Author Topic: Southern War of Nobility (Civil war in Madina)  (Read 275118 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Southern War of Nobility (Civil war in Madina)
« Reply #870: December 12, 2011, 07:05:52 PM »
If the numbers say anything, it's that if Aurvandil ever does take the Tower, Madina will probably be overrun.

I knew this long ago.  The numbers aren't really all, the geography change would be immense: instead of having a chokepoint that locks Aurvandil to their capital, they would have an extra layer of protection and be able to go fight on unfortified regions.

If Aurvandil gets the tower, one way or another, Madina's done for.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #871: December 12, 2011, 09:10:22 PM »
That and the fact that they have many rural regions in between Fatmilak and Madina, plus their refit time will be longer.. so yeah, if the Tower falls, Madina is screwed. We managed to take down their stronghold walls, but we won't be back for another month or two.
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #872: December 12, 2011, 09:12:54 PM »
That and the fact that they have many rural regions in between Fatmilak and Madina, plus their refit time will be longer.. so yeah, if the Tower falls, Madina is screwed. We managed to take down their stronghold walls, but we won't be back for another month or two.

What's needed to buy a region again? Other than loads of gold?

'cause if it's just gold, it would totally be a worthwhile investment for Aurvandil...
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #873: December 12, 2011, 09:22:43 PM »
You can't buy regions in the Capital Perimeter. Nice try, though. (The game tells you something like that :P)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #874: December 12, 2011, 09:26:04 PM »
You can't buy regions in the Capital Perimeter. Nice try, though. (The game tells you something like that :P)

But it isn't.

Madina city is Madina's capital, no? Should be far enough away.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #875: December 12, 2011, 09:28:33 PM »
Can't really check. I thought the Capital was moved with the whole Madina City being made to revolt to oust the Duke. You can check it though :P

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #876: December 12, 2011, 09:32:31 PM »
Damn, it's the tower.

I guess that settles that.

They should try to all move their family mansions to the tower, then, and dump thousands of gold on it one shot to make it revolt to them.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #877: December 12, 2011, 11:47:28 PM »
Damn, it's the tower.

I guess that settles that.

They should try to all move their family mansions to the tower, then, and dump thousands of gold on it one shot to make it revolt to them.

You wouldn't consider that meta gaming? You are basing the decision to move a family mansion, which should be a RP decision solely on a desire to access a certain game mechanic?
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #878: December 12, 2011, 11:49:21 PM »
You wouldn't consider that meta gaming? You are basing the decision to move a family mansion, which should be a RP decision solely on a desire to access a certain game mechanic?

Would it be meta-gaming to move your unit into a region so that you could loot it?

No...

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #879: December 12, 2011, 11:56:14 PM »
Would it be meta-gaming to move your unit into a region so that you could loot it?

No...

Looting enemy regions is somewhat different to uprooting your family and placing them in an enemy realm though isn't. Don't worry extended family members with young children and wives, even though we regularly call these people pirates and doubt their nobility, I have no doubt you will be completely safe within their borders. This is forgetting the whole issue of exactly HOW you would even get permission to settle your family there, and forgetting that they would have to all select the hero subclass to even do it.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #880: December 13, 2011, 12:55:14 AM »
Looting enemy regions is somewhat different to uprooting your family and placing them in an enemy realm though isn't. Don't worry extended family members with young children and wives, even though we regularly call these people pirates and doubt their nobility, I have no doubt you will be completely safe within their borders. This is forgetting the whole issue of exactly HOW you would even get permission to settle your family there, and forgetting that they would have to all select the hero subclass to even do it.

Privileges of being of the upper class, the elite of the elite? Same presumptions of unbreakable social norms that dictate that you can't execute someone without banning him first.

As to how to get permission to settle there, that's pretty obvious: gold. Doesn't cost a bucketload of it for nothing. I suspect bribes have a good deal to do with it.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #881: December 13, 2011, 01:44:41 AM »

I really want to believe you're joking.

But then... I'm not totally sure.

We managed to take down their stronghold walls, but we won't be back for another month or two.

Stronghold walls?

LOL.

Last time ya'll were boasting about getting them down to Palisades.

So... you got them down to Palisades... and the next time you attacked... they were up to Stronghold again?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #882: December 13, 2011, 02:36:35 AM »
You call asking for a torture report metagaming, and then suggest crap like this?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #883: December 13, 2011, 05:05:26 AM »
You call asking for a torture report metagaming, and then suggest crap like this?

I would never expect them to actually do it.

But then again, I don't see your point. It's a complicated manoeuvre, that is extremely costly and has probably poor odds of success.

"Keep your friends close, and your enemies even closer". I didn't really give it much thought, as I never expected such a thing to happen (or hell, to be worthwhile at all), but upon a simple glance I don't see an issue with it. It's perfectly in line with the "plausible deniability" schemes that have been pushed and the social norms enforced by the game that say you really can't punish high nobles unless you proved they did something (if they are foreign, at least).

It's really not that good a suggestion, else people would have done it elsewhere already by now. Costs a ton of gold to move that house, and only heroes can do it too. Heroes are people who love risks, I guess, so that makes sense that they would be the kind of people willing to go buy a plot of land in hostile soils to set up there. Maybe you could argue that it'd be foolish to expose the family like that, but BM social norms dictate that they wouldn't be hurt. And besides, the house costs a tonload. Do you really think they build the mansion out of wood? It costs more than frigging walls! The family mansion is obviously fortified. And considering the ties they have with local rebels, I would assume that it is well-defended as well, and that any action against it would risk popular revolt. Hence why no BM character or NPC ever attacks the mansions.

Every part of it can be explained through IC means in a way that actually makes sense. Mind explaining to me in an IC way how we can know that scribe reports can never be fabricated or tampered with?

The kind of money that is needed to move the mansion is considerable. It leaves plenty of room for RP explanations of why things are as they are afterwards.

And note that this comment was just thrown like this OOC. While it could be justifiable IC, that doesn't mean it would be justified for everyone, and I don't see myself ever suggesting such a thing IC.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 05:06:57 AM by Chénier »

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #884: December 13, 2011, 06:42:32 AM »

Kind of my thought.

See? I at least am consistent! I just think you're all metagamers.  ;)
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner