were always badly outmatched by the combined might of the SA realms in the North, but they certainly gave us a lot of trouble. I will be very interested to see how they do with less enemies and more resources, and very interested to see how the Maroccidens as a whole reacts to them. Let the South feel the fury of the Saxons' scorn!  ;D

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #441: September 24, 2011, 11:06:29 PM »
With all that food we have to import, I don't expect anyone in D'Hara is financing anyone. Well, except by food sales, of course, which we do with both Aurvandil and Madina at the same price.

Barca? Where would they get the gold for that...
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Phellan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #442: September 25, 2011, 01:59:19 AM »
Pretty much all of them... Vanimedle', Guile, Amalric, Metisette, Brythonic, Lyirchstars, Lundstrom II, Armityle, Principe, Lurdigala, Sutherland, and Blint are all there,

That list pretty much put together our list of people who have "up and left" Madina right after a battle, then claimed Aurvandil was clearly the only choice and Madina was useless.

All without any actual character RP or interaction with the Realm.  Just quiet for weeks than, "Oh hey, everyone should defect to Aurvandil like I am because they are better".

IC stuff - Hyperion and the like is cool and entertaining for the most part.   Someone who never utters a word, than writes a lengthy IC claim about how great it is to defect to Aurvandil and encourages everyone else to do the same  as pretty much their only message ever to the Realm?    Suspicious :P

Good battles all around so far, but I might crack down on Nathan :P  I need Halicos's gold - and Chenier knows how hard it is to pry ANYTHING from that guys grip.  It's like pulling teeth, except Halicos ends up convincing you to pull your own . . .

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #443: September 25, 2011, 02:32:03 AM »
Good battles all around so far, but I might crack down on Nathan :P  I need Halicos's gold - and Chenier knows how hard it is to pry ANYTHING from that guys grip.  It's like pulling teeth, except Halicos ends up convincing you to pull your own . . .

Everyone keeps talking about Halicos, but I honestly can never remember who that is. Food has a region of origin, which is about all I pay attention to. Knowing which realm that region belongs to is a plus, but not necessary.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Phellan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #444: September 25, 2011, 03:10:49 AM »
Everyone keeps talking about Halicos, but I honestly can never remember who that is.

He's the one who insists on selling at 50gp to you :)

Heck, I had to negotiate him down to sell food to Madina, because he'd rather sell to you than to our own city ;)

He's a greedy ol' coot.  He'd buy every drop of food in Madina for 35gp and sell it to D'Hara for 50gp if he could :P

egamma

« Reply #445: September 25, 2011, 05:30:14 AM »
Everyone keeps talking about Halicos, but I honestly can never remember who that is. Food has a region of origin, which is about all I pay attention to. Knowing which realm that region belongs to is a plus, but not necessary.

Halicos Stalker, Baron of Fatimak.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #446: September 25, 2011, 07:39:24 AM »
Halicos Stalker, Baron of Fatimak.

Ah, Fatmilak.

What's the big deal with Fatmilak? Most of my madinians import don't transit by Fatmilak's warehouses. A good chunk does, I believe, but not most of it. Not to mention that I've had more caravans than before leave from foreign regions to sell directly to me lately.

Phellan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #447: September 25, 2011, 08:55:41 AM »
Ah, Fatmilak.

What's the big deal with Fatmilak? Most of my madinians import don't transit by Fatmilak's warehouses. A good chunk does, I believe, but not most of it. Not to mention that I've had more caravans than before leave from foreign regions to sell directly to me lately.

Halicos pretty much sets our foreign sales prices - so any of the complaints about us being expensive. . .blame Halicos :D  He wont even sell in Madina for less than 45gp.   And they do produce HUGE surpluses of food, probably our top food production region.

And I think you've made a good name for purchasing food ;)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #448: September 25, 2011, 09:29:13 AM »
Halicos pretty much sets our foreign sales prices - so any of the complaints about us being expensive. . .blame Halicos :D  He wont even sell in Madina for less than 45gp.   And they do produce HUGE surpluses of food, probably our top food production region.

And I think you've made a good name for purchasing food ;)

Markets have been open for quite some time. Maybe I should stop by and remind every lord that he can send caravans to Paisly directly? It's always nice to have others assume the risks of caravans and deliver the food themselves.

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #449: September 25, 2011, 11:51:34 AM »
Markets have been open for quite some time. Maybe I should stop by and remind every lord that he can send caravans to Paisly directly? It's always nice to have others assume the risks of caravans and deliver the food themselves.

The more souls, the merrier!
Madinas will always value any visit.
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog