Author Topic: Confirmation before call early taxes  (Read 4009 times)

Alasteir

• Knight
  • March!
    • View Profile
Confirmation before call early taxes
« Topic Start: January 10, 2013, 05:22:38 PM »
Title:
Confirmation before call early taxes

Summary:
Fixing the problem of unvoluntary or wrong taxes called early by the Banker.

Details:
It is something stupid, I know, but sometimes, the player just wrong click on the "call taxes" buttom, and the entire realm receive less than expected. The simply insert of a second question "are you sure you want to call the taxes early?" would fix this problem.

Benefits:
The obvious. Callingearly taxes is a desperate tool for war.

Possible Exploits:
None.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Confirmation before call early taxes
« Reply #1: January 10, 2013, 05:26:14 PM »
Are you sure? confirmation requests are generally rejected. Just be more careful next time, and blame the bureaucrats for the Early Taxes this time :) It's not such a huge loss I believe. You just get what's collected till then already, instead of waiting till later to receive ti all in one go.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: January 10, 2013, 05:26:30 PM »
No, not gonna happen.

a) "Are you sure?" screens are bad design. Look at Windows Vista UAC. All it does is teach the user/player to mindlessly click "yes".

b) What damage does calling early taxes do? It's not like it reduces the total amount of tax gold you're going to get. It just means you get what was in the Gold Collected pot earlier—which means there's not yet as much there.

The only possible damage I can see early tax doing is psychological, if people think you did it because you're desperate. If they think that, it's your job to convince them they're wrong.

(And if they think that, I would say there's already reason for them to suspect that the situation is desperate...)
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: January 10, 2013, 10:36:18 PM »
No, not gonna happen.

a) "Are you sure?" screens are bad design. Look at Windows Vista UAC. All it does is teach the user/player to mindlessly click "yes".

b) What damage does calling early taxes do? It's not like it reduces the total amount of tax gold you're going to get. It just means you get what was in the Gold Collected pot earlier—which means there's not yet as much there.

The only possible damage I can see early tax doing is psychological, if people think you did it because you're desperate. If they think that, it's your job to convince them they're wrong.

(And if they think that, I would say there's already reason for them to suspect that the situation is desperate...)
a) There is one for religion spreads which cost 5 gold and an hour but its absurd to have one when it affects the entire realm.

b) A better question is what can't it mess up. You have your troops paid weekly which costs lets say 75 gold bit because of the early tax you only got 50 gold. You were planning on building something, and it is rather urgent or even if its not but you have an early tax and now have to wait a week because you didn't get the usual amount. Something to build that could be urgent is finishing off fortifications but now you didn't get enough gold. If the army was about to start heading back to the capital so they arrived on tax day, now they might not end up with enough funds to do a proper refit.

I think that something so tiny as a religion spread needs an are you sure page but not doing it for something that affects so many people is kinda ridiculous. If you are not willing to do that at least make more space between that and food report as they are quite close and as a mobile user that frequently use the food report its rather annoying how precise I need to be to make sure I don't click early tax.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: January 10, 2013, 10:45:19 PM »
So call another early tax in another two or so days.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #5: January 11, 2013, 12:47:00 AM »
a) There is one for religion spreads

No, there is not. There is a page with more details and the actual action link, like there is for many pages.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: January 11, 2013, 12:57:47 AM »
No, there is not. There is a page with more details and the actual action link, like there is for many pages.
I consider that an are you sure page.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #7: January 11, 2013, 01:06:12 AM »
I consider that an are you sure page.

I don't. Such a page is when you have issued an order and the computer asks you the same question again. There is a bit of additional information on this page. Granted, it isn't much, but the argument that we added an are-you-sure page for this, then why not for something else assumes that it is INTENDED to be an are-you-sure page, and it isn't.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: January 11, 2013, 05:47:38 AM »
I don't. Such a page is when you have issued an order and the computer asks you the same question again. There is a bit of additional information on this page. Granted, it isn't much, but the argument that we added an are-you-sure page for this, then why not for something else assumes that it is INTENDED to be an are-you-sure page, and it isn't.
Fine but as I also said, if you won't do the second page, please at least make more space between early taxes and food report as food report is generally used quite often and it's annoying to have to make sure you are so precise when on a mobile device.
― G.K. Chesterton

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: January 12, 2013, 12:20:56 AM »
Calling early taxes is a relatively benign mistake. No gold is lost.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: January 12, 2013, 12:23:40 AM »
Calling early taxes is a relatively benign mistake. No gold is lost.
Maybe it is but it isn't exactly a lot of coding to add a break or enter or whatever in between early taxes and food report.
― G.K. Chesterton