Author Topic: What makes a D'haran?  (Read 144085 times)

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
Re: What makes a D'haran?
« Reply #315: May 25, 2013, 03:19:57 AM »
Wasn't Ulfang chairman for a while? Or did I completely imagine that?

Also, Rynn is very seriously considering shutting down the MC. What's the point if know one uses it?
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Tandaros

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #316: May 25, 2013, 04:49:18 AM »
Wasn't Ulfang chairman for a while? Or did I completely imagine that?

Also, Rynn is very seriously considering shutting down the MC. What's the point if know one uses it?

I believe Turin succeeded Ismail, then Tratumal (?), then Rebec. Between Ismail and Rebec the turnover was pretty high and the Chairmanship kinda turned into a holding pen for new lords.

I can understand Rynn's temptation to shut down the MC. When Ismail was Chairman it was like pulling teeth to get a response on anything. Even the Dragon Restoration only got like 3 knights to speak up of... 8 or 10 or so? The Second Census also showed lower knight participation. However, with the influx of new knights (ex-lords and otherwise), the MC could find fresh purpose.

Ismail drew some flak for using the Chairmanship and tangentially the MC to push his agenda, but hell, why not? Rebec could totally turn it into a legislative hammer if he wanted to. It might be a nice institution to keep around in case some ambitious knight comes along that really wants to shake things up and rattle the House of Lords a bit.

As an afterthought, maybe there could be some routine procedure every several months or so to get knights to renew the MC's mandate. For example: If less than 1/3 of the knights sign off on another term for the MC, it would be adjourned. It could be reconvened when the knights find a new cause to rally behind. Maybe this would be a better third option next to 'get rid of it' and 'let the quiet kids club continue uselessly.'
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 04:57:50 AM by Tandaros »

anoobowner

• Knight
  • Vorash Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #317: May 25, 2013, 08:54:09 AM »
I believe the MC is extremely important, and it sets D'hara apart from other realms. Its existence pretty much guarantees that ambitious noblemen or noblewomen will have their voice heard in the house of Lords. Even if you disband it, I believe a position like the Chairman should be kept. It's politically interesting for the knights because it's a stepping stone of responsibility that is short of a lordship that can be reached during the long times between chairs emptying, and it's inconsequential enough to be used to experiment with. Perhaps it could be rebranded as something like 'Secretary to the Knighthood' or something.

Imagine spending your first week of Battlemaster in the last week of Luria Vesperi. By day 2 Miranda was ordered to take an estate somewhere and imprisoned by Solarians and unable to talk to anybody. What really sold Battlemaster to me as a good game was Rynn and Ismail welcoming me and engaging me with D'haran politics in a limited way after I was left penniless and most of my men starved to death on a desperate flight to the Dragon Isles. If the midlands council is to be disbanded, ensure that what made it good is not lost.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 08:56:05 AM by anoobowner »
VORASH FAMILY: Protheon--Riombara | Prospero--Morek | Pamela--Caergoth

"The thing with computer-generated imagery is that it's an incredibly powerful tool for making better visual effects. But I believe in an absolute difference between animation and photography." - Christopher Nolan

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #318: May 25, 2013, 09:17:33 AM »
I believe the MC is extremely important, and it sets D'hara apart from other realms. Its existence pretty much guarantees that ambitious noblemen or noblewomen will have their voice heard in the house of Lords. Even if you disband it, I believe a position like the Chairman should be kept. It's politically interesting for the knights because it's a stepping stone of responsibility that is short of a lordship that can be reached during the long times between chairs emptying, and it's inconsequential enough to be used to experiment with. Perhaps it could be rebranded as something like 'Secretary to the Knighthood' or something.

Imagine spending your first week of Battlemaster in the last week of Luria Vesperi. By day 2 Miranda was ordered to take an estate somewhere and imprisoned by Solarians and unable to talk to anybody. What really sold Battlemaster to me as a good game was Rynn and Ismail welcoming me and engaging me with D'haran politics in a limited way after I was left penniless and most of my men starved to death on a desperate flight to the Dragon Isles. If the midlands council is to be disbanded, ensure that what made it good is not lost.

Wait.

You guys.... you guys have knights?  :o
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #319: May 25, 2013, 01:38:10 PM »

Wait.

You don't?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #320: May 25, 2013, 02:13:27 PM »

Wait.

Damn, he found us out, guys...

Also, Rynn's been tslking to other rulers and is about to do something Bowie-level drastic...

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #321: May 25, 2013, 02:15:18 PM »

Warm fuzzy feelings  :)

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #322: May 26, 2013, 08:23:43 AM »
You don't?

This is Terran, we don't have Knights... we just have Lords. Lots and lots of rotating Lords!
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #323: May 26, 2013, 09:20:30 PM »
not true. Ulfang has consistently refused to be Chairman, even when Ismail urged him to. The current Chairman of the Midlands is Rebec Cato and he's doing a dang fine job imo.

You are quite right...

why the hell are people telling machiavel that Ulfang is chairman, now? Damn Rynn. ;)
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #324: May 26, 2013, 09:31:57 PM »
This is Terran, we don't have Knights... we just have Lords. Lots and lots of rotating Lords!

Join D'Hara! Only here can you become a noble knight once more, and leave the burdensome responsibilities of lordship!

We'll be quite happy to give you an estate in exchange for your region. ;)
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Samboji

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #325: May 30, 2013, 12:48:33 PM »
D'hara,

Pick a card, any card. Oh, you picked SA. So what's that about constant surges of paganism coming out of Port Nebel? Affecting every city that you have sea-trade with?

Me thinks you'd be fooked.

Lol.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #326: May 30, 2013, 12:51:23 PM »
D'hara,

Pick a card, any card. Oh, you picked SA. So what's that about constant surges of paganism coming out of Port Nebel? Affecting every city that you have sea-trade with?

Lol.

There are huge surges in Port Raviel too, it dropped from a straight 100% to 41% since the coronation (which was, what, three weeks ago?)

After all it's a roleplaying game.

Samboji

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #327: May 30, 2013, 01:06:34 PM »
Don't worry, there's a lot of friends that will help you on that.

Northern SA? Yep, they're good and stable. D'haran SA? I think there's pretty good reason for a Casus Belli here.

There's boredom in the religion. Problem solved.

We told you D'Hara was the problem. We told you'ze all. Millenium hand and shrimp.........

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #328: May 30, 2013, 01:44:14 PM »
D'hara,

Lol.

The surges, I believe, came from Golden Farrow, so...

Feylonis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #329: May 30, 2013, 05:10:34 PM »
;)