Author Topic: The Future of Atamara (Post-Great Atamaran War)  (Read 111186 times)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
Re: The Future of Atamara (Post-Great Atamaran War)
« Reply #210: February 16, 2013, 06:34:20 PM »
Honestly, the only two things that surprise me about this list are that Armonía is on it, and that CE isn't. They're actually down at a ratio of 1.15—though I do wonder, if I analyzed those 15% of its players who have 2 characters in the realm, how many of them would be old-timers.

I bet you'd see a HEAVY correlation between old-timers and having two nobles in a realm.

This is a slightly skewed statistic because old-timers are more likely to have enough noble characters to be able to spare a second noble in the same realm.

For instance, I have two chars in Coria. We needed them for estates when noble counts were dropping everywhere about 2 years ago. Never found a reason to leave with the char.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #211: February 16, 2013, 06:52:02 PM »
I should note, one statistic I do have access to right now is what percentage of players in a realm play either only on that continent, or only within that one realm. On Atamara, Darka is well up there in that statistic, with 13% of its players playing nowhere but Darka, though Carelia and Talerium have it solidly beaten, with 20%. (That's not because of new players, either; the statistics take that into account.)
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #212: February 16, 2013, 06:54:11 PM »
YEah, now it's 1.29...

Add in the folks who've recently bumped a character over to Hawthorne, Rieleston, or Darka.

I'll bet Eston was #1.

You're absolutely right. Rolling back the data to last October, Eston's ratio was 1.48.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #213: February 16, 2013, 06:56:07 PM »
Honestly, the only two things that surprise me about this list are that Armonía is on it, and that CE isn't. They're actually down at a ratio of 1.15—though I do wonder, if I analyzed those 15% of its players who have 2 characters in the realm, how many of them would be old-timers.

CE probably isn't on it because there are so many characters in the realm overall (70+). The sheer number of them dilutes the ratio. Armonia's problem is likely the opposite: A few players with two characters in a realm that doesn't have that many characters to begin with (ditto for OI). Do you happen to have statistics for the absolute number of players with two characters in each realm? I'd be curious to see those stats as well.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #214: February 16, 2013, 08:21:03 PM »
I don't know why you two act as though this was some minor tantrum instead of a mostly well-executed and RP'd plan.  Seriously, the amount of mudslinging and whining towards Rieleston from you two on this board is...excessive and doesn't yet appear to be therapeutic.

The two of you constantly rewrite the details surrounding Rieleston, but I feel compelled to speak up when things get really inaccurate.

I don't think I, or anyone else, has ever said that the Rieleston issue wasn't good RP or anything. It was fine, it was fun. I enjoyed it, and haven't said anything otherwise. It was a good thing for Eston and it was refreshing to see some actual conflict in Eston. Kerwin obviously disliked it, and it obviously hurt Eston in terms of the war. But the conflict between Kerwin and those loyal to him such as Cyrilos, Azreal, Kealan/Luka and Christopher, Arturius, Elroy, etc. was a lot of fun. I've literally never said it wasn't RPed or played out effectively.

What I have said, and what is true, is that Rieleston is the pet project of an exclusive group of old time players with little interest in involving other people in their group and who perpetuate their group through the use of extremely old characters, second "ghost" characters, and "I'm this guy's son treat me the same as him, 2.0" characters.

....the average age of the High Council was 68.

I think I've only ever even had 1, MAYBE 2 characters EVER get to 68, let alone a whole realm governed by nobles whose AVERAGE age is 68.

Keeping in mind that Kerwin, the King, is only now 54.

It is funny to think that Eston's long time General (the one who quit the game recently) was a 70something year old woman!
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215: February 16, 2013, 08:24:08 PM »
It is funny to think that Eston's long time General (the one who quit the game recently) was a 70something year old woman!
...who everyone thought was a man.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #216: February 16, 2013, 08:37:00 PM »

Really, lol? Never knew that. People in Eston didn't at least. Propably because she was often referenced as "my sister" by her brother character, Kealan, who was Duke of Hawthorne.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #217: February 16, 2013, 08:40:22 PM »
"Luka" sounds like a male name. At least to me. Also, "Luka" is the name of the young boy that lives "on the second floor" in that 80's pop song. I believe that the player once said that he picked the name Luka for his female character because at the time he had interpreted the song incorrectly, and thought Luka was the girl in the song rather than the boy.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Uzamaki

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #218: February 16, 2013, 09:52:40 PM »

... That was a woman?

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #219: February 16, 2013, 09:53:41 PM »
:D
All these years i thought HE was a man!
~Violence is always an option!~

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #220: February 17, 2013, 02:08:36 AM »
Luka was a woman?

Woops... coulda' fooled me.

You're absolutely right. Rolling back the data to last October, Eston's ratio was 1.48.

Thought as much.

I will now rest on my laurels on this particular point.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

GoldPanda

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
------
qui audet vincit

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #222: February 22, 2013, 07:55:00 AM »
Gosh... thanks to CE crippling Eston and empowering Rieleston, Rieleston is becoming the exact same pit of stodgy old players with multiple characters, with an elite circle of friends that Eston was before. That group of players, man. They are awful.

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #223: February 22, 2013, 09:07:45 AM »
Except that they are now CE's buddies! I bet CE aint giving those regions to Realston free... there is demand behind all that luxury they get :)

-Jaune
~Violence is always an option!~

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #224: February 22, 2013, 09:09:43 AM »
Except that they are now CE's buddies! I bet CE aint giving those regions to Realston free... there is demand behind all that luxury they get :)

-Jaune
]

They aren't. "Become our puppet and we'll give you regions."

Then future Rieleston members will be like, "but CE has always been friendly to us..."
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."