Author Topic: And a new realm lives!  (Read 180864 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: And a new realm lives!
« Reply #480: January 25, 2013, 02:20:15 AM »
You'd be surprised how quickly people take the words of (game generated) guard over that of respected noblemen.

Honestly, one thing that drives me up the wall more than anything is someone trying to claim, despite all the evidence of many years of reliable reports, that this one report that says they did something bad is false.

Personally, I reject the notion that noblemen saw the world in such black-and-white terms that they would believe that a commoner who had served the realm faithfully for many years, delivering accurate reports, would suddenly and for no specific reason decide to claim falsely that a nobleman did something bad, over believing that the nobleman actually had done it, and was trying to lie to get out of punishment.

Believing that a habitual thief and liar is not telling the truth when he is accused of picking the Margrave's pocket? Sure. That makes perfect sense.
Believing that the Margrave's own eighty-year-old seneschal would falsely accuse the Margrave of some crime? That doesn't fly.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #481: January 25, 2013, 04:13:31 AM »
Yea, but if Bob the margrave says that his "own eighty-year-old seneschal" alerted him of duke George's misdoings, what's more probable: That duke George really did something wrong, or that margrave Bob is making it up?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
« Reply #482: January 25, 2013, 07:51:46 AM »
Swordfell makes me want to smash things. I'm dismayed at the OOC chatter and disappointed in the lack of adhering to the game mechanics. Seriously, rp only goes so far.

* Woelfy facedesks.

Ironsides

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #483: January 25, 2013, 07:55:58 AM »

Oh oh - looks like somebody doesn't like talking during a movie? Especially when everyone else BUT him is in on the wisecracking.

You know, you could always watch the DVD again later...just saying. 8)
Ironsides Family, mainly East Continent and Dwilight. I dip my toe into Atamara here and there

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
« Reply #484: January 25, 2013, 09:02:06 AM »
Ironsides, are you really that immature? I don't give two damns about whatever jokes are being made IC. I am disgusted at how little division is shown between Ooc and IC.

As a player, I am enjoying myself considerably reading all the nonsense in game. At the same time, it bothers me that the entire realm is being subjected to OOC conversations that have nothing to do with anything. It's an SMA island, not a forum to talk Ooc.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #485: January 25, 2013, 09:49:23 AM »
So what's up with Balance's Retreat being completely cut off from the rest of the realm?

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
« Reply #486: January 25, 2013, 09:56:32 AM »
North Divide was just taken, BR is connected to the rest of the 'civilized' lands finally.

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #487: January 25, 2013, 10:37:48 AM »
I don't believe the whole realm got a message about the banker doing something fishy, I think it's a character who brought forth an alleged game-generated report he got.

The only person who came forward with the message was one of Jonsu's biggest political oppenants, Edimilison. She had actually taken to cooking his books everytime he was disrespectful to her. He in private ordered Jonsu under his authority as Vice Marshal (quaking in my boots... >.<)  to give him a duchy's food reports. Jonsu told him to ask in a more respectful manner twice and he failed to comply and embezzled each time. However I will say my family wealth went up several thousand gold while Jonsu was banker :p
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #488: January 25, 2013, 01:40:24 PM »
The only person who came forward with the message was one of Jonsu's biggest political oppenants, Edimilison. She had actually taken to cooking his books everytime he was disrespectful to her. He in private ordered Jonsu under his authority as Vice Marshal (quaking in my boots... >.<)  to give him a duchy's food reports. Jonsu told him to ask in a more respectful manner twice and he failed to comply and embezzled each time. However I will say my family wealth went up several thousand gold while Jonsu was banker :p

Haha. Edimilson might have been Jonsu's most vocal political opponant, but I'm not convinced he was the actual biggest.  8)
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #489: January 25, 2013, 01:51:09 PM »
Haha. Edimilson might have been Jonsu's most vocal political opponant, but I'm not convinced he was the actual biggest.  8)

Touche.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #490: January 25, 2013, 02:24:13 PM »
Not to derail this thread, but it's an interesting topic that's come up re: trust and game-generated event messages. Scout reports (even when they're copy/pasted, as from a priest/ess), bank transaction records, failed report of assassination attempts, spel castings, market reports, etc., are all usually taken as articles of faith. We do this in part subconsciously, because a game needs a few points of stability that everyone can reference if the whole thing is going to work.

I came to see things this way because I noticed that, when one of these event messages appears, people almost always copy and paste the whole thing. Timestamp, heading, and all. They even do it when copy/pasting letters. It's already understood that these kinds of messages are important, and those little details add to the weight of the evidence. They're like seals of authenticity. Have people forged these? Yep. Is it allowed? Of course. Does it probably do more harm to the player community than it benefits any single individual? I think so. It's a sportsmanship question.

If we want to continue this discussion, I think it'd be a really interesting thread. It could even run through a series of questions like these. Now, back to the Odd Family that is Bowie and Sevastian.  ;)

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
« Reply #491: January 25, 2013, 08:54:02 PM »
Now, back to the Odd Family that is Bowie and Sevastian.  ;)

Hahaha, it's actually the Sevastian Show especially feat. Bowie the Imbecile Ironsides as the 'comedic' 'villain'. He may as well be an NPC as far as my character is concerned.

* Woelfy took a page out of Gustav's book.

egamma

« Reply #492: January 27, 2013, 04:53:16 PM »
Ironsides, are you really that immature? I don't give two damns about whatever jokes are being made IC. I am disgusted at how little division is shown between Ooc and IC.

As a player, I am enjoying myself considerably reading all the nonsense in game. At the same time, it bothers me that the entire realm is being subjected to OOC conversations that have nothing to do with anything. It's an SMA island, not a forum to talk Ooc.

You know, you don't always have to be on the receiving end of reporting:
http://battlemaster.org/testing/SMAReport.php

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #493: January 27, 2013, 07:51:10 PM »
That link does not work for me for some reason.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #494: January 27, 2013, 07:59:59 PM »
You may need to add www. to it.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.