Author Topic: Southern War of Nobility (Civil war in Madina)  (Read 275122 times)

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
Re: Civil war in Madina
« Reply #60: June 21, 2011, 09:47:57 PM »
You don't get to just declare war on our church, say bad stuff and expect it to go back to status-quo by saying  "oops, we didn't mean it"

Did Florence declare war against the 'church'?
You also know she appointed all the libero rebels to lord positions in candiels, let it seceed and joined them imediantly?
You also know that in Madina even war declarations can be made by every single landowner, the Grand dodge just opens the window for there is no game mechanics for that yet?
And also, Madina is weird, don't always take them serious as a realm, there just a bunch of liberals competing with each other :P

In this case, we're making peaceful attempts with Morek cause the player of von Genf actually did quite well, and managed to impress Abbot and by proxy Vallyn.   Also it turns out there may be a few nobles who sympathize with SA and kept their mouths shut when the others were around.

Throw in Madina being threatened by Barca, Terran, D'Hara, Aurvandil, and Fissoa. . .and well.   We might have a few positions in our roster of friends opening up :)

We still don't like Allison ;)   But with von Genf's actions we can discount Allison as being a one off - and that SA is better represented by von Genf and others.

We wouldn't be taking this step, but Morek contacted us, and sent us an Ambassador looking for peace.  Vallyn might like war, but he knows full well marching past Paisly with an army is foolish. (700 miles from the Capital?   ugh, morale just plummets after that).

Madinas are shocked for life after those diplomatic treats, the unity in the south can be trown out of the window now, or atleast for Madina.
Its not a smart strategy of them if they seek to unite the south without destroying Madina.
And it seems they seek to unite the south WITH Madina.

Madina feels betrayed and probably will barley trust a southerner again.

Pierre came along and helped us greatly while our so called 'brothers' stood by and in numerous occasions sucsesful evaded any possible help towards the republic after gladly accepting there help before.

Its a natural movement of Madina to shift its attention north in the search for friends.(where so lonely :P)
I think that is something all these nations would have seen coming from here recent actions.

So how is this conflict going? Aurvandil is still standing, despite Nosferatus confident approach... Fissoa had one noble coming over from Aurvandil though, the beginning of the end?

It depends what you call standing.
If i support road kill by two branches so it appears standing up would you say the animal is standing?
I'd say it still looks like a bloody mess. :P
(and no, i have no particle experience with that, in case your wondering...)
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #61: June 21, 2011, 10:28:47 PM »

Yes, pretty much. Have you seen the charter for the League of Free Nations or whatever it's called? She also didn't pull any punches when she announced the war to the rulers of Dwilight - it was a little, ah, incendiary.

I'm sure SA will probably embrace Madina though, Allison not withstanding. The leadership of the Church is generally only too happy to accept converts, whatever their past attitudes, and opening up a whole new realm to SA would be seen as a major accomplishment, especially one so far to the south where we historically have almost no influence at all. It will also only help your cause to point out all those things you mentioned about Florence and Aurvandil IC  ;).

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62: June 21, 2011, 10:59:16 PM »
(...something about how it was everyone else's fault...)
Madina declared war, so Madina has to make good on it. The fact that it was "the previous ruler" isn't worth squat. Speaking in an IC sense, of course. Madina's ruler did not stand up and say "I, Florence Endellion, personally declare war on Sanguis Astroism. I am doing this all on my own, and the realm of Madina has nothing to do with it. It's all me, personally. I will fight them myself, without any backing from the Republic. It's just me. Honest." The ruler speaks for the realm, especially once the ruler goes to the diplomacy screen and clicks the War button. That's the game announces "Madina has declared war on Astrum!" and not "Florence Endellion has declared war against Astrum!"

You can try to claim anything you want. But don't be surprised when not a single person outside Madina buys into it.

