Author Topic: What makes a D'haran?  (Read 144085 times)

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: What makes a D'haran?
« Reply #150: March 06, 2013, 07:56:51 PM »
Knights don't get to vote, though, do they?
Since its ruler position I am pretty sure elections must include everyone,  and I know they do in D'hara.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #151: March 06, 2013, 07:57:05 PM »
Knights don't get to vote, though, do they?

I thought everyone got to vote for the government positions. Just not for lordships. I can check, but I am working and feeling lazy.
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Tandaros

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #152: March 06, 2013, 08:12:02 PM »
I thought everyone got to vote for the government positions. Just not for lordships. I can check, but I am working and feeling lazy.

The only election D'Haran knights can currently vote in are for Prime Minister. All other government positions and lordships are elected by the lords.

I'm pretty sure most knights backed Rynn for PM. So yeah, the Midlands Council apparently works.  :P

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #153: March 06, 2013, 08:17:06 PM »
Since its ruler position I am pretty sure elections must include everyone,  and I know they do in D'hara.

They don't have to. Back in Madina, they made it so that only dukes could vote for the ruler, once, despite there only being 1 duke.

In Fheuv'n, only lords could vote.

I really thought that only lords could vote in D'Hara too... apparently that is the case, for some government positions. But not all, and not all in the same way. Not sure why...

Election Starts   (5 days, 13 hours ago)
message to Constantine, Machiavel, Pierre, Tarajist, Edimilson, Bendix, Rurik, Tybalt, Tan, Kendal, Ellyn, Bipel, Ghaundan, Conleth, Lucious, Oxi, Marco, Mathias, Rynn, Alric, Ulfang, Aurenna, Kay, Ismail, Tass, Riannon, Sharon, Miranda
The quarterly election for the position of Ruler (Prime Minister) is now starting.
Interested candidates can announce their running starting immediately, by visiting the referendum page. All nobles of the realm will vote, each vote having the same weight.
You are invited to vote.

message to Mathias, Machiavel, Tan, Marco, Rurik, Edimilson, Kay, Oxi, Kendal, Pierre, Constantine, Ghaundan
The quarterly election for the position of General (General) is now starting.
Interested candidates can announce their running starting immediately, by visiting the referendum page. Only lords will vote, each vote having the same weight.
You are invited to vote.

message to Mathias, Machiavel, Tan, Marco, Rurik, Edimilson, Kay, Oxi, Kendal, Pierre, Constantine, Ghaundan
The quarterly election for the position of Judge (Confessor) is now starting.
Interested candidates can announce their running starting immediately, by visiting the referendum page. Only lords will vote, representing their region.
You are invited to vote.

The quarterly election for the position of Banker (Fiduciary) is now starting.
Interested candidates can announce their running starting immediately, by visiting the referendum page. Only lords will vote, each vote having the same weight.
You are invited to vote.

Man, these things were set so long ago... I may have even supported these. I seem to recall proposing the same vote for all lords as far as the banker go, and all lords according to knights for judge. Not sure why general and ruler aren't all lords according to knights as well...

Rynn has a lot of support from the new nobles, which typically blindly follow whoever ruled when they join the realm. I thought we had given rulership vote to lords only to prevent takeovers from large groups joining the realm...
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Tandaros

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #154: March 06, 2013, 08:51:16 PM »
They don't have to. Back in Madina, they made it so that only dukes could vote for the ruler, once, despite there only being 1 duke.

In Fheuv'n, only lords could vote.

I really thought that only lords could vote in D'Hara too... apparently that is the case, for some government positions. But not all, and not all in the same way. Not sure why...

Man, these things were set so long ago... I may have even supported these. I seem to recall proposing the same vote for all lords as far as the banker go, and all lords according to knights for judge. Not sure why general and ruler aren't all lords according to knights as well...

Rynn has a lot of support from the new nobles, which typically blindly follow whoever ruled when they join the realm. I thought we had given rulership vote to lords only to prevent takeovers from large groups joining the realm...

