Author Topic: Southern War of Nobility (Civil war in Madina)  (Read 275121 times)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Southern War of Nobility (Civil war in Madina)
« Reply #795: November 16, 2011, 07:11:48 AM »
Eh, I'm just surprised at the whole thing. Madina should, theoretically, be able to maintain a suitably larger military than Aurvandil, but they're not. Is that related to pure military financing in Aurvandil or Madina not taking the conflict seriously enough? Dunno. One thing, I suppose, about this war is that it provides something to talk about :)

You realise larger realms face higher recruitment cost right?
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Phellan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #796: November 16, 2011, 01:59:56 PM »
Therefore, if Madina attacks Candiels, and say 3000 CS survives to loot Aurvandil's backdoor regions, then Aurvandil should be able to safely dispatch at least 3000 CS to Candiel Fields to massacre them twice in a row (thanks to the walls I assume they have there).

They have stayed there so far, doesn't mean they have to continue doing so if Madina keeps pulling off that stunt.

Btw, were you inspired by Fheuv'n's attack on Fwuvoghor to go loot the islands of Rio? :P

You would think - but last time they sent half their Mobile after us.   And we managed to put about 7K back there which ould explain why they had to chase us around. . .

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #797: November 16, 2011, 07:41:12 PM »
Btw, were you inspired by Fheuv'n's attack on Fwuvoghor to go loot the islands of Rio? :P

You mean that one where we captured your entire military hierarchy and tortured several of them?

Yeah that was really successful.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #798: November 17, 2011, 12:41:38 AM »
You mean that one where we captured your entire military hierarchy and tortured several of them?

Yeah that was really successful.

Never said it was.

Though, as much as you hate to hear it, bugs were the reason that run was so useless.

Torture only helped us gain foreign sympathy, so by all means, keep at it.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #799: November 17, 2011, 03:30:12 AM »
Foreign sympathy?

Oh yeah. That's why all those judges privately contacted Cyrilos congratulating him on getting Handkor and a Chénier in the same run. Because they sympathized with Enweil so much.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #800: November 17, 2011, 05:35:52 AM »
Foreign sympathy?

Oh yeah. That's why all those judges privately contacted Cyrilos congratulating him on getting Handkor and a Chénier in the same run. Because they sympathized with Enweil so much.

Then both of us are happy: feel free to continue doing so.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #801: November 17, 2011, 11:09:01 AM »
I don't think Cyrilos ever thought of stopping, not even one second. :)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #802: November 17, 2011, 11:28:35 AM »
I don't think Cyrilos ever thought of stopping, not even one second. :)

He might have, but probably only long enough to think up some new techniques.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #803: November 17, 2011, 01:15:06 PM »
I think certain people are blurring the lines of IC and OOC, and starting to take things personally, even if they don't realize it. Please remember that no matter what happens, it is still just a game. So to argue about it is arguing about pixels on your computer screen. It isn't worth it. I've said my two cents and I'll go back to making toast.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #804: November 17, 2011, 09:24:04 PM »
Haha, Gustav, Chénier and I are just both very combative people. I don't think either of us take this that seriously; we're just the arguing type.

only long enough to think up some new techniques.

How'd you figure out?

Carna

• Noble Lord
  • Not always sober
    • View Profile
« Reply #805: November 19, 2011, 11:03:00 PM »
You realise larger realms face higher recruitment cost right?

Yes. And as a smaller realm, Aurvandil can run a higher tax rate. Its the sick comparison between the tax rate I can run in Barca and the one I can run in Arcaea. I'm still surprised somewhat that Madina seem to struggle to meet the same strength that Aurvandil manages. Higher tax rates and lower recruitment costs shouldn't mean a realm over twice the size should struggle to beat their neighbour. Throw in walls and I'm not utterly surprised, but I still think it feels off.

I'm not suggesting Aurvandil is doing something it shouldn't. I'm more wondering at what Madina is doing wrong for this situation to stand. Is there something to explain this, or is it simply the combination of the factors we are already aware of? I'm curious, but mainly for the sake of curiosity itself.

Finn.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #806: November 20, 2011, 02:45:40 AM »
Yes. And as a smaller realm, Aurvandil can run a higher tax rate. Its the sick comparison between the tax rate I can run in Barca and the one I can run in Arcaea. I'm still surprised somewhat that Madina seem to struggle to meet the same strength that Aurvandil manages. Higher tax rates and lower recruitment costs shouldn't mean a realm over twice the size should struggle to beat their neighbour. Throw in walls and I'm not utterly surprised, but I still think it feels off.

