Author Topic: Southern War of Nobility (Civil war in Madina)  (Read 275900 times)

egamma

Re: Civil war in Madina
« Reply #420: September 24, 2011, 06:50:27 AM »
Looks like Aurvrandil recruited large numbers of weak troops, while Madina had smaller numbers of elite troops, plus the walls.

A battle report from in-region would be great--I'm actually in summerdale at the moment.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #421: September 24, 2011, 07:21:26 AM »
Aurvandil's CS has been spiking lately. That's a lot of men for such a small realm!

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #422: September 24, 2011, 08:09:01 AM »
Aurvendils forces are not as good indeed, but still they reached about 19K CS with 2K men.
Yes there indeed 2k men from Aurvendil.
Which is still extremely puzzling.

In game everyone is almost certain that in secret it's the moot whos funding this, because they can't explain it other wise.

also just for the battle they also upgraded there stronghold to a fortress...

Battle report:
ID=170925  Hash=e98d060985962c5a
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 08:13:56 AM by Nosferatus »
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Phellan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #423: September 24, 2011, 08:14:36 AM »
For those interesting, OOC obviously.  And gotta love level 2 fortifications. . .

http://www.filefactory.com/file/ced932a/n/TowerFatmilakSept232011.htm

Phellan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #424: September 24, 2011, 08:22:58 AM »
Aurvendils forces are not as good indeed, but still they reached about 19K CS with 2K men.
Yes there indeed 2k men from Aurvendil.
Which is still extremely puzzling.

In game everyone is almost certain that in secret it's the moot whos funding this, because they can't explain it other wise.

also just for the battle they also upgraded there stronghold to a fortress...

Battle report:
ID=170925  Hash=e98d060985962c5a

I REALLY want to know OOC where they get the funds.   If it is just the differential tax bonus from the coding then it's a huge benefit, one that I'm pretty impressed by.   Also their units ARE pretty cheap. . .

IC, Vallyn's pretty convinced Barca is funneling funds, even if Terran and D'Hara don't know about it :P   Oh wait. . they gave them a gold producing region.  That's like giving them gold! :D  lol.

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #425: September 24, 2011, 08:23:51 AM »
ps, i wonder why they choose for archer opening knowing that there archers suck and madinan archers rule.

Also we should archive all messages sent by mendicant and the other one or two nobles thatare really great liers.
I liked there messages, how ridiculous they are :P
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 08:25:27 AM by Nosferatus »

Phellan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #426: September 24, 2011, 08:47:20 AM »
I'm not even sure I know what's true or not anymore when it comes to that part of the conversation :D

But, it's a lie!  But, it sounds. . .so. . .goooood.  Right! I'm not on their side!  DAMNIT.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #427: September 24, 2011, 09:00:38 AM »
Aurvandil just lost 10k CS. I guess Madina is striking back now, huh?
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #428: September 24, 2011, 09:12:15 AM »
For those interesting, OOC obviously.  And gotta love level 2 fortifications. . .

http://www.filefactory.com/file/ced932a/n/TowerFatmilakSept232011.htm

I appreciate that FileFactory is free and everything, but, wow, could they shove some more ads in?

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #429: September 24, 2011, 09:34:52 AM »
Also we should archive all messages sent by mendicant and the other one or two nobles thatare really great liers.
I liked there messages, how ridiculous they are :P
We can't give something we do not have, i.e. we do not have any gold (at least not much).

ps, i wonder why they choose for archer opening knowing that there archers suck and madinan archers rule.
Choosing for an archer opening was not a bad move, as they have 500 archers. But then position the infantry somewhere in the back, and give the archers more time to shoot.

Also, they had 1 siege engine for every 50 infantry. There the quantity of the infantry becomes a large issue.
My advise, recruit quality over quantity (but I assume all recruits availible in Candiels were recruited for the siege.), and try to have 1 siege engine for every 20 to 25 infantry.
However with the fortifications reduced to a palisade, the battle at sunset could be just as interesting.
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar

Phellan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #430: September 24, 2011, 09:40:54 AM »
Choosing for an archer opening was not a bad move, as they have 500 archers. But then position the infantry somewhere in the back, and give the archers more time to shoot.

