Author Topic: What makes a D'haran?  (Read 144915 times)

Tandaros

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: What makes a D'haran?
« Reply #180: March 07, 2013, 06:44:48 PM »
So—and I mean this with love—it seems like Rynn is kind of a populist demagoge that's appealing to sympathies and elements within the body politic of D'Hara whose interests aren't really advanced with peace. Meanwhile, Pierre is the candidate of choice for the establishment, which is seeking to protect and maybe marginally improve its holdings. Is that an accurate read of the situation?

Quite accurate actually.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #181: March 07, 2013, 10:03:07 PM »

Excessive hugging is grounds for war.

And you don't even have a character in Aurvandil?! Sounds like you would get along well there ::)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #182: March 07, 2013, 11:29:46 PM »
So—and I mean this with love—it seems like Rynn is kind of a populist demagoge that's appealing to sympathies and elements within the body politic of D'Hara whose interests aren't really advanced with peace. Meanwhile, Pierre is the candidate of choice for the establishment, which is seeking to protect and maybe marginally improve its holdings. Is that an accurate read of the situation?

The Midland Council is ruled by their hearts, whereas the House of Lords is ruled by the reason. That's how I would put it. ;)
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #183: March 08, 2013, 12:02:27 AM »
The Midland Council is ruled by their hearts, whereas the House of Lords is ruled by the reason. That's how I would put it. ;)

Was that intentional?

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #184: March 08, 2013, 12:04:23 AM »
Was that intentional?

Haha, if you mean "their" vs. "the", no. Lapsus, perhaps?  ;D
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #185: March 10, 2013, 08:23:12 PM »
The next few days will be interesting indeed. I wish this had all gone down on Friday so that we could all devote proper weekend time to it.  :-\
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #186: March 10, 2013, 10:15:57 PM »
The next few days will be interesting indeed. I wish this had all gone down on Friday so that we could all devote proper weekend time to it.  :-\

Um...you do realize, don't you, that a huge chunk of the BM population doesn't even log in on weekends...?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #187: March 10, 2013, 10:17:23 PM »
Um...you do realize, don't you, that a huge chunk of the BM population doesn't even log in on weekends...?

Haha, yea, I don't have much more time this and coming weekends. Less so, even.

D'Espana

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #188: March 11, 2013, 02:05:39 AM »

Quoted for real. I just spend the hours and I'm good to go.
D'Espana Family

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #189: March 11, 2013, 06:34:58 AM »
It be spring break for me.

Not logging very much at all.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #190: March 14, 2013, 11:52:45 PM »
Looks like Tarajist has a wealth of his own ideas as to what should make a D'Haran...  ???

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #191: March 14, 2013, 11:58:59 PM »
Looks like Tarajist has a wealth of his own ideas as to what should make a D'Haran...  ???
He is pissing me off, and I am trying to find where to report metagaming if he continues with his damned, "You guys are using the wrong definition of a republic! My dictionary I have right here says so you are all stupid because you don't use my definition of republic" (obviously he doesn't say exactly that).
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #192: March 15, 2013, 02:44:38 AM »
He is pissing me off, and I am trying to find where to report metagaming if he continues with his damned, "You guys are using the wrong definition of a republic! My dictionary I have right here says so you are all stupid because you don't use my definition of republic" (obviously he doesn't say exactly that).

I find such rhetorical debates to be rather dull. I also don't see where he got his definition of a republic being where all people get an equal say in everything, because that's not any RL example I can think of and certainly not most IG republics either. His attacks upon the Midland Council are more interesting, but debating what is and isn't a republic... urgh.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #193: March 15, 2013, 03:06:51 AM »
I find such rhetorical debates to be rather dull. I also don't see where he got his definition of a republic being where all people get an equal say in everything, because that's not any RL example I can think of and certainly not most IG republics either. His attacks upon the Midland Council are more interesting, but debating what is and isn't a republic... urgh.
This definition helps out his case somewhat:
a state in which the supreme power rests in the body of citizens entitled to vote and is exercised by representatives chosen directly or indirectly by them.
But this one, which is on the same page does not:
a state in which the head of government is not a monarch or other hereditary head of state.
I am happy to see arguing/politicking but its annoying when he can't stop complaining about a definition he found somewhere not agreeing with definition we use. Its completely meta. His complaints about the MC, I consider dumb, but I am not against them at all.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #194: March 15, 2013, 03:07:04 AM »
ballsy little spat, though. It's not everyday that any D'Haran stands up to Machiavel.

I don't even have a proper emote for that statement.