Author Topic: Vent Thread  (Read 41820 times)

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Vent Thread
« Reply #105: January 08, 2013, 01:44:13 AM »
In response to the original posters post, I think the job of the ruler is to be a pussy. His job is to lead diplomacy and ensure the prosperity of the realm. Unless victory is certain and damage to infrastructure is minimal, I wouldn't expect a ruler to be gung-ho for a war. There might be exceptions for good RP rulers starting a fight, but it isn't the job of a ruler. Honestly, it's the marshals job to be gung-ho for war.

It's the idle nobility's prerogative to start something the realm might not be able to finish. Demand an opportunity for loot, vengeance, or glory. If the rulers say no, dissent and/or start something on your own. Protest if you feel like people may rally behind you, and if you nothing else works then just march yourself into someones territory and pick a fight. The 'murderous' setting isn't just there for show.
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #106: January 08, 2013, 03:26:21 PM »
Unless victory is certain and damage to infrastructure is minimal, I wouldn't expect a ruler to be gung-ho for a war.

This attitude is precisely the problem.

90% of the time, the only way that's possible is if you have 5 realms of the same size as the 1 realm getting beat down on all attacking at once.

Also, 90% of the time, an idle noble charging into a region on murderous settings just gets banned and nothing else happens.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107: January 08, 2013, 04:15:01 PM »
Also, 90% of the time, an idle noble charging into a region on murderous settings just gets banned and nothing else happens.
Agreed. The only way the murderous charge starts a war is if one side already wants war, and is looking for a publicly acceptable way to declare it. That is very rare.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Jon Snow

• Knight
  • Eddard, Brandon, and Jon
    • View Profile
« Reply #108: January 08, 2013, 05:26:20 PM »

Exactly what I thought when I read that too. Charging into another realm with murderous troops will only get you a ban, unless most other people from your realm want to fight as well. That's why most of the time you don't have a choice to do anything but sit around and twiddle your thumbs when there are no wars, unless you choose to be an infiltrator.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #109: January 08, 2013, 05:49:28 PM »
Agreed. The only way the murderous charge starts a war is if one side already wants war, and is looking for a publicly acceptable way to declare it. That is very rare.

It depends who you are. Brance wouldn't get banned if he did it. Of course, a 19 year old knight no one knows much about would get banned in a heartbeat.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #110: January 08, 2013, 06:05:53 PM »
Nobody wants to have a random nobody decide politics for them and shove them in conflicts they had no say in getting involved in. What else would you expect?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #111: January 08, 2013, 07:27:56 PM »
Nobody wants to have a random nobody decide politics for them and shove them in conflicts they had no say in getting involved in. What else would you expect?

That's exactly my point. The murderous setting is useful if you are politically in a position where you can use it. That's the point of the game.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #112: January 08, 2013, 07:28:14 PM »
This attitude is precisely the problem.

90% of the time, the only way that's possible is if you have 5 realms of the same size as the 1 realm getting beat down on all attacking at once.

I agree with you, but I'm not sure it's just an attitude problem. It's really hard to rebuild. It's expensive in terms of time and gold. It's boring. All of the different metrics by which a realm judges its health or aptitude for conflict incentivize lengthy planning and conservative play.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #113: January 08, 2013, 10:29:17 PM »

Well, there are things between total war and total cuddling. In the real world, incidents like that often escalate a bit, and then either de-escalation and diplomacy finds a way and some solution is found, or the escalation continues until it turns into a reason for war.

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #114: January 08, 2013, 10:57:00 PM »
It took me a couple of weeks to setup a good RP reason, but I'm about to test the hypothesis that a greenhorn knight can't start a war the rulers don't want. Pissed off the Judge and Ruler of the neutral realm, even routed that realm's general. Granted he had a pitiful unit, but I can't imagine a medieval kingdom letting some uppity youngin' foreigner smack down their military leader and not start something.

If nothing else, after two weeks of silence there's a bit of activity going on. The ban will be worth it.
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #115: January 08, 2013, 11:03:51 PM »
It took me a couple of weeks to setup a good RP reason, but I'm about to test the hypothesis that a greenhorn knight can't start a war the rulers don't want. Pissed off the Judge and Ruler of the neutral realm, even routed that realm's general. Granted he had a pitiful unit, but I can't imagine a medieval kingdom letting some uppity youngin' foreigner smack down their military leader and not start something.

If nothing else, after two weeks of silence there's a bit of activity going on. The ban will be worth it.

Are you Eoric?
Ardet nec consumitur.

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #116: January 08, 2013, 11:27:27 PM »
Are you Eoric?

Guilty. I'm also Willy, the murdering adventurer who hid in Armonia. Was a bit afraid that their judge would just hang Willy and end the drama there and then. I tried to set it up that he had the option, but IC tried my hardest to make sure he wouldn't take it. May have pressed your judge a little too hard, though. How irate is he?

No OOC hard feelings about trying to start a war with your realm?  :-*

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #117: January 08, 2013, 11:45:46 PM »
Well, there are things between total war and total cuddling. In the real world, incidents like that often escalate a bit, and then either de-escalation and diplomacy finds a way and some solution is found, or the escalation continues until it turns into a reason for war.

When american troops do friendly fire and kill canadian troops, you don't get hordes invading parliament hill. And I don't even know what kind of reprimand the american troops get, if any.

IG, these things seem to be treated exactly the same way. Haters will use it in their propaganda, most people will resent it. But overall, one incident is unlikely to shake things up, unless one of the sides was already just looking for a pretext.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #118: January 09, 2013, 12:10:45 AM »
Guilty. I'm also Willy, the murdering adventurer who hid in Armonia. Was a bit afraid that their judge would just hang Willy and end the drama there and then. I tried to set it up that he had the option, but IC tried my hardest to make sure he wouldn't take it. May have pressed your judge a little too hard, though. How irate is he?

No OOC hard feelings about trying to start a war with your realm?  :-*

Haha, no. Your actions are hilarious. And somehow it might even be working... as long as you aren't banned from Perdan, of course.
Ardet nec consumitur.

Kwanstein

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #119: January 09, 2013, 12:30:37 AM »
When american troops do friendly fire and kill canadian troops, you don't get hordes invading parliament hill. And I don't even know what kind of reprimand the american troops get, if any.

IG, these things seem to be treated exactly the same way. Haters will use it in their propaganda, most people will resent it. But overall, one incident is unlikely to shake things up, unless one of the sides was already just looking for a pretext.

What if Indian troops friendly fired on Chinese troops? That has happened before and it did in fact escalate into a larger conflict. I believe similar has happened between USSR and China, Pakistan and India.