Author Topic: Southern War of Nobility (Civil war in Madina)  (Read 275079 times)

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
Re: Civil war in Madina
« Reply #240: September 03, 2011, 02:14:41 PM »
Nobles increased after Tarajist left? :P

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #241: September 03, 2011, 04:12:40 PM »
Nobles increased after Tarajist left? :P

Over tripled :P

Some of those are Caerwynians, but we've only had a handful of them join us. It was quite odd though that as soon as Tarajist left, we started to get a steady rise in nobles. I think we changed the realm description and other new player info around that time, so that's probably more likely (at least, I think that was Madina who did that...) :P

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #242: September 03, 2011, 04:50:27 PM »
Well, I don't really dislike Tarajist - he's just annoying to my character. Let that be clear :) I don't think everybody should play nice characters :)

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #243: September 03, 2011, 05:04:57 PM »
Well, I don't really dislike Tarajist - he's just annoying to my character.

Definitely. Tarajist is played very well.

Looking at the map, I think Madina may have a very large upper hand now. Aurvandil can only expand into Evanburg, however I think that Barca would really like that region too. But Madina can expand into the Madinan isle and has the nobles to do it too. I think it's only a matter of time before the rebels are dead and New Caerywn takes its place. Leaving Madina without an enemy >.<

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #244: September 03, 2011, 05:17:26 PM »
You'll have plenty of neighbors. I'm sure one of them would like to pick a fight with you. And if not, just ask the Lurians, maybe they'll want to come down and punch you in the mouth a bit ;)

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #245: September 03, 2011, 06:06:39 PM »
Definitely. Tarajist is played very well.

Looking at the map, I think Madina may have a very large upper hand now. Aurvandil can only expand into Evanburg, however I think that Barca would really like that region too. But Madina can expand into the Madinan isle and has the nobles to do it too. I think it's only a matter of time before the rebels are dead and New Caerywn takes its place. Leaving Madina without an enemy >.<

Take it from me, there is *always* another enemy around the corner, possibly where you least expect it...

Carna

• Noble Lord
  • Not always sober
    • View Profile
« Reply #246: September 03, 2011, 10:47:40 PM »
http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Barca/Treaty_of_Evanburg

Not sure how good an idea that one is, but if Aurvandil loses I think Barca might want to take Evanburg fairly quickly if they don't want the new Caerwyn empire taking it.

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #247: September 03, 2011, 11:19:41 PM »

vanKaya

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #248: September 04, 2011, 12:07:53 AM »
Phhht it's not a matter of speed.

What is rightfully Barca's will be protected by the militaries of the entire federation. If the new "Caerwyn empire" wants to take it by force they will certainly have their work cut out for them. Even if they have aide from Madina.
Fyodor, Terran.   Vitaly, Enweil.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #249: September 04, 2011, 02:19:02 AM »
You mean... They spoke to someone? I think I need to lie down.

That was my thought exactly. When Barca told us Aurvandil was actually communicating, I almost had a heart attack.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #250: September 04, 2011, 06:06:45 PM »
That was my thought exactly. When Barca told us Aurvandil was actually communicating, I almost had a heart attack.

Same. They didn't even try to get military aid. I guess it's a good thing that they'll get crushed, as they likely did not have good intentions with the federation.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #251: September 04, 2011, 07:30:59 PM »
Same. They didn't even try to get military aid. I guess it's a good thing that they'll get crushed, as they likely did not have good intentions with the federation.

Don't be too confident; our defense of Barca is a de facto defense of Aurvandil from monsters, and they can build walls in Candiels. A fortified city with a defended backdoor and rising rural population can make an inferior power resist for quite a while. Aurvandil's population is increasing, and I presume productivity will match. With Evanburg, a big new gold source is added.

I would not be shocked if Madina crushes Aurvandil with all their new nobles. But neither would I be surprised to see Aurvandil fight for a very, very long time.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #252: September 04, 2011, 07:41:15 PM »
On the numbers...

Madina has gained 14 nobles from its "trough." Aurvandil has gained 9. That's an advantage to Madina... but it's not like Aurvandil is getting weaker. Both Aurvandil and Madina gained from Caerwyn's demise: Madina more maybe, but it might not be enough to tip the scales.

In CS, Madina bottomed at about 6400, Aurvandil at 2200... but they are currently both at 12000 CS. Pretty evenly matched.

While Madina has a big advantage in absolute food productivity, it's about equal in terms of ability to feed its population: both run big surpluses. Madina's better connection to foreign markets and larger surplus could be very useful for it... but I imagine the Duke of Paisly might find some willing sellers in the lords of Aurvandil, if they were personally contacted... maybe.

In terms of total income, Madina has a big advantage: but Aurvandil is catching up. Madina's new nobles will allow it to expand its income, but so will Aurvandil's. Madina's regions mostly have good population and infrastructure: Aurvandil is still developing. They have room for growth without expansion. While Madina certainly has more long-term growth potential, it will be a very long time before that equates to more military power, whereas Aurvandil's growth can translate into more military power pretty quickly. Plus, Aurvandil has demonstrated a better ability to leverage its wealth to full effectiveness (albeit with dubious ethics according to many reports). So they may not need to have equal income if they can manage it better (or maintain a defensive advantage on the walls). Then, for income per character, they're about even, though Aurvandil seems likely to rise as regions develop, and Madina seems likely to rise, but more slowly, as they expand.

In sum: Madina has gained something of an upper hand. But it's hardly over.

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #253: September 04, 2011, 07:56:34 PM »
On the numbers...

Hmm, that's interesting to know. Not as much as an advantage as I thought we had.

With regards to food, Madina has a buyer for most of its food and I don't think that income is shown in the statistics. You can presume that all of our surplus is bought for 35 gold (generally food sells at more, but a little is unsold from week to week and rots away).

On armies, Madina's current CS is quite far away from what it can be. A lot of the new nobles don't have units or are being rather conservative with their gold until we get them proper homes. The rebels seem to be using family gold, which is uncountable as it will regenerate below a certain amount and can be topped up from other characters.

As long as our food income is steady, I think Madina can close this war rather soonish.

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #254: September 05, 2011, 12:01:09 AM »
You mean... They spoke to someone? I think I need to lie down.
You might be surprised, but Julius and Mendicant communicate on a regular basis.
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar