Author Topic: Show Lord's Tax Rates  (Read 2314 times)

Kwanstein

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Show Lord's Tax Rates
« Topic Start: January 06, 2013, 08:01:06 PM »
Most Lords are tyrants who tax their nobles the maximum 50% that they are able and others are poor businessmen who tax their regions far below the threshold that can be supported. It's usually prudent to avoid those types of Lords regardless of the overall sizes of the estates they offer.

Unfortunately the current region information pages don't allow you to do so efficiently, as they show you the estate sizes and whether they are vacant but omit all other information. The only way you're able to see the Lord's tax rates is to travel to a particular region in order to check the estates in person through the "manage estates" page. This is a major hinderance since in order to make an informed decision using it you'd have to spend days travelling region to region, recording the information outside of BM so that you don't forget it and then, once it's all collected, spend some additional amount of time travelling to whichever region you decide on taking.

That is such a difficult feat that it's downright impractical and I doubt anyone ever attempts it. More likely the most anyone is willing to do is to flip through the region information pages in search of the largest estate in the wealthiest region, tax rates be damned. This rewards Lord's who are tyrants or poor businessmen because there's little anyone can do to keep from falling prey to them.

Hence why I'd like to see more in-depth region information pages which include tax rates.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Show Lord's Tax Rates
« Reply #1: January 06, 2013, 08:24:20 PM »
Most Lords are tyrants who tax their nobles the maximum 50% that they are able and others are poor businessmen who tax their regions far below the threshold that can be supported. It's usually prudent to avoid those types of Lords regardless of the overall sizes of the estates they offer.

Unfortunately the current region information pages don't allow you to do so efficiently, as they show you the estate sizes and whether they are vacant but omit all other information. The only way you're able to see the Lord's tax rates is to travel to a particular region in order to check the estates in person through the "manage estates" page. This is a major hinderance since in order to make an informed decision using it you'd have to spend days travelling region to region, recording the information outside of BM so that you don't forget it and then, once it's all collected, spend some additional amount of time travelling to whichever region you decide on taking.

That is such a difficult feat that it's downright impractical and I doubt anyone ever attempts it. More likely the most anyone is willing to do is to flip through the region information pages in search of the largest estate in the wealthiest region, tax rates be damned. This rewards Lord's who are tyrants or poor businessmen because there's little anyone can do to keep from falling prey to them.

Hence why I'd like to see more in-depth region information pages which include tax rates.
Two things, first being you need proper format for this to be considered, and second talk to your banker. The lord isn't going to give that info out to just anyone for the very reasons you want it. If you want to know that info without talking to the banker you can, well at least the lords share you can but you have to do some work for it.  For the lords share as long as they have a knight, look at the realm tax, then compute how much the average knight should be getting for the region, then compare with what the actual average was to get the lords share %.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: January 12, 2013, 01:40:18 PM »
I think a better idea would be to have a page that lists all vacant estates and their calculated gold, including taxes.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: January 12, 2013, 03:29:14 PM »
I think a better idea would be to have a page that lists all vacant estates and their calculated gold, including taxes.

I calculate this manually, but this would be a GREAT tool for newbies or otherwise new nobles in the realm. A page with all of the available estates and their estimated income (plus lord taxes) would really be useful.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: January 12, 2013, 04:14:29 PM »
I calculate this manually, but this would be a GREAT tool for newbies or otherwise new nobles in the realm. A page with all of the available estates and their estimated income (plus lord taxes) would really be useful.
+1
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #5: January 12, 2013, 06:50:38 PM »

Agreed. Please write it up as a formal feature request so we can add it to the list of things to do.