Author Topic: Tournament-No Government members allowed?  (Read 5861 times)

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Tournament-No Government members allowed?
« Topic Start: January 28, 2013, 05:18:19 AM »
What's the rationale behind not allowing government members to attend tournaments?
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Poliorketes

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Tournament-No Government members allowed?
« Reply #1: January 29, 2013, 11:30:58 AM »
What's the rationale behind not allowing government members to attend tournaments?

Topic: Tournament-No Government members allowed?  (Read 37 times, 0 Replies)... mmm... maybe none?  :P

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: January 29, 2013, 02:26:51 PM »

As I understand it, because running a realm requires effort, and it won't do to have councilors cavorting around the continent neglecting their duties. There was a time, on EC for example, when a tournament was held weekly.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: January 29, 2013, 02:31:23 PM »
As I understand it, because running a realm requires effort, and it won't do to have councilors cavorting around the continent neglecting their duties.

Shouldn't that be up to the councilors?
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #4: January 29, 2013, 03:31:53 PM »
Yeah, isn't it part of the IR that no one can tell you that you can't go to a tournament?

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: January 29, 2013, 03:44:23 PM »
You aren't forced to be a Councilor. IRs don't apply. Now, that's not to say that there haven't been very good points raised in this thread. What we need, then, is a proper feature request.  ;)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: January 29, 2013, 03:48:34 PM »
I'm fairly certain there is a thread on the forums about this. I think Tom said something about allowing some characters other than the councilors to be the center of attention for a little bit.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: January 29, 2013, 07:52:41 PM »
I don't remember ever being given a satisfying answer, but this has come up a few times over the years.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: January 30, 2013, 07:18:57 AM »
I'm fairly certain there is a thread on the forums about this. I think Tom said something about allowing some characters other than the councilors to be the center of attention for a little bit.

If you need a tournament to get attention as a council member, I'd say you're not doing your day job right :p

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: January 30, 2013, 09:52:04 AM »
If you need a tournament to get attention as a council member, I'd say you're not doing your day job right :p

That's not really the point. Even if you are doing your job right and don't need extra attention, it may be fun to participate in tournaments and relax a bit.

I remember Tom mentioning that it wouldn't be realistic for Kings to participate as no one in their right mind would beat them, people would just fold. Taking that argument to its logical conclusions, however, it's Dukes who should be banned, and not bankers.....
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #10: January 30, 2013, 11:24:43 AM »
Would still be nice if we could go as observers.

Nice option would be for observing priests to be able to give sermons/convert nobles while present and/or offer blessings to participants.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: January 30, 2013, 03:35:14 PM »
An observer status at tournaments would be nice.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: January 30, 2013, 03:36:26 PM »
An observer status at tournaments would be nice.

I agree, and some of the framework is already in place.

I think that this is the kind of thing that can probably be implemented without too much extra hassle once the Doctrine transition is done. (Unless Tom drops in and simply says, "No," which I don't think he will, given his comments on the subject in the past.)
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: January 30, 2013, 06:49:07 PM »
Mmm.. probably idle hope, but if the observe feature gets added, perhaps... give council members a chance to compete in a disguise? They'd get none of the honor/fame but still take home gold. And it might make people curious as to who the mysterious masked figure could be :P

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: January 30, 2013, 07:19:47 PM »
So you could compete as the Black Knight? And have a random chance that you get unmasked during the competition, and then *lose* prestige for the deception! :P