Author Topic: Southern War of Nobility (Civil war in Madina)  (Read 287201 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Civil war in Madina
« Reply #645: October 19, 2011, 12:54:16 AM »
Who can use the food.

But don't really need it, and can shop elsewhere easily to get good prices.

And I'm gambling that they won't buy food at 50 gold per 100.

Edit: As a matter of fact, the Lurias as a whole, once they reach full production in their regions, would likely produce a surplus of up to three times D'Hara's deficit if they fix their monster issues, or otherwise at least 1.5 times. Just goes to show that if the Lurians want some spare bushels now to be on the safe side in case of bad harvests and unmanageable hordes, they will continue being net producers.

Edit2: In fact, I calculate that the Lurias' surplus (both of them combined) will be greater than Madina's.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 01:45:04 AM by Chénier »
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #646: October 19, 2011, 01:43:30 AM »
You assume Luria isn't planning on expanding to areas that have poor food production as soon as possible.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #647: October 19, 2011, 01:47:15 AM »
You assume Luria isn't planning on expanding to areas that have poor food production as soon as possible.

Except for the mountains, you got nothing but a bunch of rurals around you. And even mountains produce a surplus in food in almost all cases I've seen, abeit a very small one.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

egamma

« Reply #648: October 19, 2011, 01:58:57 AM »
Except for the mountains, you got nothing but a bunch of rurals around you. And even mountains produce a surplus in food in almost all cases I've seen, abeit a very small one.

Some of the Balance mountains have food production in the single digits.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #649: October 19, 2011, 02:08:31 AM »

I'm 99% sure the Divide Mountains don't produce a surplus.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #650: October 19, 2011, 02:18:04 AM »

South Divide, for example, wouldn't even need a food production with 2 digits to make a surplus. That's kinda what happens when you only have 350 as a max pop count. All of those regions I bothered to calculate will make surpluses.

The only things that might create deficits, other than cities, are maybe badlands. I don't have access to the food output of those to calculate, though.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #651: October 19, 2011, 02:20:16 AM »
Some of the Balance mountains have food production in the single digits.
And correspondingly tiny populations. Remember that it only take 1 bushel to feed 500 peasants for a day. A region that produces 7 bushels can keep 500 people fed.

I'm almost positive that every region other than a full fledged city can support itself.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #652: October 19, 2011, 02:27:47 AM »
And correspondingly tiny populations. Remember that it only take 1 bushel to feed 500 peasants for a day. A region that produces 7 bushels can keep 500 people fed.
I'm almost positive that every region other than a full fledged city can support itself.

Indeed, now that I think it over, even the deserts must have surpluses because of how tiny their population count is.

egamma

« Reply #653: October 19, 2011, 02:50:26 AM »
Indeed, now that I think it over, even the deserts must have surpluses because of how tiny their population count is.

The point I was trying to make is that those regions don't have enough food to bother trading with.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #654: October 19, 2011, 02:52:52 AM »

Assuming you lose absolutely nothing to hordes, which is impossible.  The normal loss you'll sustain from having a horde form and the immediate food eating is catastrophic at such low food levels.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #655: October 19, 2011, 02:57:37 AM »
The point I was trying to make is that those regions don't have enough food to bother trading with.

Still, these regions won't drain Lurias' demands, but slightly increase it.

Assuming you lose absolutely nothing to hordes, which is impossible.  The normal loss you'll sustain from having a horde form and the immediate food eating is catastrophic at such low food levels.

Indeed, but the Lurias' potential surplus is enough to deal with all but the most serious of disasters.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #656: October 19, 2011, 02:58:59 AM »
Indeed, but the Lurias' potential surplus is enough to deal with all but the most serious of disasters.

In the Divide Mountains alone, sure.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #657: October 19, 2011, 03:10:13 AM »
In the Divide Mountains alone, sure.

In all of it, once population in the rurals is high enough to grant the potential of 100% production. I don't have your total potential population calculated (though I calculated as if Giask had already reached its full potential by adding 50000 peasants to current pop), but even with pessimistic production level projections I obtain a safe surplus. The problem is mostly if big hordes interrupt your food transfers and eat a ton of food in a bunch of regions right before winter.

Phellan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #658: October 19, 2011, 04:56:20 AM »
Who can use the food.

I'm more than happy to sell copious amounts to Giask.  :)   Especially if we can use it to firm up relations between them and Fissoa.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #659: October 19, 2011, 08:00:57 AM »
In all of it, once population in the rurals is high enough to grant the potential of 100% production. I don't have your total potential population calculated (though I calculated as if Giask had already reached its full potential by adding 50000 peasants to current pop), but even with pessimistic production level projections I obtain a safe surplus. The problem is mostly if big hordes interrupt your food transfers and eat a ton of food in a bunch of regions right before winter.

And what happens to your calculations if you add the Flow Peninsula?