Dude, really? You're going to say we ruined the election? Maybe you're taking your man's loss a little too seriously.

And to say they're "blindly following the incumbent" is ridiculous and completely ignores the connections Rynn has made with the knighthood and the Midlands Council. Ismail used his Chairmanship as a political weapon to stop the lords from steamrolling the election. That's not blindness, that's just something you failed to factor in.

There's a whole knights-at-war side to D'Haran roleplay that might not happen on your high-political level of the game. The knights are loyal to those who are good to them, and among them is Rynn.

tl;dr: deal with it.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #155: March 06, 2013, 09:01:07 PM »
Dude, really? You're going to say we ruined the election? Maybe you're taking your man's loss a little too seriously.

And to say they're "blindly following the incumbent" is ridiculous and completely ignores the connections Rynn has made with the knighthood and the Midlands Council. Ismail used his Chairmanship as a political weapon to stop the lords from steamrolling the election. That's not blindness, that's just something you failed to factor in.

There's a whole knights-at-war side to D'Haran roleplay that might not happen on your high-political level of the game. The knights are loyal to those who are good to them, and among them is Rynn.

tl;dr: deal with it.

Okay, maybe I didn't choose the proper words, and it's true, I did not give Rynn his due credit. It's not purely blind following, you are quite right. He did have that play in his favor, but it was not limited to that. And don't take this as an insult, it's a phenomenon I consider universal, and that even I displayed on many occasions. Many people are naturally loyal to whoever was ruler at the time they joined the realm. I'm not saying it's bad, and I admit I was wrong to say this this was the only thing that made him win.

And you are quite right I failed to factor it in, I was completely oblivious to the fact that you couldn't vote. Hell, when I saw your letter, I literally said to myself "thank god he and the other unlanded nobles can't vote!".  ;D

Please do not mistake my words for bitterness, it was all in jest. Machiavel truly does like Rynn, and all he's done. As do I, as a player. I find all of the RP quite entertaining, and I doubt they'd have happened without Rynn's initiatives. Machiavel backed Pierre, but only for this specific term, he'd likely have supported Rynn again in 3 months. Time will tell if this will hurt relations between Machiavel and Rynn or not, however, because "I totally would have backed you up next time despite endorsing the other guy!" just doesn't fly as well as, you know, actually doing it.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #156: March 06, 2013, 09:27:52 PM »
Many people are naturally loyal to whoever was ruler at the time they joined the realm. I'm not saying it's bad, and I admit I was wrong to say this this was the only thing that made him win.

:-[ Rynn's loyal to Machiavel...
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #157: March 06, 2013, 09:53:54 PM »

And Machiavel is loyal to...

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #158: March 06, 2013, 09:57:51 PM »

Cenarious? Katayanna? ;D
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #159: March 06, 2013, 11:06:52 PM »
D'hara.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #160: March 06, 2013, 11:24:47 PM »
D'hara.

Hireshmont, his secret male lover.

There's some woman starting to butt in though...
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #161: March 06, 2013, 11:49:23 PM »

Machiavel didn't want to strip you of all of your titles, nor even be removed from the post permanently. He just felt that the odds of Luria Nova backing up on their word to attack Aurvandil and backstabbing D'Hara instead were lower if Pierre was ruler when Falkirk fell.   :-[

We should give each other a hug.  :-[

Tandaros

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #162: March 07, 2013, 01:52:39 AM »
Machiavel didn't want to strip you of all of your titles, nor even be removed from the post permanently. He just felt that the odds of Luria Nova backing up on their word to attack Aurvandil and backstabbing D'Hara instead were lower if Pierre was ruler when Falkirk fell.   :-[

We should give each other a hug.  :-[

Mootlings don't shake hands... mootlings HUUUUG.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #163: March 07, 2013, 02:01:32 AM »
Mootlings don't shake hands... mootlings HUUUUG.

And snuggle. Every elder decision in the 'moot is made official by collective snuggling.  8)

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #164: March 07, 2013, 02:28:25 AM »

Machiavel.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.