Author Topic: Treaty Interpretation Styles  (Read 11379 times)

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
Re: Treaty Interpretation Styles
« Topic Start: December 24, 2012, 10:57:01 PM »
I'd like to think I've been pretty clever in wording my treaties (actually to gain things or keep doors open much further down the road hidden inside the treaty), but I often wonder if going so far makes it less fun for other players. After all, you really shouldn't need to be a lawyer to play BM... Though, I suppose you're not forced to, either. Just declare war or find some other way to fight it.

That's the thing.  There isn't some higher legal power enforcing treaties.  It depends quite a bit on the attitudes of the other treaty participants and the other realms on the island.  If they decide to hold you to what they see as the "spirit" of the treaty, no amount of weasel-wording is going to save you from fifty thousand CS on your border.  'Tis why I don't much care for peace treaties except in extraordinary circumstances.  Kill them, colonize them, or convert them, but no treaty terms will stand longer than it takes for them to gather allies and gold.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"