Author Topic: What makes a D'haran?  (Read 144055 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Re: What makes a D'haran?
« Reply #225: March 29, 2013, 04:07:12 AM »
A hyper-RP'd centralized tyranny soon overthrown by a cabal of mid-level lords rejecting a strong executive.

Basically Terran became what Melodia would have become if it had survived.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #226: March 29, 2013, 05:22:11 AM »
A hyper-RP'd centralized tyranny soon overthrown by a cabal of mid-level lords rejecting a strong executive.

Basically Terran became what Melodia would have become if it had survived.
Well I kind of got that from the wiki. I am thinking more like what made it so special, unless that is what made it special? Though if that's what made it special, what makes it different than any other republic?  (Didn't get the RP part but otherwise got the rest of that from wiki. Also, I don't anything internally about Terran other than hyper-republican.)
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #227: March 29, 2013, 07:03:31 AM »
Melodia didn't last long enough to have lots of distinct history.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #228: March 29, 2013, 07:23:33 AM »
Melodia didn't last long enough to have lots of distinct history.

I don't remember it having any history, lol the realm was formed and pretty soon after was destroyed or... I can't even really remember it was so long ago. The thing about Melodia is that it has been so long ago that it is basically a mythical kingdom of yore , anyone can take its name and form some sort of mythical legendary atlantean type history about it even though it was nothing of the sort. But time has formed its own story with Melodia. I think its still a good story and think that every kingdom that has risen or fallen on Dwilight has in some way no matter how short formed an interesting legend in Dwilights cultural history.

For Glaumring Melodia is a place of his youth, sunshine and marble by the sea. The first taste of high civilization for a boy from a sleepy backwater called Port Raviel on the edge of a grand new world.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Wolfsong

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • FutureMUD
« Reply #229: March 29, 2013, 10:43:14 AM »
Melodia was pretty cool... Until a bunch of players immigrated there under the pretense of taking it over, rebelled successfully, and drove it rogue through mismanagement and greed.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #230: March 29, 2013, 10:54:51 AM »
immigrated there under the pretense of taking it over

That's a pretty clear-cut pretense to me....
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #231: March 29, 2013, 04:00:54 PM »
Melodia was pretty cool... Until a bunch of players immigrated there under the pretense of taking it over, rebelled successfully, and drove it rogue through mismanagement and greed.

Actually, a change in monster spawn code did this.

And Albert's two counter-rebellions.

And the rebels, hireshmont, kale, and Quintus, were the original founders alongside Albert, not late-comers.

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #232: March 29, 2013, 06:05:20 PM »

I left the game for other reasons after the Melodia rebellion (which Quintus started - he didn't immigrate there just for it, he was one of Albert's right-hand dudes along with Vellos).

Had I stayed, Quintus would've insisted on a stronger central executive modeled after Lasanar (which ultimately had a very strong one).

Melodia started out as Albert and Quintus' and Hireshmont's and Kale's child.  It was a lot of effort and there was a lot about BM that was more frustrating game-wise then...like monster spawns.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #233: March 29, 2013, 06:29:00 PM »
Yeah ok i remember now it was you Quintus  that started the revolt. I fought on the side of the loyalists. Its funny how everyone in the west is so intertwined .

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #234: March 29, 2013, 06:51:07 PM »
I left the game for other reasons after the Melodia rebellion (which Quintus started - he didn't immigrate there just for it, he was one of Albert's right-hand dudes along with Vellos).

Had I stayed, Quintus would've insisted on a stronger central executive modeled after Lasanar (which ultimately had a very strong one).

Melodia started out as Albert and Quintus' and Hireshmont's and Kale's child.  It was a lot of effort and there was a lot about BM that was more frustrating game-wise then...like monster spawns.

Quintus would've lost that push.

I recall that our main complaints were due to Albert thinking Melodia needed a strong executive. Younger Quintus was way, way less monarchical and more anti-authority than older Quintus.

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #235: March 29, 2013, 09:15:30 PM »
I recall that our main complaints were due to Albert thinking Melodia needed a strong executive. Younger Quintus was way, way less monarchical and more anti-authority than older Quintus.

Not at all. Albert was a tyrant: literally. The government was of type 'tyranny.' It was the neat part of the idea: let's do something that hardly anybody does. Unfortunately he wasn't clever enough to wield that kind of power and assumed that his magnates were there to be groveling sycophants, and as it turned out, they weren't.

I didn't have the energy then to player two rulers (as Galiard was King in Cathay back then as well) so Quintus probably begged off more authority than I was prepared to take on. Not because he was anti-authority - he's the eldest son of a King.

Melodia did need a strong executive. Just not the one it had, and Quintus' entire education would've been centered on building a monarchy with built-in checks and balances, similar to Cathay's, which is really just the Monarchy version of Lasanar's government that worked very well for so long as anybody was around to enforce it.

If Melodia has mythic status it's because it was one of the earliest realms and because it really did have a neat idea behind it. I'd be down for trying that idea again except that there is way too much 21st century anti-authority in BM, particularly in Dwilight. I'm not talking about Vellos: he and Kale are at least consistent in their view that there's Republicanism and there's tyranny and nothing in between.

There were legit anti-authority movements in history, though. Bohemia and France both had them and they were both absolutely crippled by them. Bohemia was an awesome Kingdom with a lot of government tweaks we'd consider very modern, and well before most anyone else had them. Worked very well so long as they weren't being invaded by Austrians, and France for a few hundred years was more a collection of Dukes with a figurehaed (not unlike Terran) as opposed to England, where even the weaker monarchs enjoyed more power than most French Kings did up until the Renaissance.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #236: March 30, 2013, 02:01:31 AM »
The thing about Melodia is that it has been so long ago that it is basically a mythical kingdom of yore ,

Indeed, it was the first real realm in the Maroccidens, I believe. And while it was short lived, its death almost defined the experience of early Maroccidental settlement, which is basically the extreme and harsh conditions of surviving and constant, brutal monster/undead attacks.

Furthermore, as this thread shows many of its members went on to be quite influential across all aspects of present-day Maroccidens/Mesoccidens. Pretty awesome, really.

I'm not talking about Vellos: he and Kale are at least consistent in their view that there's Republicanism and there's tyranny and nothing in between.

Interestingly enough, Phantaria is in the process of implementing a system trying to identify a middle ground. Though looks like Saffalore is going full fledged Monarchy.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #237: March 30, 2013, 02:46:04 AM »
Phantaria is pretty much considered all good by the 'moot while Saffalore is on the !@#$ list. (Well maybe not by the entire 'moot but that is how it is for D'hara.)
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #238: March 30, 2013, 06:54:39 AM »
Phantaria is pretty much considered all good by the 'moot while Saffalore is on the !@#$ list. (Well maybe not by the entire 'moot but that is how it is for D'hara.)

pretty much.
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #239: March 30, 2013, 09:52:55 PM »
Saffalore is on Asylons good list for being a monarchy... Funny how things work.