Author Topic: What makes a good BM religion?  (Read 33229 times)

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
Re: What makes a good BM religion?
« Reply #90: January 22, 2013, 03:56:01 AM »
What is the difference between this and "Cause Unrest"?

Is there an existing Cause Unrest option?  If so, awesome!  (You can see how often I've used offensive Priest mechanics.)

I actually enjoy the fact that priests options are completely detached from military game mechanics. However, considering that this only involves TO and not battles.... I see how it could be interesting, as long as it does not start a slippery slope towards the priest-as-warlock idea.

God yes, TO's only not actual fighting, and no magic warlock priests.  Priests have perfectly good influence options of their own historically, no need to raise the fantasy level of the game higher than it already is.

The problem I have with this one is that it should really be only possible for the Lord of the region. The Hagia Sophia was repurposed after the conquest of Constantinople, it's not like a foreign rogue imam led a mob and took it over.

Fair point.  I was thinking of offensive uses of religion in general, and I think you are right that it would be better for a region lord to repurpose temples.  Unless...What if we just make it a requirement that you can only repurpose a structure to the faith of the current lord?  That would actually make the most sense, I think.

This is a good idea, probably only useful in desperate times, which is when people would be turning to religions for help.

Precisely!  Plus, highly historically accurate.  Happened all the damn time.  Still does, at that.

Priests aiding friendly TOs makes sense.

I'm having a hard time understanding what a priest could plausibly do to help unfriendly TOs.

Either Indirik or vonGenf's suggestions work.  Offer sanctuary and gain gratitude, offer to mediate with the invading troops, help ease the suffering...Or...Lead a mob to burn out the tax collectors of the old regime who are clearly Satan's minions (never mind that half of them are part of our church, ignore the man behind the curtain), convert and be spared the sword, inquisitions to root our heresy and anarchists (fighting against the proper order is heresy, right?)...

The possibilities really are endless.  I can keep going if you like.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"