I'm not suggesting Aurvandil is doing something it shouldn't. I'm more wondering at what Madina is doing wrong for this situation to stand. Is there something to explain this, or is it simply the combination of the factors we are already aware of? I'm curious, but mainly for the sake of curiosity itself.

Finn.

At a guess I would say it is something similar to Arcaea and Arcachron. We have more nobles and more gold, they have an almost unitied realm were nearly every single piece of gold is well used by the armies, where Arcaea has a fair few gold sinks and nobles that are pretty inactive.

Carna

• Noble Lord
  • Not always sober
    • View Profile
« Reply #807: November 20, 2011, 09:46:48 AM »
United? I hate to say it, but they sound more like the Eire of old that they image themselves - to some extent - on. How'd that rebellion go, anyway? And yeah, Arcaea do have some less than totally motivated nobles but the public floggings in Remton, the lists, the fines, they'll have an effect right?

On topic though. I suppose that's probably what I was thinking, or the direction my thoughts were taking me. Can't say I give it all that much thought - other priorities - but I guess I am of the opinion that Madina could beat Aurvandil because as much as the latter have some benefits, I don't think that is sufficient to explain the fact that they are on a par, or even weighing in more heavily on Aurvandil's side. If it continues, I'd suspect the conquest of the Tower might open some eyes. But, by then, Madina can't hope for a complete victory. Their only choice by then is to try stave off too harsh a defeat. Aurvandil is not the most peaceful of realms and I can't be the only one to think that they have more than plenty of nobles to literally eat up Madina. I don't know if they will or if the Bay of Candiels will be renamed the Bay of Misfortune, but as someone who doesn't particularly like (or dislike) either side I have to say the odds look to be in Aurvandil's favour despite not having their regions of Evanburg and Lusitania right now.

I dunno. I'd nearly prefer a conclusion one way or another at this stage. Its something to talk about, but until its all settled the Lurians get away with their pesky revolts, revolutions and rebellions. And yeah, every time they still stick with monarchies. What's with that? Where's the republican influence?

Finn.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #808: November 20, 2011, 09:56:54 AM »
United? I hate to say it, but they sound more like the Eire of old that they image themselves - to some extent - on. How'd that rebellion go, anyway? And yeah, Arcaea do have some less than totally motivated nobles but the public floggings in Remton, the lists, the fines, they'll have an effect right?

On topic though. I suppose that's probably what I was thinking, or the direction my thoughts were taking me. Can't say I give it all that much thought - other priorities - but I guess I am of the opinion that Madina could beat Aurvandil because as much as the latter have some benefits, I don't think that is sufficient to explain the fact that they are on a par, or even weighing in more heavily on Aurvandil's side. If it continues, I'd suspect the conquest of the Tower might open some eyes. But, by then, Madina can't hope for a complete victory. Their only choice by then is to try stave off too harsh a defeat. Aurvandil is not the most peaceful of realms and I can't be the only one to think that they have more than plenty of nobles to literally eat up Madina. I don't know if they will or if the Bay of Candiels will be renamed the Bay of Misfortune, but as someone who doesn't particularly like (or dislike) either side I have to say the odds look to be in Aurvandil's favour despite not having their regions of Evanburg and Lusitania right now.

I dunno. I'd nearly prefer a conclusion one way or another at this stage. Its something to talk about, but until its all settled the Lurians get away with their pesky revolts, revolutions and rebellions. And yeah, every time they still stick with monarchies. What's with that? Where's the republican influence?

Finn.

Luria in general is very anti-republic. That might change as nobles come and go, but right now the majority of players enjoy and want monarchies. Thus the rebellions are generally lead by other want to be monarchs.

With what is happening in Arcachon we might see whether my assumptions have been true. With the realm fractured and not able to concentrate entirely on the war we in Arcaea should be able to capitalise on the last successful landing. Wonder what the Arcachon motto is now that Arcaea managed to land an army on their island without allied help. Can't go crowing about nobody ever breaching their defenses.

Carna

• Noble Lord
  • Not always sober
    • View Profile
« Reply #809: November 20, 2011, 10:30:49 AM »
No one ever breached their defenses because, in the last two or three years, they've had a very powerful neighbour whom they had an alliance with. The problem for Arcachon is that they forgot that and needed a reminder. Sadly for them, the reminder is likely to be fatal. Happens.

Same story isn't likely true for Madina and Aurvandil. Course, Aurvandil's a monarchy surrounded by republics. Who's to say there won't be a rebellion there too? Could be something in the air  :o

Finn.