Author Topic: Southern War of Nobility (Civil war in Madina)  (Read 275079 times)

vanKaya

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Civil war in Madina
« Reply #180: July 23, 2011, 11:46:53 PM »
I think the key is you weren't some prestigious duke that everyone knows. You were banned as a de facto traitor.

But please understand, I understand your reason and logic in having your guy demand being called lord due to a previous lordship, my Character thinks your character is missing a few screws.

But it's a moot point because frankly you can do as you please and really it adds to the rp so why not. I wouldn't do that but hell, worse things have been attempted.
Fyodor, Terran.   Vitaly, Enweil.

Laurens88

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #181: July 24, 2011, 11:01:55 AM »
he has been trusted to run very important military mission,

That had a more OOC activity reason but yeah IC they were important, how long until you get out of prison btw?

he has been (according to this thread) selected in the minds of the top nobility of the realm as being next in line to be either a lord or the next Duke, and yet...

You, next Duke? I can think of only 3 people in Madina who have or make a valid claim on a possible dukeship. But you, as a new man in Madina. What, who, how? LoL did I miss the imporant staff meeting last week?

Edit: I now read the part *(according to this thread)* ....*wink* *wink*
Edit2: I'm sometimes a dyslectic useless horse's ass or blind but I can't find it -_-'

« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 11:08:24 AM by Laurens88 »

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #182: July 24, 2011, 12:42:04 PM »
What, who, how?

Halicos was going to put him forward. He wants to keep his own knight in Fatmilak (sorry Corin :P) and everyone else already has a title. He'd much prefer Vallyn there as he's been a proven trading partner in the past, but he's Grand Doge so probably best to share the positions a little.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #183: July 24, 2011, 03:59:14 PM »
Halicos was going to put him forward. He wants to keep his own knight in Fatmilak (sorry Corin :P)

This, imo, is the worst part of estates, and I'm surprised nobody spoke of this open secret before.

It drives people in power to keep the people down the ladder where they are, as it gives them directly something to lose by having these people promoted.

I personally always have to repeat to myself that "it will make him a stronger ally than he is a servant" to remind myself that it's in my best interests to part with a knight (most of the time) to send him off for a promotion, but it *always* feels like I'm shooting myself in the foot. And I hate the feeling every time, I shouldn't feel penalized for helping knights get promotions...
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184: July 24, 2011, 04:46:17 PM »
Yes, I know what you mean. It can hurt to lose a knight, especially if you're already short. I try to not take that into consideration when promoting people. But I know that from time to time it probably does influence me.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #185: July 24, 2011, 05:14:02 PM »
You're presuming, of course, that he's being kept for the estates. In fact he's Halicos' personal trader. Try ordering a Duke to wander into Zuma lands with 300 bushels of food, I doubt that's going to go down well :P

Estate support isn't that big a deal. Fatmilak doesn't need much estate help and I've managed before with only Halicos. Might be a little harder now that Halicos gets only 5 hours a turn, but I'm sure it'd still be possible.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #186: July 24, 2011, 05:39:54 PM »
You're presuming, of course, that he's being kept for the estates.
I think we were more discussing the general case of promoting your own knights, rather than your specific situation.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #187: July 24, 2011, 10:43:56 PM »
I think we were more discussing the general case of promoting your own knights, rather than your specific situation.

Indeed.

Our trader was made a duke, btw, and I din't see any problems being created by that. Not yet at least. :P
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #188: July 24, 2011, 10:58:20 PM »

Ahh fair enough, quoting me threw me off :P

Our trader was made a duke, btw, and I din't see any problems being created by that. Not yet at least. :P

And he gladly takes orders from a Lord and walks into land where there are hundreds of Zuma?

With regards to promoting knights, I tend to believe that eventually a new one will come along. If not, then just poach one from someone else. So promotions are put forward where they're due. My characters have different thoughts on "where they're due" and I try not to let OOC things pollute those thoughts.

egamma

« Reply #189: July 24, 2011, 11:38:58 PM »
And he gladly takes orders from a Lord and walks into land where there are hundreds of Zuma?

Well, I was duke for about 3 days, but now I command a township. Who said anything about orders? Gornak's as greedy as they come. Besides, TMP hurts Gornak as well as the rest of the realm.

You are currently between Thysan (Woodland, Barca) and Eregon (Rural, (rogue)).
You should arrive there in about 10 hours.

Here's what's waiting for me:
(rogue)      60 men   60 men   950 CS (Undead)

321CS Infantry--me
135CS Cavalry-knight
500CS Mixed Infantry-knight

So, it'll be a close battle. Hopefully that other group of undead doesn't come back.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #190: July 25, 2011, 05:07:16 AM »
Ahh fair enough, quoting me threw me off :P

With regards to promoting knights, I tend to believe that eventually a new one will come along. If not, then just poach one from someone else. So promotions are put forward where they're due. My characters have different thoughts on "where they're due" and I try not to let OOC things pollute those thoughts.

If you get 1 noble per two months, and every other region in the realm is as desperate for knights as you are, and that promotions often means the annexation of a new region that will become yet another competitor for knights...

When there's no blood and I get to them first, I consider myself extremely lucky. Unless you play on AT or EC, maybe, they don't join often.

vanKaya

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #191: July 25, 2011, 10:26:21 AM »
Well, I was duke for about 3 days, but now I command a township. Who said anything about orders? Gornak's as greedy as they come. Besides, TMP hurts Gornak as well as the rest of the realm.

You are currently between Thysan (Woodland, Barca) and Eregon (Rural, (rogue)).
You should arrive there in about 10 hours.

Here's what's waiting for me:
(rogue)      60 men   60 men   950 CS (Undead)

321CS Infantry--me
135CS Cavalry-knight
500CS Mixed Infantry-knight

So, it'll be a close battle. Hopefully that other group of undead doesn't come back.

This is irrelevant cause that horde has moved on but, 950 v. 950?? Won't be a tight battle it'll be a defender/ rogue victory.. Or am I missing something? :o
Fyodor, Terran.   Vitaly, Enweil.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #192: July 25, 2011, 11:43:06 AM »
We just had this battle in Shinnen Purlieus:

Total:
2 attackers (21 other)
3 defenders (1 Inf, 17 Arch)
Total combat strengths: 1960 vs. 325

Luria Nova won. Eighteen men of which seventeen were archers behind a palisade took on twenty-one monsters, six times their strength, and won.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #193: July 25, 2011, 02:32:24 PM »
Yeah, think of monsters and undead as units with really high training, but low weapons stats and low organization/cohesion. They won't score many hits.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #194: July 25, 2011, 02:33:46 PM »
This is irrelevant cause that horde has moved on but, 950 v. 950?? Won't be a tight battle it'll be a defender/ rogue victory.. Or am I missing something? :o
Meh, they're undead. I'd expect to win an even battle against undead. Even when the undead outnumber you, they are much weaker than their CS would indicate.

Monster, on the other hand, are much tougher than their CS would lead you to believe.