However with the fortifications reduced to a palisade, the battle at sunset could be just as interesting.

I would disagree - Madina has excellent archers and had as many, if not more CS in archers.    If we had fewer Archers, such an opening would've been a good move.  Here not so much.

As for sunset - yes, that should be most interesting indeed.  I'm looking forward to it.

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #431: September 24, 2011, 10:00:33 AM »
I would disagree. Archers will not clime the walls, therefore just sacrafice them in order to do as much damage as possible, because you know they will die as well when Madina defeated the infantry and leaves the fortification to hunt the archers at the end of the battle.
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #432: September 24, 2011, 10:15:48 AM »
I'm not even sure I know what's true or not anymore when it comes to that part of the conversation :D

But, it's a lie!  But, it sounds. . .so. . .goooood.  Right! I'm not on their side!  DAMNIT.

Someone has a bad memory... :P

It's quite simple, Madina always has an open stance to foreigners as there is alot of land still to be claimed.
The more landowners, the stronger republic.
Both Langford, Florence and many others realized that.
Libero empire warned of several nobles that at that time wanted to migrate into madina.
They tried to take the realm in a violent rebellion and where banned from the north.
Florence and others agreed to full tolerance, grant them land and in return of such tolerance and good will from the republic, they'd be excellent additions to the realm.
The duchy of candies was without lords and with additional lands to be claimed north and north west.
These lands where granted to the Libero rebels.
Everything went fine apart from a few conflicts between fatmilak and candiels about prices that never was settled, there was a big cloud of apathy over the republic at that time.
Mostly claimed to be connected to Sages reign in Madina and perhaps the scars of paisly that just wouldn't heal that got madinans down and no wars on the horizon.
The conflict between candiels and fatmilak was perhaps hugley overshadowed by the conflict between madinan lords and the goverment with Governor Sage, who refused to step down after a very long time of protests and demands.
Eventually the lords decided for drastic measures and fueled by others, refused to sell the city food and eventually it revolted and the peasants kicked Sage out of his rusty throne.
Then sudenly shortly after without any communication in the grand council or in the realm, Candiels seceded and formed Aurvendil.
Sage followed, as he had lost his position in Madina city, which he held thil the last peasants died from hunger.
Florence followed as she was partly blamed for the secession as she appointed the rebels, some even thought it looked like a set up between her and the Libero rebels.
it declared independence with the reason it felt held back by the republic and was monopolized in it's food  by fatmilak into paying too much which it said it couldn't pay.
But in reality, the first perhaps few months of Aurvendil, it struggled with starvation worse then before.
The Republic assaulted Candiels and took military control, several friendly takeovers failled and then decided to leave, (the tone of the war was not set as brutal as it is now, because else the republic would have just looted the city rogue), candiels almost went rogue but Aurvendil managed to regain it's self.
Eventually it managed to self sustain it self and that is where it started to grow and proved to be partly right in being held back by the Republic.
Offcourse not in short term, but it did on long term, exceedingly.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #433: September 24, 2011, 05:27:10 PM »
I REALLY want to know OOC where they get the funds.

I would like to know that too. No matter how I run the numbers, I just don't understand where they got 2,000 men. I mean, that's about 6% of the population of their realm.... equivalent deployment would be like if Madina deployed 4,000 men.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #434: September 24, 2011, 06:08:44 PM »
Remember that smaller realms have cheaper recruitment costs.   I don't know the exact progression, but I do know that as the size of your realm increases, so does the cost of recruiting men.   A 50   50/50   infantry center in Morek would cost more than the exact same infantry center in  Auvrandil.

A smaller realm can run a significantly higher tax rate as well.  I don't know if that would be reflected on the income graph or not...    I don't think there has been a significant battle for a while either.  They have had a lot of time to build that army.  They won't be able to rebuild their army to that size without a fair amount of time.
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)