Author Topic: What makes a D'haran?  (Read 144085 times)

Tandaros

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: What makes a D'haran?
« Reply #300: May 21, 2013, 12:03:24 AM »
I'm personally inclined D'hara is the Rocky Horror Picture show. Brad and Janet are clearly Rurik and Machaviel. Rynn is Dr Frank-N-Furter. Ismail is Rocky.

Ha! Nice.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #301: May 21, 2013, 01:51:04 AM »
That just makes your conversion all the better.

Imagine if Attila had come to the Pope, hat in hand, begging forgiveness of his sins.

Okay, the Pope might have killed him.

But that's not too far off of what Clovis actually did do.

Kale's not Attila. He's not a barbarian or a pagan. He's a Triunist and has been for decades. He's devoted to the culture and values of the (Mes)(Mar)Occidens. Converting just wouldn't be in his character. It would almost feel gamey.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #302: May 21, 2013, 03:21:17 AM »
Kale's not Attila. He's not a barbarian or a pagan. He's a Triunist and has been for decades. He's devoted to the culture and values of the (Mes)(Mar)Occidens. Converting just wouldn't be in his character. It would almost feel gamey.

Being a Triunist means he views SA as a variant; it's a short step.

Hireshmont was a priest and elder of Triunism.

Medieval nobles converted for gamey reasons. It's very SMA to adjust your religion for political reasons.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #303: May 21, 2013, 04:14:08 AM »
Don't let Kale give in! Vellos = Palpatine/Littlefinger
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #304: May 21, 2013, 04:31:20 AM »
Don't let Kale give in! Vellos = Palpatine/Littlefinger

Palpatine, maybe. Littlefinger though is just in a whole other ballpark when it comes to manipulating.

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #305: May 21, 2013, 05:57:13 AM »
Being a Triunist means he views SA as a variant; it's a short step.

Hireshmont was a priest and elder of Triunism.

Medieval nobles converted for gamey reasons. It's very SMA to adjust your religion for political reasons.

That's true. I mean he did argue the fact that he's a variant of SA to many.

Nonetheless, I just don't think it's Kale's character, he has always been quite honorable.

Also, it would alienate most of the friends he's built up. Would just be a bad move.

Even more so because where as Kale before had no qualms with Astroism and was actually quite the friend and ally to the religion (indeed only seeing it as a variant of his own) he is now bitter and feels betrayed and that the Church has shown its corruption.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 06:24:08 AM by Perth »
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #306: May 21, 2013, 09:01:24 AM »
I'm personally inclined D'hara is the Rocky Horror Picture show. Brad and Janet are clearly Rurik and Machaviel. Rynn is Dr Frank-N-Furter. Ismail is Rocky.

Ok, I need to find a way to integrate a SMA version of a motorbike now. I really wanna be Meat Loaf.  ;D
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #307: May 21, 2013, 01:48:10 PM »
Ok, I need to find a way to integrate a SMA version of a motorbike now. I really wanna be Meat Loaf.  ;D

I think it's called a "horse".
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #308: May 21, 2013, 05:03:08 PM »
That's true. I mean he did argue the fact that he's a variant of SA to many.

Nonetheless, I just don't think it's Kale's character, he has always been quite honorable.

Also, it would alienate most of the friends he's built up. Would just be a bad move.

Even more so because where as Kale before had no qualms with Astroism and was actually quite the friend and ally to the religion (indeed only seeing it as a variant of his own) he is now bitter and feels betrayed and that the Church has shown its corruption.

Psh... it's not corruption. Change your point of view; see it as an opportunity!

Besides, the friends Kale has built up are mostly pretty much worthless, or rapidly converting to Astroism, or already there.

ONE OF US. ONE OF US.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #309: May 24, 2013, 05:46:25 PM »
So it appears everyone and their grandmother wants John D's no vacant lordship of Paisly.  I am hoping for a good campaign!
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #310: May 24, 2013, 07:43:11 PM »
So it appears everyone and their grandmother wants John D's no vacant lordship of Paisly.  I am hoping for a good campaign!

It's the Jewel of the Maroccidens.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #311: May 24, 2013, 07:52:36 PM »

Would it suck if I just appointed someone to it? XD

Don't think I'll do that, though, but I'll need to put some serious thoughts into who to support to lord over my favorite city (and duchy's only city).
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Tandaros

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #312: May 24, 2013, 08:32:51 PM »
Would it suck if I just appointed someone to it? XD

Don't think I'll do that, though, but I'll need to put some serious thoughts into who to support to lord over my favorite city (and duchy's only city).

Yeah don't appoint anyone! Let the election play out. There are some great names on the shortlist; Tybalt, Tratumal, Ulfang, Baulden, and Bipel. Seems Bipel runs for everything and anything these days with the same draft. "I was the Vesperi King, wheeee!"

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #313: May 24, 2013, 11:17:49 PM »
The thing that sucks with Ulfang is the same that sucked with Ismail: we'd need to find a new Chairman after. :/
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Tandaros

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #314: May 24, 2013, 11:41:51 PM »
The thing that sucks with Ulfang is the same that sucked with Ismail: we'd need to find a new Chairman after. :/

not true. Ulfang has consistently refused to be Chairman, even when Ismail urged him to. The current Chairman of the Midlands is Rebec Cato and he's doing a dang fine job imo.