And don't forget: Game mechanics *always* trump RP. No matter what RP line you write, and how you try to finagle things, if the game says it happened, then that's how it happened.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Phellan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #63: June 22, 2011, 03:19:15 AM »
Actually, we're going under the idea that both the Dukes, the Lord Admiral, Lord Purser, and Grand Doge all endorsed the war - however, they're all now part of Aurvandil.

Sure our Realm declared war, but those in charge are now at war with Madina :)   And we have a new rulership who is more than willing to seek peace.   Especially given that it was Morek who sought peace with us - they offered the olive branch, I'm just gladly leading us in the direction of peace with the North.

Given the words so far looks like Madina might have a few lords ready to convert already - i'm sure SA is getting amused by this.   Allison, not so much :D 

Regardless, this has more to do with our need to focus on Aurvandil - we're not interested in war with them and we're more than happy to kill those who said we hate SA - heck, we'll even destroy their Realm if it makes SA happy ;)   Any excuse to wipe Aurvandil off the map. . .

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #64: June 22, 2011, 03:53:24 AM »
Throw in Madina being threatened by Barca, Terran, D'Hara, Aurvandil, and Fissoa. . .and well.   We might have a few positions in our roster of friends opening up :)

This could easily backfire if Madina makes itself look like a potential threat to Southern sovereignty.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Adriddae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #65: June 22, 2011, 03:54:59 AM »
If they convert, the stars will protect them.  ;)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #66: June 22, 2011, 03:55:26 AM »
If they convert, the stars will protect them.  ;)

The stars are far and busy.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #67: June 22, 2011, 04:37:41 AM »
An SA Madina would make internal Terran politics very, very interesting, as we kind of hate Madina by and large. But, if it was SA supported, then foreign policy would become much, much more political.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #68: June 22, 2011, 04:41:14 AM »
An SA Madina would make internal Terran politics very, very interesting, as we kind of hate Madina by and large. But, if it was SA supported, then foreign policy would become much, much more political.

Which would make it in others' interests to prevent such a thing from being allowed to happen in the first place.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #69: June 22, 2011, 05:03:19 AM »
Which would make it in others' interests to prevent such a thing from being allowed to happen in the first place.

Which is why things are so much easier in PeL, we can just ignore the rest of the continent and concentrate on our many internal factions with no real downside :) Well except for our constant need to try and provoke something with Fissoa.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #70: June 22, 2011, 06:04:54 AM »
The stars are far and busy.

True, for now. What Caerwyn did has changed a lot of things though. Don't be surprised to see the Church move away from its previous isolationism and become significantly more proactive in confronting those who work against it.

Phellan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #71: June 22, 2011, 04:57:28 PM »

An SA Madina is a long way off, but a Madina playing nice with SA?  That's more probable.

I'd rather not see us at war with every Realm if the Aurvandil peace talks fail.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #72: June 22, 2011, 05:17:00 PM »
Which is why things are so much easier in PeL, we can just ignore the rest of the continent and concentrate on our many internal factions with no real downside :) Well except for our constant need to try and provoke something with Fissoa.

Oh, that's easier than you may think. Phonos is more than capable of provoking trouble on his own. :P

Laurens88

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #73: June 22, 2011, 06:42:15 PM »
You also know she appointed all the libero rebels to lord positions in candiels, let it seceed and joined them imediantly?

Yeah, no planned plot there. That Sage let Madina city rebel and joined the rebels after that is also a coincidence. And people find it strange we from Madina want our city and lands back.....

egamma

« Reply #74: June 24, 2011, 10:24:03 AM »
Yeah, no planned plot there. That Sage let Madina city rebel and joined the rebels after that is also a coincidence. And people find it strange we from Madina want our city and lands back.....

I like how the rhetoric has changed from "Madina's other lords are refusing to sell food to Sage" to "Sage let the city rebel". Sage had a buy price of 75 gold per 100 bushels, it was the other nobles of Madina who wanted him gone for quite a long time.